Forks with external springs that can accept cartridge emulators?

Rimmy

Been Around the Block
Just coming up with ideas for a future build. Does anyone know of any Japanese/Metric bikes that have external springs that will be able to accept emulators? I know the early CB350's and CB450s have the external springs, but according to the RaceTech website they don't accept emulators. Does anyone have any suggestions on other bikes that have external springs? Bonus points if you already know if they can take the emulators or not.

Good question:
Emulators sit on top of damping rods and are held in place by the springs which sit of top of them. Simple answer then is that a fork with external springs cannot be fitted with emulators... Unless. Unless you find a way to secure the emulators to the top of the damping rods.

One possible way would be to fit lighter springs inside and then get some really light springs to fit externally on a set of new spring seats. make sure that the combined spring rate is close to the originals.

IIRC, early Hondas all used a shuttle valve damping design and that includes CB160/175/72/77 and I think early 450 and 350 twins, so that rules them out for conversion. Unless....

It might be possible to modify a set of early forks to fit cartridges inside and then find suitable external springs.. Lots of work and no guarantee it would work.

And you would still have skinny flexy rubber forks.

How about fitting a set of more modern RWU forks and work from that point.

Teazer,

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at both parts fische's and I see what you mean now. This is mostly a though exercise now though. I really like the look of the external springs, but wouldn't want to just toss something onto a project because it looks cool, it should function well too in my opinion. So at least upgrading the damping would make me feel a bit better about tossing older tech onto a bike.

I'd have to get my hands on an actual set of fork tubes, but I'm wondering if I could make an adapter to sit at the bottom of the tubes that would make a nice interference fit between the tube and emulator. Hold it in place, and not have to worry then.

Back
Top Bottom