Any way to repair worn slide bores in otherwise good carbs. ?

You may look into Amal carb rebuilding places. I'm not a vintage British guy, but I think those carbs get resleeved alot? Maybe they could help you out.

This is a limited production Keihin carb. that only came on the 78' CB125S, a #PD66 and it performs good along w/ the atomizer plate that came stock on that model/yr. bike. I want to adapt it to my XL200R engine w/ the ported head,etc. that I'll be installing in the bike.
I want to restore the slide bore so it's as good as can be,I don't mind spending a little to do that.The carb. has a bit of corrosion along w/ the PO running it w/o a filter and the slide fits a bit loose but the slide itself is mint..;I want to make it Nice again. Here's a couple pics

Attachments

• DSCN1756.JPG
    DSCN1756.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 223
  • DSCN1754.JPG
    DSCN1754.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 200
  • DSCN1752.JPG
    DSCN1752.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 216
  • DSCN1753.JPG
    DSCN1753.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 180
you cant plate the alloy body and sleeving it would be cost prohibitive

its also small for that engine most of the guys toss the kehin and put a tm28 flat slide on them

cxman said:
you cant plate the alloy body and sleeving it would be cost prohibitive

its also small for that engine most of the guys toss the kehin and put a tm28 flat slide on them

I'll figure out a way to do it :)
I like this little carb. & just hate to toss it away. There's also a small hard plastic 'slide locating peg' on one side to keep the slide inline and that will have to be re-installed.

I think the point being made is that a carb designed for a 125cc commuter bike isn't going to function w an XL200 motor.

VonYinzer said:
I think the point being made is that a carb designed for a 125cc commuter bike isn't going to function w an XL200 motor.

I understand ;) I've got a couple different engines w/ different carbs. that I'll be using though and truly desire to 'tighten up' the bore on this little carb.

Is the carb aluminum or zinc? Guessing aluminum. Anodizing maybe. A good machinist could bore it out and resleeve it. " If there is a will, there is a way". My Mom used to say that. She is mostly right! Let me know what your solution is.

jimmer said:
Is the carb aluminum or zinc? Guessing aluminum. Anodizing maybe. A good machinist could bore it out and resleeve it. " If there is a will, there is a way". My Mom used to say that. She is mostly right! Let me know what your solution is.

This is a Keihin oem aluminum carb.
Thanks for the encouragement jimmer,I'm trying right now to find a place that will re-sleeve it similar to how they do vintage Amal British carbs. only difference is this one has the plastic locating 'peg' for the slide.

you might look into getting the slide coated with high temp silicone coatoing

a buddy if mike works for joe gibbs and they do a bunchof there stuff in this

he got me some of my intakes done and the have held up really well

the point is i think it grows the surface about 4 thou and you can coat it a few times

so i am wondering if you coat the slide then ream the bore to re fit

it may cure your problem and give it (the slide ) a non wear surface

you should also check the slide carefully they wear as well as the bore

if you need the name of the coating i can find out what it is exactly and who can do it

you could also find out if one of the teflon coating process build thickness

cxman said:
you might look into getting the slide coated with high temp silicone coatoing

a buddy if mike works for joe gibbs and they do a bunchof there stuff in this

he got me some of my intakes done and the have held up really well

the point is i think it grows the surface about 4 thou and you can coat it a few times

so i am wondering if you coat the slide then ream the bore to re fit

it may cure your problem and give it (the slide ) a non wear surface

you should also check the slide carefully they wear as well as the bore

if you need the name of the coating i can find out what it is exactly and who can do it

you could also find out if one of the teflon coating process build thickness

yeah,that's what i was originally thinking..coating the slide itself because it's in great cond. only,the slide bore inside the carb. is corroded down bottom on the sides more than anywhere else and i should get the bore sleeved

grcamna5 said:
yeah,that's what i was originally thinking..coating the slide itself because it's in great cond. only,the slide bore inside the carb. is corroded down bottom on the sides more than anywhere else and i should get the bore sleeved

The more I consider it I think it will make the most sense for me to get the carb slide bore coated which will fill-in where the corrosion has gotten a hold of the slide bore down the bottom.I've decided to keep this carb. body because it's what I'm looking for.

Now.. to find a place that will apply a durable coating to the slide bore,that's the 'challenge' ::) :)

Back
Top Bottom