My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project *Update*

I have the engine apart now and found transmission oil in the crankcase so it must have leaked through the dodgy center seals. I will be sending the crank off to Bill Bune this week to split it and install the new seals. He will also be removing the oil slinger washers from the crankshaft and replacing them with a small diameter shim washer as I have decided to run the bike on premix. I'm also sending them the cylinders to bore them for the new Wossner forged pistons.
While that is being done I am going to totally go through the carbs even though they are almost new they have had ethanol fuel in them and they have sat for at least a year so who knows what that will be like in side. No more ethanol for me in this bike :)

On a different note I have also decided to run clipons now in favor of the high bars. I am going to be riding the bike at trackdays mostly so this will make it more suitable for that. I have other bikes with high bars ;D I will be looking to add an electronic tacho/speedo as well probably an Acewell. Not sure how easy that is to install yet.

Glad to seee you're doing better and back to work on the bike

Time to reassemble :)

Attachments

• IMG_4742 (1).JPG
    IMG_4742 (1).JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 710

John, when you tore the motor down, did you find anything unusual or out of spec.? Something that may answer the question of why it didn't run as well as hoped for? Did you modify anything for the "new" motor?
Cheers, 50gary

Yes Gary, there was trans oil in the crankcase and gas in the transmission so that confirms that the center seals on the crankshaft were bad. I have converted to premix, this involved removing the oil slingers on the crankshaft and replacing with equal thickness shim washers and drilling holes in the crankcase through the transfers to the bearings. I bored the cylinders 1mm over and I'm using Wossner forged pistons. I also skimmed 0.020" off of the heads which I should have done when I first built the engine (I got impatient ;D). I have a good baseline for the carbs now as well from someone that has run 34 vm's on a t500 with similar tune!

Sounds like a good plan, I'm happy with my oil pump, yeah Eric K. says to skim the heads. Your bike (and you) have a bunch of fans here so keep us posted. I almost have mine finished, painting soon. I used a Ninja 300 swingarm (20.5") that I did the reverse conversion, from mono to twin shocks. De-raked it to 24.8 degrees. Modest rearsets and a thumb brake for the rear. I'll send a picture when the time comes.
Cheers, 50gary

Thanks Gary, do you have a build thread anywhere for your bike (maybe on another forum)?
I'm going to be running the bike on Sunnoco 110 leaded race gas, no more ethanol going in these carbs when I have them all cleaned out ;D

Ok well my excitement has turned to frustration as I started to reassemble the engine I noticed the thread on the end of the crankshaft is severely damaged. I suspect it happened in shipping. Not sure what I'm going to do as it looks way too bad to just clean it up :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_4756.JPG
    IMG_4756.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_4757.JPG
    IMG_4757.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_4758.JPG
    IMG_4758.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 612

how does that even happen, it is really bent bad. That sucks, can a machine shop fix that?

Not good. How long do es the thread have to be to retain the rotor? and if you replaced the plain nut and lock washer with a Fuji nut or Loctite, do you have enough good threads left?

If not, the end could be cut off and the crank end drilled and tapped for a bolt or insert a stud.

Or find some way to roll the thread back into shape starting close to the flywheel and rolling it out towards the end.

by the looks of it in the pic, at least the last 3 threads are fubared but could be cut off and the rest cleaned up with a die......should still have enough for the nut that goes on the end

Kamn said:
by the looks of it in the pic, at least the last 3 threads are fubared but could be cut off and the rest cleaned up with a die......should still have enough for the nut that goes on the end

Yes, I think a combination of yours and Teazers ideas I can do it. I will cut 3mm off then try to clean up the rest (there is about 7mm that is damaged). I'll use a thin shakeproof washer instead of the lock washer that way the nut should end up about flush with the end of the shaft. And btw I am the machine shop ;D I probably could have done the crank rebuild myself using a friends press but it's a pain making up all the pieces to press the shafts out and back in.

Well I've dodged a bullet here, had to put on my old craftsmans hat to fix this one ;D Hacksaw and needle files did the trick! In the pic with the rotor and nut on the shaft there is no lock washer under the nut so it will probably end up right about flush if I just use a shakeproof washer. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Attachments

• IMG_4759.JPG
    IMG_4759.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_4760.JPG
    IMG_4760.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 877
Back
Top Bottom