Couple of CL350's

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
While one could be considered a restoration, the other doesn't really fit into a particular category....tracker, cafe, brat, etc.....so I thought I'd post it here.

It started when I found a '71 CL350 on Craigslist for $250. I've never been that big of a CB350 guy, but the scrambler pipes always got me, so I grabbed it.

Before:

After:

But this thread is really about the "parts bike" I bought for the '71. 8)

While looking for parts, I found a titled frame, boxes of parts and a buy-it-now price of $125 on eBay. I waited several days hoping someone would get it. Finally, I contacted a friend that lived nearby (it was in VA, I'm in SC) and he agreed to pick it up for me, so I bought it.

It came with a new gasket set, rings, cam chain roller, etc. Stuff worth more than the asking price. Rather than use it for parts, I started putting it together.... like I needed ANOTHER bike. ::)

Rebuilt the forks, painted the frame, packed the steering stem bearings and greased the swing arm. I had to replace the rear wheel, as it was rough and the axle was actually frozen in place.
I found a wheel with tire on eBay for cheap; only $49. I had a roller with rebuilt suspension and a new front tire for about $100.

Installed some vintage Magura bars I picked up at Barber a couple of years ago.

The pipes had been cut. I had these mufflers laying around. Also a Barber find.... about $20/pair.

Polished up the pipes....

And mocked up the exhaust. Kind of reminds me of the old Harley XR750 pipes.

Rebuilt the carbs and then sent them to CrazyPJ for the "pods mod". I'll be running genuine K&N filters.

Low profile seat from eBay. This thing is damn nice and well worth the money.

Powder coated the front and rear fenders (bobbed the rear slightly) and the rusty heat shield. Got the exhaust installed after making a hanger for the mufflers.

Magura bars, cmon.... Good attention to detail. Great bike with just enough trick stuff. Like the pods under the covers. Except for the blinkers (not much you can do about them) you made the bike look period correct modified. The blinkers being black almost makes them disappear so you can see the cool stuff. The proportions look very good. This is a very well thought out bike.

I'm having a helluva time getting the chrome headlight ring on the bucket. It's the correct one for the metal bucket. Any hints?

If it's like all the ones I have installed it will only fit one way but all 3 screw holes will line up when it is wrong and not quite go together, keep rotating it one hole at a time and one way will fit in flush and line up LOL

Back
Top Bottom