1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" (Another Boat)

Re: 1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" (Another Boat)

Beautiful work man. I have built a few boats but I really love to see the detail in a fine resto like this.

Hopefully you get it in the water while the weather is good!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

tumblr_inline_mpq6nwadSC1qz4rgp.png

SPLASH!

25 Months later I can proudly say that the El Dorado project has come to fruition! We have had a successful splash yesterday with nearly perfect weather. My mom and brother came out for the occasion (and to provide a 390HP tow boat if needed) we spent the day out on beautiful Lake St Clair and went for dinner on the water in the boats. It was a quiet day on the water compared to the day before but I didn't even set anchor at the sand bar without 2 people coming over to admire the boat and tell me how much they loved it! One invited me to show it at a big classic boat show this weekend but unfortunately I have to work. Thank you everyone here I would not have been able to complete this project without your help and encouragement. I hope I can relax and enjoy this for a little before the next old boat follows my car back to the shop haha, There is always the next project, but it will have to be really cool and unique if it can compare to this one. ....Maybe something with big retro fins.... ;D

I was out on the boat the other day on a Tuesday afternoon and this guy came up on a dingy, he told me that his dad owned the same boat back in 1960 and had it for years, we talked about some of the memories of the boat and it turned out that even though the boat was long gone, he still had the OE canvas cover in his garage! I was a little skeptical but we traded numbers and yesterday I went over to his house and sure enough he unfolds this big old canvas (with authentic old canvas smell) and on one side you could still make out the outline of the boat including the hand rails on the roof. A little while later I was the proud new owner! For being over 55 years old it is still in great shape. This should be a really nice and work a lot better than the 5 tarps I am using now.

Back
Top Bottom