Rd350a restoration, my first attempt

cgadaleta

After a 3 hour drive in a van I "borrowed" from work, my brother and I rolled up to the small victorian town of Broadford. As we went down the single main road of the town towards our destination we saw something very unique and quite old, the Australian veteran car club was stopped there, streets lined with old alfa's, pugeots, and fords just to name a few.

But that wasn't the reason of our trip. Broadford is semi-famous for its racetrack, specifically its motorcycle racetrack where there is an annual event for bikes over 25 years old. Unfortunately we had missed that by about 6 months but if it was that time of year someone surely would have snapped up the hidden gold we were there to see.

The ad was for an all original 1975 yamaha rd350 with just over four thousand miles, running smoothly and in "excellent condition". The price was about a quarter of what it should have been with that kind of description, I was hoping the seller just didn't know what he had!

I was dead right, not a clue what he had, apparently he was an xs650 man that bought 4 RDs from a guy as a favour. The reason I say he had no idea what he had is because of the condition, clearly not original on manly levels, almost definitely rebuilt, the tank was dented and the Chrome mildly pitted in areas. There was fork oil dripping down and the sight glass had been plugged with gasket goo.

Hidden away in the corner was a badly faded but mostly complete rd350a, a bit of damage on the side from where a prevous rider had run out of skill but over all a nice base for a project. After some negotiations I realized the most cost effective way to buy off this guy was to take the orange rd350b as well at the pinky-red rd350a

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

sujy6eje.jpg

2 rd350s came home, the 350a for me and the 350b as a project for my dad and I to work on.

esa2uqun.jpg

The rd350a had just over 8 thousand miles, wouldn't spark or get fuel into the barrels, luckily the oil pump worked but the cable to the throttle kept jumping off the pully. Tyres held air but by the registration sticker on the fork it hadnt seen proper tarmac since august '78.

myqy3a5a.jpg

budupagu.jpg

The original tank was missing but the seller had a spare, rough and no key so condition inside was unknown.

Rationalization is what makes us human. I say embrace it.

stroker crazy said:
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

Well he wanted 4500 for the orange, 3500 for the red and I talked him down to 5500 for both

4500 bucks is a 1/4 what it's worth?
Fuck Australia.

On second thought, want to sell some bikes for me if I ship them over :eek:

Not quite, I wrote that thinking of the 3500 I was prepared to pay after a bit of haggling, a mint original 350 in Australia is 8-14k and a rough bike is 4-6k

All the deadly creatures and overpriced bikes eek!
Seriously though nice bikes and I'll watch ya build em

Unfortunately on this resto, 90% of the work is done befofe I joined DTT so it wont be well documented like my kh100 build is.

After getting the bike home I stried to start her, run some injector cleaner through a gatorade bottle hooked up to some fuel hose straight into the carbies, it would then wet the plugs but still no spark.

Popped open the points cover, cleaned up the points and give her a kick. RING-DING-A-DING! Running very rough, but running none the less.

Over the following few weeks I stripped the bike for painting

7arunatu.jpg

I couldn't believe how much loom was crammed behind the headlight!

4u5epa4e.jpg

ydymu7un.jpg

The forks came off and seals replaced, everything was cleaned to within an inch of its life, and then the waiting began. As I had gone out of my way to get a top notch painter to colour match the original paint it took 6 weeks for a spot innhis queue...

And it was worth every second of that wait!

azy3a3a6.jpg

After the painted parts came back it was reassembly time!
u8ymyqe9.jpg

She was in one piece again, all she needed was a tune and some fresh rubber!

On came thr pirelli sport demons, as well as a new chain while I was there. I couldn't believe how hard it was to pull off 40 year old rubber, but with some power tools it came off in pieces X)

Tuning was a bit of an issue, it looks like a PO up jetted the mains a size but I had to wait 2 weeks to get some jets from the states. In that time I rode her a bit but she was missing some power.
udu5ubab.jpg

In the wait for the jets I decided to take the side covers off, as well as the switches and everything else black to paint it in satin black and to make her really look the part, I discovered how much I dislike painting, and am procrastinating with my kh100 build in the meantime.

Things to do now:
-fit the new seat cover which arrived the other day
-fit the jets and tune the bike
- source a new rh pipe, mine has some road rash on it unfortunately
-finish off painting the switches and covers
-apply new decals to ignition cover and switches
-ride and enjoy for the next 10 months until I'm on an unrestriced license and get myself a kwaka h2 ;)

Is more for size, im 6'4 so the Rd is a little small, would probably consider a h1, t500, gt550 or an rd400 for size

Back
Top Bottom