My first build - 75 Honda CL360 Scrambler

Before getting a kit you need to make sure the bearing housing is OK. It's simple enough to remove generator cover then remove starter clutch parts. You need to check housing isn't cracked or excess wear on the ramps. It may be just the springs but in my experience it's usually something else which has caused them to fail

Will do, thanks PJ. So if my housing is cracked I'm thinking about buying the used one on eBay and rebuilding it with the kit before installing it because I don't want to have to do this twice.
On another site a guy said "I found that there was a removal tool that is essentially a 18mm thread at a 1.5 pitch. These tools can be had for about 8 to 17 dollars plus shipping. After looking all over for bolts,I found that some Home Depots have them. In any case,I had one shipped free to my local store for a total cost of about 3.50."
Do you know what he's talking about? It's not going to kill me to spend $17 on the tool but if I'm only going to use it once I'd rather spend $3.50.

Oh and I have another question, unrelated. The front fender bolt holes no longer line up now that I have a bigger tire on the front. It must sit at a different angle now. What have other guys done in this situation? I was thinking about making an extension bracket like what's in red in this awful diagram i made for one of the bolts but is there a better way?

Attachments

• fender.png
    fender.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 199
The rotor too is 16mm, not 18.
Get the proper tool, standard bolts will be really shitty, the rotor can be tough to pull off... a 3$ bolt will fall up threads and make things worse.
Bike bandit has the motion pro tool for 7$

thanks for the tip, not sure why common motor is twice as much. Here's the link if anyone needs it:
Motion Pro Flywheel Puller M16x1.5 Right-Hand
https://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tools/motorcycle-tools/motorcycle-hand-tools/motion-pro-flywheel-puller-m16x1-5-right-hand/p/1753?b=24764&m=151849

Post a pic of front end, there is no reason stock fender shouldn't fit with a 3.50 tyre, even 19".
CMC is about double price for everything as her's a 'one man band' trying to make a living from vintage bikes. Not sure it'sd possible which is why I keep it a hobby. It stops being fun when you HAVE to do it

You can see I have the front bolt in place and the rear bolt is way too low. If I try to tilt it back it hits the tire. If I flip it around I have the same problem. What really throws me off is that the bolt holes in the fork are right across from each other but the hole in the fender is an inch lower.

Attachments

• fender1.jpg
    fender1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 568
Either you have that fender on backwards, or that's not a 360 fender. The hole placement showing in the right pic is not right for a 360.

It's the same fender that I pulled off the bike when I bought it tho

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_20160812_202257244.jpg
    IMG_20160812_202257244.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
djsmiles said:
It's the same fender that I pulled off the bike when I bought it tho

You can see in this picture one of the bolt holes isn't used, the 2 stays and the one hole are how it's mounted. If you want to use that fender cut down you'll have to drill a new hole for the higher offset bolt. Not a huge deal.

CB and CL fender brackets are slightly different. The CL has spacers because of the differences between disk and drum brake setups. I have both. You can have either one for the ride.

Turnturtle, what do you mean by "You can have either one for the ride."? are you offering to sell me the front fender for my CL360?

It's way more likely you have it on backwards. Have you tried it in both directions? I'm guessing that since you cut it down there isn't an easy way to gauge which was 'front'

crazypj said:
It's way more likely you have it on backwards. Have you tried it in both directions? I'm guessing that since you cut it down there isn't an easy way to gauge which was 'front'

For the ride usually translates to "have it for cost of shipping it"

crazypj said:

His pic from when he got it shows 2 struts. 360 fenders never had 2 struts. You can also see the extra holes in the brace in that pic.

index.php

Pretty awesome so see before and "after" even tho it's not finished. Thank you everyone for your continued guidance. It's all very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    904.6 KB · Views: 215
Back
Top Bottom