My first build - 75 Honda CL360 Scrambler

It's hard to see in pics, the single cable clamp I have had a channel that is too narrow and the dual cable clamp I have had a diameter that is too small.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 228
If you are trying to match a different top half to that bottom half, your chances of success are almost zero.

Just buy a throttle assembly off your favorite on line auction site and make up a cable to match it.

djsmiles said:
I appreciate the response but now that I have it all wired up I would really like to find a throttle clamp that works with the grip i currently have installed if possible.

i've had to do and re-do a lot of stuff on my project. if this is your first one, you're gonna do that too at some point.

may as well get started

You would be better off just pulling the grip off tube or even buying new (overpriced) brown grips to fit on a complete assembly

this is very frustrating. at least these parts are cheap. I'll order a new setup and add some quick disconnects to the turn signal wires while i'm in there.
Thanks everyone. pretty soon i'll be able to start working on getting it started!

So I ordered a new kit including throttle tube and grips in case I had to take the old ones off but the clamp that came with the new kit fits my grip. This type of clamp is what I couldn't seem to buy individually

Attachments

• IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 228
Another day, another question. I removed the old exhaust gaskets, put the new ones in and now I have a big gap between the manifold and the rings that bolt to it. That doesn't look right.

Attachments

• IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 218
Make sure everything is well seated and then torque to spec. The exhaust gaskets are the crush style; they collapse upon themselves as you tighten the flanges in order to form a good seal.

They're tightened down but still have a big gap. Oh and the spark plug wire just came apart. I've looked for replacements with no luck. Any suggestions?

Yeah, those bolt on rings (can’t remember their technical term!) don’t seal off your headers in the manifold, they just hold the exhaust in tight against the copper washers which do form the seal. It shouldn’t be a problem, but stick your hand down there once it’s started and feel for air puffing out. Hopefully you won’t feel any!

7alive is right, they dont have to be flush to the head to be tight

looks good so far!

are you using stock coils? you cant just replace the spark plug wire, but NGK makes a "coupler" that can fix it

We are assuming you have all the parts installed. The semicircular clips install between the collar and flange to push the pipe against the gasket.

Attachments

• honda 360 exhaust parts.jpg
    honda 360 exhaust parts.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 471
jpmobius said:
We are assuming you have all the parts installed. The semicircular clips install between the collar and flange to push the pipe against the gasket.

And make sure you don't have them in backwards. The curved section points away from the head.

Space looks about right to me. They were probably too far in before you fitted new gaskets?

they were flush when i took them off. when i pulled out the old gaskets they were completely flat. I do have the parts in there correctly, i found a diagram someone here drew by hand that confirmed that.
i'm still undecided on how to finish off the exhaust, i think it will be too loud with just straight pipes so i might be looking for very small mufflers/silencers. any links or suggestions are appreciated.
as for the spark plug wire i ordered a new boot after watching a youtube video on how to fix it so i hope that works. with all the googling i've done i've never seen a boot with a screw coming out of it like this bike has (picture in previous post).
the seat that i made had three bolts that i planned on running through the battery tray that i made, but after messing around with that for a while i realize it's not very easy to line up the holes and then when i finally did get them through the seat sits on the bike crooked so I'm looking for other ways to attach the seat. has anyone used industrial strength velcro to attach their seat? since the leather is done the only other option I can think of is zip strips which would be inconvenient.

Attachments

• IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 198
I experimented w/ several different things, even made a couple of sets of home made baffles for inside the short pipes. I finally ended up w/ this. Loud but not too loud, sounds pretty good, and seemed to run pretty good. Stock CL pipes w/ the mufflers gone, wrapped, and EMGO Shorty mufflers.

1232-090518211235.jpeg

Your photo doesn't seem to work for me. Are the EMGO shorty mufflers the shortest ones you could find? They're 12"?

If you do get to see picture, even at that length of exhaust, it's too short to work properly

Back
Top Bottom