My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project *New Video*

NO! ha, I'm a dyed in the wool roadie. When I see a gravel road I make a turn. I'm not against them it's just that I don't need another expensive bike.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
NO! ha, I'm a dyed in the wool roadie. When I see a gravel road I make a turn. I'm not against them it's just that I don't need another expensive bike.
Cheers, 50gary
You seem to have a better resolve than me, I can't help myself I want to do everything! I'm in training for a 24hr time trial right now so full on road biking:)

johnu said:
I know I know it's been a long time since I posted anything. Been having too much fun on mountain bikes and my KTM 500 ;D Anyway I got a new twin spigot petcock and made an adapter to get it to fit my tank, also installed the new coil I bought.
Fired it up this morning and it started right away using the the chokes warmed it up then flipped the chokes off and it idles, give it throttle and it just cuts out... blocked pilots I shoud imagine. I left the bike sitting with gas in the carbs :mad:
Hey John, if the pilots were blocked it would not start or idle. Probably mains or maybe float height.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

If it cuts out immediately then it does sound like it’s kinda lean there. What size were the pilots again? I have 45’s in mine with vm36’s.
What about the cut away?

Finally I've got the bike running half decent :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I rode it further than ever before with no signs of it cutting out or running on one cylinder. The jetting is still off but at least it keeps going now. I'm going to mix up some more gas tomorrow and try to get a few miles on it as it is then see where things are it. At least it is rideable now. It still doesn't have much down low but that could partly be the tune of the engine and the pipes.
I did break the golden rule of changing two things at one :-\ I have new coils and the new dual outlet gas tap so not really sure what the breakthough is down to.
Incidently if you recall my last post where the bike wouldn't run without the choke on (it had the new coils and gas tap at that time) it was blocked pilots!
Here is a very short video my son took of me leaving the house. We are going to try to get something better tomorrow.
I am so happy right now, it has taken a long time to get to this point partly because I lost enthusiasm for a long period. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
https://youtu.be/NNO78cQYQxo

Progress. That bike still looks totally amazing. I need to go back to the early build thread to check out how you made the tank and seat.

BTW, was that first gear? Sounds too tall. Almost like starting off in second. Maybe take a tooth off the front sprocket and let the front wheel fly......

It also sounds rich or at least oily and stumbling a bit. Try to get the idle cleaner first and then work on transitions. Could be too much fuel in the bottom end after the last attempts and time sitting around. Fresh gas is always a good idea.

teazer said:
Progress. That bike still looks totally amazing. I need to go back to the early build thread to check out how you made the tank and seat.

BTW, was that first gear? Sounds too tall. Almost like starting off in second. Maybe take a tooth off the front sprocket and let the front wheel fly......

It also sounds rich or at least oily and stumbling a bit. Try to get the idle cleaner first and then work on transitions. Could be too much fuel in the bottom end after the last attempts and time sitting around. Fresh gas is always a good idea.
You are quite correct, first time I ever rode the bike I realised that I got the gearing wrong! I won't be changing the counter sprocket in a hurry as I made that up special to get the right offset for the chain run, it was a major project!! I will have to change the rear.
Also yes it is oily/rich on the bottom, I'm going to ride it a bit first as is then start tweaking ;D At least I have a starting point now that is much closer than it was :)

Gotcha. Weld on a few more teeth at the rear (so to speak).

Another quick spin today :) Think I'm going to go down on the pilots, it's still way rich on the bottom. You will probably be able to tell what I'm talking about when you see this video. I was trying not to rev it too hard being that it's more or less all new motor internals ::)
Things I've discovered now I can actually ride the bike: Suspension is way too stiff, handlebars are too far forward and I need to raise the seat up with a thicker pad. And the gearing of course as Teazer mentioned!
I am over the moon though now that I can actually ride it :) :) :) :)
https://youtu.be/h5LEiQw5wNE

Sounds really close - crisp exhaust note. Sounds like a slight rich stumble as you ride past.

How does it run?

BTW, what are the mufflers? I don't remember.

Ah.. now we're getting somewhere. Big jump ahead.
The stock spring rate on the 05/06 636 Ninja is 0.90kg, that's for the stock bike weight of 435# so that's likely your current springs.
I estimated your Titan weight at 350# and your weight at 170# Race Tech charts say recommended fork springs would be 0.80kg for "canyon" riding. Fork oil level 110mm. Rear shock spring again at stock bike weight is 9.7 for the 350 bike weight 9.4
Today I sent some RD400 forks to Race Tech for springs and emulators. Nice folks.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
Ah.. now we're getting somewhere. Big jump ahead.
The stock spring rate on the 05/06 636 Ninja is 0.90kg, that's for the stock bike weight of 435# so that's likely your current springs.
I estimated your Titan weight at 350# and your weight at 170# Race Tech charts say recommended fork springs would be 0.80kg for "canyon" riding. Fork oil level 110mm. Rear shock spring again at stock bike weight is 9.7 for the 350 bike weight 9.4
Today I sent some RD400 forks to Race Tech for springs and emulators. Nice folks.
Cheers, 50gary
Thanks for that Gary! I think the bike was around 320lb as I recall but yes way lighter than the 636! I actually only live about 30 mins from Race Tech so I will probably give them a call and maybe even take the bike down there to get their input too :)

Also I think I might get a set of the ProTaper evo flatrack bars which have a little more sweep than the KTM Fatbars that I have on there. They are wide but I can always cut them down a little.

teazer said:

Stock gearing on t500 is retarded, even bone stock you can hit 40 mph in first, but what’s the point of that?

I'm going out to El Mirage dry lake bed in a few weeks time with a selection of bikes to have fun on. I hope to get the Suzuki jetting right while I'm out there! I love this place, not just flat, there are lots of variety for dirt bike fun too.

39 tooth sprocket on, change out the pilot jets tomorrow and give it another try :)

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    760.1 KB · Views: 272
Back
Top Bottom