"Parts Chaser" GS450

beachcomber

TJ - Beachcomber
DTT SUPPORTER
Aha - just found where I should be posting details of my projects!

Semi-retired now, so plenty of time to indulge my hobby [ not so much cash though! ]

I'm building several BMW Kay based projects [ they're CHEAP here in the UK ].

A Streetfighter - now the Mk3 version and they're getting better all the time.
A Sixties style K100 Cafe Racer - yes I WAS there first time around - with all the correct period features, including alloy rimmed wire spoked wheels
And finally a modern Race Rep K1100 along the lines of the new S1000RR.

I guess the BMW Trike doesn't belong here!

So why the Tracker board? Well last Winter I bought a dead [ rectifier ] stock GS450 to use in standard form so I had something to ride while all the projects are being built.

Then I looked at it and thought - Flat Tracker ! So that became yet another project. Nearly completed the mock up now, just needs painting and upholstery /detailing and it will be on the road.

In fact I like the little bugger so much, I've decided to build a 60's style Cafe Racer version next. They're quite cheap here in the UK compared to Honda and Yam middleweights.
]

Re: Suzuki GS40 parts chaser

Here's a pic of the mocked up bike.

For now I'm only going to paint the Tank, panels, mudguard and seat. Upholster the seat in Black suede and that's it for a quickie makeover as I need it on the road asap.

Over the winter I'll pull it apart and detail it properly.

SONAVON051.jpg

beachcomber said:
Here's a pic of the mocked up bike.

For now I'm only going to paint the Tank, panels, mudguard and seat. Upholster the seat in Black suede and that's it for a quickie makeover as I need it on the road asap.

Over the winter I'll pull it apart and detail it properly.

SONAVON051.jpg

I like where you're going here. See if you could get a set of Triumph T120 bend bars, they're great flat track bars. Had a set on my old Bultaco. Maybe put on some K70s and you're cooking.

Hi KLX,

courtesy of E-Bay I just scored a set of brand new [ NOS ] TT100's - $65 the pair !!

They're in the "parts waiting" pile at the moment - waiting for a set of wire spoked wheels to come along at the right price. I'm hoping the wire wheels on the GS250 rolling chassis I just bought [ E-Bay] are in good condition as I can't really justify having them rebuilt with alloy rims at the moment.
Same with the bars really - the alloy bars were $35 - a set of T120 bars - $80
The trouble is, my quickie makeover projects have a habit of getting a full makeover!

That's why I've got 6 projects on the boil at the same time !!

well, they say what goes around comes around ;)

I sold this little bugger off at the end of 2011 to make way for far too many other projects. ::)

My pal [ who bought it ] contacted me today and said did I want it as he had no time and lost interest.

I sold it to him for reasonable money - he has GIVEN it to me FOC. !!!

That's what friends are for. ;D

Alright! Glad to hear you got her back. Now which way are you going with her? Tracker/cafe? Did your mate do any work to it or just use it as a daily rider and give it back?

Gary

Hey nice! When I get some time I'll find a 450 a guy in the UK made an awesome Tracker out of over on the GS Resources. He ended up with a GS500 motor in it too... was quite the good job...

Thanx for the encouragement guys.

Originally I was going to do this one [ 3 years ago ! ] as a Cafe Racer - but when I sat on it with the clip-ons / rear sets it - I looked comical.

Definite Gorilla on a pit bike job - bike just too small. However as a nice lightweight parts chaser with a bit of attitude, it's fine. That does mean I'll have two Trackers now [ KZ750 ], so I'll just get this one sorted with the minimum of expense. Mainly a bit of paint and detailing. Need to finalise the tank as well. The Yam tank looks pretty good, but still requires a bit of gentle therapy on the underside to make it fit.

My pal got the bike running nicely and finished of my nemesis - the wiring ! Other than cleaning the carbs and a new set of plugs, it didn't really need anything else.

SONAVON010_zpsb1e605eb.jpg

SONAVON047_zps5feaae23.jpg

Help guys, I'm struggling for colourway inspiration on this one.

It was totally unplanned [ like most pregnancies ;) ] and I'm even stalling with the choices for my KZ Tracker [ Basic Yellow or Tangerine ].

This is to be a low key -"finish it off" job. That said, if it isn't done properly then I won't do it.

Ideas ??

Here's the one from the GS Resources I was talking about, it ended up with re-bent headers and a 500 motor in there too (as seen in the last pic):

Attachments

• user24892_pic7748_1301058923.jpg
    user24892_pic7748_1301058923.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,120
  • user24892_pic7752_1301059421.jpg
    user24892_pic7752_1301059421.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,126
  • user24892_pic8181_1305975523.jpg
    user24892_pic8181_1305975523.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,135
Thanx for the pix Pete - very sharp bike.

JPS Black / Gold has been suggested - but I'm not a fan of that combo.

As you can see my frame is already Silver and I DO have 5 cans of Rattlecan Blue !

No worries mate, I do love the colours on that tracker, blue and silver go extremely well together!

I've never been a fan of gold in any situation really... except on some Katanas ;)

Very nice! Proves the little GSs are a good platform to start a travker build as well.

Back to colours - one of my possible choices for the KZ750 Tracker was a FO Yellow, with maybe White accents.

The inspiration from that came from the colourways I painted my "California" 356 Speedster - which was the original "Not so Mellow Yellow". I've pretty well decided on Tangerine for the KZ, which leaves my second choice free .. what do you guys think ? Believe it or not I STILL have some of the original Yellow paint.

BTW - the Speedster was one of the replicas I used to manufacture - NOT a real one ! However, note that it is displayed at the Annual Porsche Concours event. When I pulled up at the main gate I got the Royal treatment and ushered through to the display area. Didn't have the heart to tell them it was a rep !
img100.jpg

Nice Speedster! I wanted a Becks Spyder in the worst way!
As far as the Kawa Tracker goes, I'd do it in Lime Green and Black... like it was on a race team or somthing.

Kaw-flat-tracker-02-300x199.jpg

Hoosier Daddy said:
Nice Speedster! I wanted a Becks Spyder in the worst way!
As far as the Kawa Tracker goes, I'd do it in Lime Green and Black... like it was on a race team or somthing.

Kaw-flat-tracker-02-300x199.jpg

yes, I guess Green / Black IS the obvious choice - still juggling with that one !

I also designed and manufactured 550 Spyders .. based on the 550A with the multi-tubular frame. However, being a design engineer, I decided to improve on the Porsche chassis - which was a very 50's design and incorporated true spaceframe elements for maximum stiffness.

Sold around 40 in the UK before selling the project off to my German pal, who now makes them in Russia !!!

550055_zps0d7bf2f2.jpg

550113_zpsde8bcc5a.jpg

Checked out the stock when I had a further sort out in my garage prior to fitting the electrics - this weekend if it doesn't snow again !

Yep, there's a litre of the FO Yellow :eek: [ 356 Renault Service Yellow ] left and in good condition.

Also picked up an excellent "spot blaster" - courtesy of our Aldi store - £10, including 1kg of blasting media.

Think I might even replicate the colourways of the Speedster with stripes and all. 8)

Back
Top Bottom