Hooligan BMW R80/7

Do it, get the rearsets. I don't miss the original footpegs one bit. I made the linkages from scratch, but I would recommend doing a hack on the brake side. I have seen where the original lever was re-welded and used with a rearset peg. I still have not gone the cable route because it has been good enough for now with the original rod shortened with a mini heim welded on.

The biggest problem I have on the brake side is that it contacts the muffler if I slam on them, but that would come pretty close to locking up the rear wheel anyway.

Ha.. I was actually looking at my stock sets last night.. That was exactly the solution we came up with.. cut down the brake lever.. re-weld.. I think we may actually use the stock pegs and everything... Just re-build the bracket to move the pegs back from their stock positions.. In the end this is probably more work than spending less than 200 bucks on unis and linkage kit and calling it a day, but I kinda like the idea of using the stock bits.

If I go that route it will be here VERY soon.. so.. I'll keep you posted.

Lets see some close-ups of the linkages - I'm curious about both sides. I've got a 1975 R75/6 myself in stock form, and while it's likely going to always be that way, you never know when the bug might bite and I start peeling layers off it. They look so nice in cafe form.

So here's a decent pic that I had while building it. There are a few amazon stores that sell these mini heim joints. I didnt want to use full threaded rod, so I drilled out some steel rod, welded in the threaded end, and then backed up a nut to the weld, welded that in, and ground it smooth. All of that just to have a thicker rod than the threads with a clean transition instead of a messy weld.

Make sure to place nice big washers between the rearsets and the frame or it will bend out the mounting point. Loaded gun's bolts aren't long enough for full thread engagement with the washers, so pick up some bolts too.

The riding position that I picked with these, the seat, and the clip-ons just about exactly matches a factory speed triple. At 6'1" 210, I fit just about perfect.

Get used to pinching the tank with your legs though.

rearset.jpg

c6e4dea8-94b7-c204.jpg

Found this image on my phone - this picture was taken as we were on the phone with the local BMW dealership, trying to frantically find a clutch cable. We pulled out of the gas station and as we were sitting at the light, my clutch lever felt suddenly heavy. I looked down and all but two strands had snapped.

Most of us have pretty old bikes here, so make sure you check your cables.

We rode nearly clutchless for the 30+ miles to the dealership. There, a short, silent, heavily mustached man slapped one in there for next to nothing. Apparently, he is the considered the local guru on all things airhead.

Well, after selling the CB750, I'm fixing to put some more effort into the BMW, so I shall resurrect this ole thread.

The short list:
Custom TIG subframe
Modern(ish) suspension
Completely new seat, controls, and I might ditch the rearsets.
I'm probably also going to re-ring and hone the cylinders while I'm at it. 100 jugs? Not sure.

Basically I'm wanting to put some miles on er, and the clipons and rearsets aren't all that comfy and I think I can build something that will better fit he character of this engine.

Latest image, because pictures are good.

31eb34a3e6995b207b3fede3d77d0911.jpg

Small progress. Motocross bars on factory mounts - went back to the factory headlight mounts from the cheapo eBay junk and new grips. (These biltwells are my favorite street grip so far)

Clearance with the acewell is tight. May have to switch to the bar mount...

1fe5a7369ce5b9d9748b5a8bf3b9c637.jpg

Here is one of the reasons I'm toning down and de-cafe uh... ing the BMW... you know, aside from general rideability, comfort, etc.

1ad47ab05ae62ed62a65d815e49da936.jpg

It took quite a while and had to make a road trip to find an R :)

Put a few more miles on her with the new bars and after syncing the carbs again with my new fancy pants gauges from the CB project. Now, she fires up after the first turn over or so. It's wonderful. I'm getting just a bit of unevenness on partial throttle though. Could be older gas or just being a hair off on the sync. These are so easy to sync, that it's actually a pleasant task.

The clipons were fun, but really don't match the character of the engine and transmission manners. (Which this bike has in spades) With the new bars, I feel like I can pitch it wherever I want, I am oh so comfortable, and the miles just melt away. When the virago is done, I'm putting a better seat on this thing with better lighting. I'm thinking x-arc duals.

I'm also rethinking the suspension modifications. It just doesn't need it. Maybe just some progressive springs and heavier oil will be enough.

Some pics from earlier rides as I was going through the thread to update what pictures I had from years ago:

b2467962e3739de12b5c30381012828c.jpg

8ebec2da622ae828aa11bf15550c07a0.jpg

977d2a1364daba046a5a67aaa40437b1.jpg

The rearsets never felt right with the new bars and more proper riding position, so went testing the factory foot controls before the latest storm.
6645fe3f72d03eea7e44faf84a997ede.jpg

The bike has gone from 30min and you're aching to a few hours could easily go by.

On deck when the XV920R is done is a new subframe with a stepped passenger seat, a nice battery box, some general maintenance, and a new paint job.

Back
Top Bottom