Who rides with Headphones?

SONICJK

Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
Controversial topic probably, but I'm just curious.

I started wearing iphone headphones a couple of years ago and with the volume all the way up I still couldn't hear it at cruise speed.
So I got some TORK in helmet speakers. These were much better, but spendy. They also were tough to hear over a loud bike with anything but full volume.

Just recently I got some Etymotic MC5's and HOLY SHIT. This just changed the whole riding experience.
They are basically ear plugs with speakers built in. They function just as well as foam ear plugs, and I can hear music all the way down to the lowest click on my phone even cruising at 70. Wind noise is no longer an issue, and overall riding is much more enjoyable.

Anyway just wanted to share in case anyone else wanted some awesome headphones and see if anyone else is with me or if you're all anti-music while riding?

I'm not interested in music while riding, I'd rather hear the vehicles around me for likely obvious reasons. I guess if I had a bagger and was cruising the wide open interstates I could see putting in music, but I do mostly city riding and short jaunts on the freeway.

carnivorous chicken said:
I'm not interested in music while riding, I'd rather hear the vehicles around me for likely obvious reasons. I guess if I had a bagger and was cruising the wide open interstates I could see putting in music, but I do mostly city riding and short jaunts on the freeway.

I thought this too, but I can still hear the cars around me pretty well. I turn the music off when I'm in town.
I mostly ride back roads

I don't wear headphones, but 80% of the time I am either singing or whistling to myself.

earbuds and music will DESTROY what hearing you have left,on or off a motorcycle
we have known this for decades there is no way around it

xb33bsa said:
earbuds and music will DESTROY what hearing you have left,on or off a motorcycle
we have known this for decades there is no way around it

I suppose I will listen to music while I can then ;D

I do pop one headphone in when I ride for a decent distance. I don't like them in both ears for some reason and switch ears every other time because I'm OCD about it. Never too loud, just enough to hear it.

I'm fond of jamming out to the Black Keys, Ten Years After (anything with blues roots) while riding some twisties in the backcountry hills. Something about that just fits.

Now on long slow rides I listen to some James Taylor or some other shit that calms me down and gets me thinking about the world...

I couldn't even imagine wearing them while on some screaming sportbike or loud ass Harley.

I did yesterday. I went on a 239km trip that saw me see both sides of my island and very little traffic alone one lane bridge, paved logging roads.

Most of the time my thumper exhaust note is music to my ears. I do however, always ride with earplugs if there are no earbuds.

So sonic you say these etymotics are good plugs?i m currently looking for a good set of plugs?
100 dollars is quite a handful...

Ryan Stecken said:
So sonic you say these etymotics are good plugs?i m currently looking for a good set of plugs?
100 dollars is quite a handful...

Ryan,
Yeah they are great. Best I have used so far. Not a lot of bass is my only complaint, but I don't think it's possible to get much bass from an in ear setup like these.
They are $59 USD shipped here in the states from Amazon, how is their international shipping?
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolating-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ

Sonic, I ride with this setup between my wife and I. When it's just me, my android phone via bluetooth provides the music. Not enough bass but it's pretty good.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/uclear-hbc200-force-bluetooth-communicator-dual-pack

canyoncarver said:
Sonic, I ride with this setup between my wife and I. When it's just me, my android phone via bluetooth provides the music. Not enough bass but it's pretty good.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/uclear-hbc200-force-bluetooth-communicator-dual-pack

Yikes! You paid how much to listen to your wife?!

Kidding man. I found a Bluetooth setup from China for about $25 shipped and it works pretty good. I wear earplugs on the bike, and with the volume all the way up on the Bluetooth I can hear everything (music, GPS, phone calls).

I used to ride the Hayabusa with my iPod and earbuds all the time. No real volume to it, just enough to be background noise. I don't want to drown out the bike or traffic.
I haven't ridden with them on either of the vintage bikes yet though. The 2stroker is just too much fun to listen to, and I haven't built up enough trust just yet in the CB750. Still listening for strange noises on her.

Redbird said:
I used to ride the Hayabusa with my iPod and earbuds all the time. No real volume to it, just enough to be background noise. I don't want to drown out the bike or traffic.
I haven't ridden with them on either of the vintage bikes yet though. The 2stroker is just too much fun to listen to, and I haven't built up enough trust just yet in the CB750. Still listening for strange noises on her.

I think this is the worst part about ear plugs/headphones.
After riding for a while in them, when I ride without the whole time I'm thinking "is THAT noise normal?!"

A few years ago, my brother lived one block over and one block down. I used to store the 'busa at his house when I first got it.
I would stop on my way home in the car, pick up the bike, and ride it the block to the house. I did it one time when I forgot my helmet.
And the experience was very similar. I kept thinkin to myself "Holy Shit, this thing sounds like it's about to come apart!" :p

I ride with earbuds pretty much everyday on my ride to work in the city. I'm stuck in traffic a lot so it's nice to have. Just loud enough so I can hear the music but still hear most of everything around me. Maybe not the safest thing, but if I really wanted to be safe I wouldn't drive a motorcycle at all.

crackerman said:
I ride with earbuds pretty much everyday on my ride to work in the city. I'm stuck in traffic a lot so it's nice to have. Just loud enough so I can hear the music but still hear most of everything around me. Maybe not the safest thing, but if I really wanted to be safe I wouldn't drive a motorcycle at all.

yeah there is truth in that statement

Back
Top Bottom