205.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Crop me.jpg
    Crop me.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Close front.jpg
    Close front.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 298
Re: 1970 Greeves Griffon

I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing a short start-up and revving video. I'm guessing it sounds cool. Dump some Blendzall in the gas and lets smell some Castor beans!

Any plans for AHRMA, or some regional vintage MX'ing?

grandpaul said:
I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing a short start-up and revving video. I'm guessing it sounds cool. Dump some Blendzall in the gas and lets smell some Castor beans!

Any plans for AHRMA, or some regional vintage MX'ing?

I will try to do a short vid this week! Yes I do plan on racing it in vintage MX . It's going to take some getting use to as I am so use to riding modern MX bikes!

Can you say "arm pump"?

You'll need a kidney belt...

This bike is absolutely jaw dropping. Read the whole thread. Great work. Too bad these things are so hard to find in the dirty South!

The finished product looks amazing! I remember you said you didn't like restorations but I hope this encourages you to do more. You're clearly very good at it (the Duplicolor blue isn't too far off from Moorland even).

That side crop would be an awesome wallpaper - any larger versions available? I'd love to see some photos of it in the dirt next. ;D

BarnBurner said:
The finished product looks amazing! I remember you said you didn't like restorations but I hope this encourages you to do more. You're clearly very good at it (the Duplicolor blue isn't too far off from Moorland even).

That side crop would be an awesome wallpaper - any larger versions available? I'd love to see some photos of it in the dirt next. ;D

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Barnburner, after completing this resto I am going to get back in more restoration work. I actually like doing these competition bikes, I get more enjoyment out of them than road bikes and they are far simpler to work on.

If you want to see the full photo shoot you can go to my photographer friend Manny Pedroso's website to see more pics of my bike, here is a link that takes you straight to it https://mannysphotography.smugmug.com/Johns-work/

Ok guys had the machine running and have a bit of a problem. First time I started it up it ran great aside from being a little lean on the pilot jet (I ended up with the airscrew only 3/4 turn out). Revved it up for a while then rode it up and down the street three or four times bloody great ;D However about a week later I fired it up for my son to have a quick spin and we had a problem. Started ok but when you rev it up it takes ages for the revs to die down (see video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgp33o83tis&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share
Been on the Greeves website it the consensus is an air leak which I agree it sounds like. I checked the carb inlet manifold and totally sealed that up which made no difference. Cleaned the carb out completely just in case and checked the throttle cable, still no good :( Of course if the crankshaft seals were bad that could be the issue but I installed brand news ones when I rebuilt the engine so can't see that that's the issue. Only thing is I was told that the Amal Mk1 concentric carb body wears out and allows air past the slide but it doesn't look very worn (I installed a new slide when I rebuilt the carb). Anyone got any ideas. It's frustrating because it ran great the first time I started it :mad:

Get it running, and spray some propane around suspect areas, it'll leak in with the air and you'll here the rpms increase.

farmer92 said:
Get it running, and spray some propane around suspect areas, it'll leak in with the air and you'll here the rpms increase.
Propane sounds a bit dodgy, I was told you could do that with wd40 which I did around the manifold and no leaks. Thanks for the suggestion!

ooh I just noticed I have botm winner above my avatar ;) Love it! Wish I could build bikes for a living like some of those numbnuts on the tv ;D

johnu said:
Propane sounds a bit dodgy, I was told you could do that with wd40 which I did around the manifold and no leaks. Thanks for the suggestion!
did you get it fixed? Just had the same thing happen with my Bultaco. Anal amals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasstar said:
did you get it fixed? Just had the same thing happen with my Bultaco. Anal amals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not fixed! I think the carb body is worn out. Last time I started the bike it started ok but as soon as I revved it a bit it when full bore and I couldn't shut it off, I had to pull the plug cap off. I coudl put a Mk2 amal on it or a 32mm Mikuni but the bike is up for sale right now as my plans have changed so I won't be racing it.

Try a larger pilot jet. That slow to drop revs effect is usually because it's lean, but could just be too lean on the jet.

teazer said:
Try a larger pilot jet. That slow to drop revs effect is usually because it's lean, but could just be too lean on the jet.

I tried that Richard but it made no difference. I was told that those Mk1 amals have been know to have a smaller hole in the actual casting than the pilot jet itself. I can't really believe that though as the bike had obviously been running on this carb for the last 30 odd years.

Back
Top Bottom