1985 Honda Rebel BOBBER project

heres some pics of the forks i just finished rebuilding and refinishing also the exhauxt im chopping :)

rebelforks017.jpg

rebelforks001.jpg

rebelforks019.jpg
before and after^^^^^

Those are some cool scoots Joe.

That exhaust looks so much better and so does the forks. Keep on keeping on bro. Looking good!

troybilt said:
Those are some cool scoots Joe.

That exhaust looks so much better and so does the forks. Keep on keeping on bro. Looking good!

Thanks! Troy your bike is sooooo nice!!!!! i love the old school look of it, very well done!

well i think im going to call off of work for the next couple of days and get some work cranked out on this thing as well as take care of some issues in my life at the moment. Working on stuff has always helped keep my mind at ease during rough spots in my life and that is why my garage is never empty......... :) I will try to get some better pics posted up within the next couple of days. not sure if im going to drop the frame at the powder coaters or do an epoxy gloss black paint job on it yet..........

Hmmm-I wonder how hard it would be to run the exhaust right above the lower cases? All of those pics (including the Heiwa) look like they just removed the stock silencers. If you're looking for just a runner, though, I say strip it down and do the trick stuff as you can afford it. I think most people's projects, no matter the category, start off looking that way-stripped down stock bike. Then you get fancy as time/money permits ;)

well today has been productive so far, got the engine painted but i still have to get the side cases looking like brushed aluminum. got both exhausts cut down, still need to paint and fiberglass wrap them and dropped off the frame at the powder coaters :)

DSC02072.jpg
soon to be looking brand new.

cutdownexh.jpg
need paint to cover up the rust and header wrap to cover up the paint :p

newtank.jpg
oooooooohh aahhhhhhh.......

paintingengine.jpg
all clean!

very nice! what color you going on the frame? have you thought about putting some turn downs or outs on the pipes, then wrap them leavingthe chrome tip at the end?

JRK5892 said:
very nice! what color you going on the frame? have you thought about putting some turn downs or outs on the pipes, then wrap them leavingthe chrome tip at the end?

just going gloss black on the frame, wanted to keep most of the bike black. some turndowns would be nice, would give it a nice completed look. depending how loud it is i might have to throw some shorty muffs on it..... we will see.

BLACK!? after all the work you are putting into this sucker you are going to put the frame back to a stock color? man there are like 1000 diff blacks that we have in the shop, maybe look at a wrinkle or velvet or vein or hammer finish, maybe flake in there... but do not jsut do a stock gloss black... I always like to do my frames in diff colors it shows i took the time to tear the bike down and do it right!

JRK5892 said:
BLACK!? after all the work you are putting into this sucker you are going to put the frame back to a stock color? man there are like 1000 diff blacks that we have in the shop, maybe look at a wrinkle or velvet or vein or hammer finish, maybe flake in there... but do not jsut do a stock gloss black... I always like to do my frames in diff colors it shows i took the time to tear the bike down and do it right!

you know you have a point!!!!! i have until thur. or fri. to make up my mind...... im just not sure what i want................ hammer would be pretty cool. cost is also an issue, the guy is going to blast and coat the frame and swingarm for $150. you have any pics of the vein or hammer????

i do not have access to our photos right now, but a quick google search... here they are
vein... they are all one shot powders, so do not worry about it, the only diff is our costs are just a touch higher... some wrinkles are really cool, i am doing my bobber frame in black velvet, it is flat black but looks like velvet, and has a weird texture to it

silver_vein.gif

hammer
1941242.jpg

that hammered looks pretty sweet!! i will have to look at some colors when i go to the shop.

well i finished the motor completely, brushed cases and all. turned out really NICE just how i expected.

rebelmotor009.jpg

looks good! that filler cap just jumps out at me thought... hit that with some black, or bed liner is realy flexable and will do well on plastic and look cool

called off of work again today ;D. today i will be working on the front wheel getting it prepped and painted, im almost done and will post pics in a few. im going with black spokes and hub and leaving the rim chrome.

heres the pics:

rebelwheel3.jpg
before

rebelwheel6.jpg
during

rebelwheel7.jpg
after :)

Man does that tape job bring back memories! Looks like you got that hub nice and clean.
Looks really good Bro!

troybilt said:
Man does that tape job bring back memories! Looks like you got that hub nice and clean.
Looks really good Bro!

thank you i appreciate the kind words. :) i hit everything pretty good with red scotch brite and then i wipe it all down with denatured alcohol, seems to do the trick.

Great progress man! You're tackling the big jobs nice and smooth. Like what Troy said, that brings back a lot of memories to when I was at that stage.

I'm excited to see how this thing comes together! Keep us updated :).

havent been doing much lately.... waiting on the weekend when i have a little free time to put in some work!!!

Hey JRK5892, im considering doing a raw steel frame with clear powder instead of the black, do you have any examples of this finish??????

it depends what color you are talking about, if it is raw frame and then just a clear, if the coater uses the right clear it will just look like raw metal, if not it will look like dulled down raw metal. it is just going to be tough to get a strong bond with the powder being shot over a non blasted surface, and leaves the opertunity for chipping or bad orange peel, just make sure your coater knows what they are doing ... if you where planning on having him blast it i would just hit it with bead blasted silver powder, there is also 100 diff raw metal finishes out there, from copper to brass to steel to stainless... all of them have a finish just like the real metal depending on the powder supplier your coater uses

there's a kat here in town that's got a pretty weird bobber'd 50's NSU (!)
not much to it but this odd two stroke twin engine and two 21" wheels, but all the steel has been hot blued and oils. It makes an interesting statement for sure.

Back
Top Bottom