anyone aware of any 80cc enduro cafe projects

Wyse-ass

Hey all,

My wife has recently become interested in getting her bike license. I sold my last street bike pre-kids (over 10 years ago) had an 80cc scooter a few years back and I too want to play again. As such, I've been scouring the classifieds for a cheap low cc bike she can start out on. Lot's of things running through my mind on what direction to take this.

Here's the thing, I really don't care about speed as this bike will never be used on the highway. This will be a city bike only and there is nothing over 60 km/h in our little city. Heck, it's rare to actually break 50 km/h so the emphasis here is really more on fun putting around more than anything else. Second consideration is motorcycle insurance is absolutely insane out here (BC, Canada). Anything under 110cc is dirt cheap (scooter rate), under 400cc is reasonable (just checked and basic $1,000,000 coverage is $401/yr after my 43% safe driver/years licensed discount), under 750cc is starting to get painful, under 1000cc you "really" want to ride, over 1000cc and you are willing to give up a testicle before you give up your bike. Again, this will be a city toy so the under 100cc bracket looks pretty darn good! Problem, not much to choose from in the under 110cc market here in Canada.

I recently saw a little Yamaha GT80 1973 in the classifieds (no papers so this particular bike is certainly not an option). The 1973 GT80 was my first bike when I was 11 (it was a garage sale find and mom firmly said "NO". So I lied to my dad and he bought it for me ;D. I got in some serious trouble over that but I did get my bike...) anyhow, that recent classified ad sort of pulled at the heart strings.

I've seen a few CB100 projects on here and other sites but have not run across any 80cc enduro projects. Has anybody ever done one? can anybody point me in the direction of a small cc enduro café project (I did run across a GT80 bobber with a suicide shifter, haha). I totally get that it would not be a 1st choice for 99.9999% of the population and costs are going to far outweigh the functionality of the bike.

To make matters worse. Last night I dreamt of my old little yellow GT80 and before I knew it, that bike was white with pink accents and my daughter was riding it to high school??? While I'm sure the project could be done, street tires (possibly big scooter tires?), lighting (6v if I remember correctly), etc. are all going to pose hurdles. Aside from it being an obscenely small bike, are there any issues more experienced builder/tinkerer's are aware of with a project of this nature?

Pics of "my old first bike" attached (hopefully they come through). Take a good look at the rear shocks, bet you can't guess where they came from...

Attachments

• Me and my bike 2.jpg
    Me and my bike 2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Me and my bike.jpg
    Me and my bike.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 151
Back
Top Bottom