76 CB360 "Cafe Interruptus"

Got her done in time for the August bike night and all is good except it took me so long to finish that I need a new battery and 1/2 of the taillight LEDs are no longer working. New battery is already in and replacement taillight arrived yesterday. There seems to be a bit of oil leaking from one or both of the oil seals under drive sprocket cover (I will always try to use Honda OEM seals from now on if they are available and these two are!)

Here are a few "glamour shots" of the finished bike.

040_zpsxrkhkjot.jpg

With the crusty old bell helmet I painted to match (padding and fabric inside of helmet was literally falling apart in my hands)

055_zpslmdilibv.jpg

052_zpsir2h6dbw.jpg

045_zpsfkktss8c.jpg

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 302
Green199 said:
Very cool. Nice work!
Erskine said:
Holey moley. I think 'Cafe Tantric' is more apt.
Well worth waiting for.
Thanks to both of you. I can't believe it took me almost four years to finish, but it was a fun, learning experience to be sure and I'm pretty proud of the how she turned out.

Wow! That's very impressive work.

Congratulations on the final product and seeing the project through to the end.

trek97 said:
Shes an awsome looking machine. What have you done to set up carbs?

Thank you! You and I have corresponded before about CB360 carbs way back when. It definitely ran like garbage initially with the well-known mid-range richness. I had just rebuilt the carbs on my 1965 CB160 with a couple of Keyster kits and had a couple of 160 needles laying around. I'm sure there are lots of subtle differences between 160 and 360 needles, but gosh darn they looked damn close to me. The 160 needles are adjustable (unlike the 360) so I put the clips on such that the needles would be about 1mm deeper into the carb (I'm pretty sure I saw crazypj mention this on this or another forum.) Then I took a ball-point pen spring, cut it in half and put them between the needle clip and the screw-on cap that holds the needles in place. This keeps the needles from being able to float upward. And that did the trick. The bike runs great! There is no off-idle stumble or mid-range bogging. I'm sure there is more that could and should be done, but that is how she is set up at the moment.

A beautiful blend of art and machine you have there, kosmoto :) I can honestly say your build makes me feel the need for a cafe in my future! Love the name, too. Way to get it done; maybe it should be Cafe Perfecta now? ;)

kosmoto said:
Thank you! You and I have corresponded before about CB360 carbs way back when. It definitely ran like garbage initially with the well-known mid-range richness. I had just rebuilt the carbs on my 1965 CB160 with a couple of Keyster kits and had a couple of 160 needles laying around. I'm sure there are lots of subtle differences between 160 and 360 needles, but gosh darn they looked damn close to me. The 160 needles are adjustable (unlike the 360) so I put the clips on such that the needles would be about 1mm deeper into the carb (I'm pretty sure I saw crazypj mention this on this or another forum.) Then I took a ball-point pen spring, cut it in half and put them between the needle clip and the screw-on cap that holds the needles in place. This keeps the needles from being able to float upward. And that did the trick. The bike runs great! There is no off-idle stumble or mid-range bogging. I'm sure there is more that could and should be done, but that is how she is set up at the moment.

thats awesome!

Exceptional work. I can only imagine all the hours and hours of work involved. Not BOTM worthy, sorry. More like "BIKE OF THE YEAR!" in my humble opinion. ;D

Wangofree said:
Exceptional work. I can only imagine all the hours and hours of work involved. Not BOTM worthy, sorry. More like "BIKE OF THE YEAR!" in my humble opinion. ;D
Thank you very much for your nice comments about the bike. Yes, many hundreds of hours, but I really enjoyed it and can't wait to start on my next project.

kosmoto said:
Both pistons were completely frozen and the cylinder head was full of what appeared and acted like concrete. You could not even see the left cylinder's valves.

That is a prime cylinder for a 378cc bore ;)
kosmoto said:

That is really handy to know, I was pretty sure something else would fit and work
Time to find some CB160 needle for 'testing' 8)

crazypj said:
That is a prime cylinder for a 378cc bore ;) That is really handy to know, I was pretty sure something else would fit and work Time to find some CB160 needle for 'testing' 8)
Is that with the GS850 pistons? Shoulda done that for sure. Please let me know any results you have from investigating CB160 needles. As I said I did not even measure them (except for length extending downward) and just eyeballed the diameter and taper. But they sure did make a dramatic improvement.

Back
Top Bottom