1977 Suzuki GS750

EdgeGrip

First, this is not nearly as nice as some of the stuff I have seen on this sight. There is some incredible craftsmanship here. This is the first bike I've "built" or "customized". Its going to see some serious DD duty, so this isn't a show bike or anything. Im learning all of this as I go. Im used to race bikes newer than 2003 with fuel injection and computers and wicked suspension setups and all that...carbs, steel frames, soft suspenders, and spokes are all a little foreign to me. But here it is:

When I got it:
IMG00669-20120213-2004.jpg

Currently:
P1010646_zps1de15c05.jpg

P1010649_zps62dc09b9.jpg

New: carb to head boots / o-rings, sprockets, chain, engine hardware kit, tires, battery, dirt bike handlebars, grips, brake pads, valve shims, exhaust gaskets, engine gaskets, air filter, oil, oil filter, clutch springs, clutch cable, tail light (to be mounted)

Rebuilt: carbs, front and rear brake systems, gauge cluster, wiring harness, air filter box

Misc: GSXR front master cylinder, stainless braided brake lines, Dyna S iginition, custom bits

Painted: Exhaust, valve cover end caps, headlight bezel, rear fender (from some other Zuk)

Frame is cut down and shaved, finished seat pan shape today (made from seat pan that came on the bike), got the rear fender mounted yesterday. Still needs work but its in progress. Hopefully done by Spring. Needs ignition relay mod too.

Quick note on the seat pan, I wanted to retain most of it so that my fiance can ride with me, so this won't be a solo rig...otherwise I wouldnt need that crown over the rear fender. My only worry is how I will cover it to look the best. My plan is to build up the front foam enough so that it would be flush with the rear (no angle to the seat foam), and I have already told my girl that her seat wont be as comfortable as mine...ha.

Will post up more as I go.

Started a mock up of the rear seat. I used the original seat cover (Post #1) from when I got it (since it was in great shape and there was plenty of material). I just pulled it kind of tight and used 2" masking tape to hold the general shape for viewing and ideas.

P1010652_zps5f78c118.jpg

P1010654_zps09d7f0fe.jpg

P1010657_zps34f3f044.jpg

I tried to get the pics on a more solid back ground but the lights are dim on that side of the garage. So I moved it. I think the seat looks pretty good and will look much better when its properly attached.

P1010660_zpse54ea439.jpg

P1010661_zps98d7a19e.jpg

P1010666_zps9520def1.jpg

And the tail light. Give me some input about mounting it (angle, distance from the seat, etc). Where it is in the pic is kind of what Im thinking but I dunno. I will be removing the license plate part of the bracket and coming up with something else for that.

P1010674_zpscd2a60a1.jpg

P1010671_zps6ffea174.jpg

Need rivets, door edging, glue and some flat steel stock to reinforce the seat pan.

Cool project man!

As far as the light goes, get the bike off the center stand and sit in a car behind the bike. The best angle for the brake light is the one that's seen easiest from behind......

Yeah thats a good idea. Im debating not using that light either though...might be a bit too much. I was thinking about getting an LED strip wit integrated blinkers and forming it around the lip of the rear fender to keep it cleaner...

Project is on hold for a few days anyway. Have to go out of town for a week and my oxy acetylene bottles are out getting filled so no welding right now. I have to weld up seat reinforcements before I can cover it.

Back
Top Bottom