CL350 Tracker / Brat build - First timer

danielhfranks

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce my new project. This is my first bike project with regards to something with a motor in it. Figured it would be a good spot to document everything.

Anyways, picked up a 1969 CL350 off of Craigslist from a guy down in San Diego. Im in Southern Orange County, so loaded the bike into the van and brought it home. I've had limited time to work on it thus far, but managed to take care of all the registration issues first so that I didn't sink money into something I couldn't ride.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

So far whats been done:

Tank drained and polished
Carbs have been taken off, still need to clean and rebuild
Old petcock taken off
Parts ordered

Have the following to go on thus far:
New cables, rear shocks, bars, grips, controls, brakes, lines, wires, spark plugs

Back story: For those who want to read about this, the reason for a small vintage Honda was simply because I spent a month in Vietnam late last year riding the country on a Honda Winn, a gutless little ride. I had the time of my life and saw countless cool things, ate amazing food and it got me thinking immediately about a bike for when I got home. Fast forward 9 or so months and with some coaxing from my brother who is building a XS650, here I am.

The Honda Winn
photo18.jpg

My goal is to make it a very reliable commuter ( ie. ride to work daily). Have a feeling I'll need to address an electronic ignition for this along with some other things. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

<---- one vote to keep it as is, that thing is killer. Those CL's are a hoot to ride, if you want to "thin" it down a little, find some very small aftermarket turn signals. Works wonders just getting those big goofy stockers off of there.

Haha so far everyone has been voting to keep it stock, which of course was my first thought as well. But than you start prowling around and seeing other builds and get inspired

Keeping it all stock. Back from Central America and got a box of parts to throw on it.

Whats going on, all new:

Plugs
Plug wires
Brake shoes front and rear
Chain
All cables
Tires
Fuel Lines
Fuel Filters
Gas Gap
Petcock
Tank cleaning and lining
Carb rebuild kits

Anything else I shouldn't be forgetting?

Plan is to find another CL350 or 450 and build that as a tracker which is not in as good of shape.

Back
Top Bottom