Another CB350F-First Build-Noob-In my garage Thread

jason405

Hey guys,

been reading a ton on this forum in preparation to start my first bike build. I have purchased a 73 CB350F from a friend who bought it with the hopes of building a tracker style bike, but never finished it. I am brand new to this whole thing. I have space in my garage and most of the basic tools I think I will need.

Let me preface this thread with this fact: This will be a fairly slow build. I'm not sure how slow, but my wife and I are about to have our first baby, so only time will tell how fast I can get things done. I'm not holding my breath. ;D

So first, inspiration.
I have looked at a ton of pictures and ready through many build threads and have landed on a few photos that are very close to what I would like to end up with. This is closest one I have come up with, but I would like to do flat tracker style bars vs clip ons.

11087520623_58c58e2a6b_b.jpg

So here is the bike I have. The PO (before my buddy) painted the whole thing with cheap black rattle can with obviously no idea what he was doing and no prep. It is flaking off everywhere and looks terrible. That ok, because everything is getting torn down, stripped and repainted anyway. But for example, its a paint because he did the same paint job to the motor so there is black paint in the fins and and in many other hard to clean out places. Oh joy.

11087297305_c744911c3b_b.jpg

11087402294_3fd46ca5f5_b.jpg

11087300085_7eba6cc176_b.jpg

So here are some general thoughts/plans for each area. This is by no means a complete list, but I am wanting to get a basic outline of all the work that needs to be done and then start attacking each area individually. I'm already overwhelmed. :eek:

The tank is in good shape. Only one small dent to fill before new paint. The inside of the tank however is another story. I am probably going to end up trying several methods to get it cleaned out. It looks like it might have had tank sealer put in it at some point as well.

The forks lowers need to be stripped and re painted properly. Need new seals and to clean up the fork uppers and maybe paint them (the rusted area around the TT) black as well?

The wheels are in decent shape just again, the terrible paint job. The thought here is to unlace them, strip/blast rims and hubs, paint them, and relace with new spokes or try to clean up the old ones.

The frame is in pretty good shape. Planning on de-tabbing, putting a cafe hoop on the rear, having it blasted, and painting with VHT Roll Bar Epoxy paint. I will fab the flat seat pan myself from plywood or sheet metal and have it upholstered.

The motor is completely torn down. I know it will be the most challenging aspect of the build. I am wanting to repaint it and I am struggling to figure out the order of how to reassemble it. Strip and paint first? Strip, reassemble, then mask and paint? I am just worried about painting it first in case I need to tear it back down if we have problems during reassembly. I would like to know it runs fine before painting, ideally. I am planning on using aircraft stripper to get all the old black paint off, but how do it scrape it out of all of the fins? Wire brush? Thinking of going Pamco ignition and maybe starter-less?

Thinking about 5-3/4 bottom mount headlight, minimalist turn signals/brake light, probly just small speedo, and most of the switches (ignition, start, kill) coming out of the electrical box up under the seat pan.

Like I said not a complete list but its a start. I think I will start with the frame/forks/wheels/tank/seat (not necessarily in that order) then move on to the engine. I forgot to mention, I am a big DIY'er and this is going to have to be budget build. I am not planning on many long rides. It will just be more of a cruise around town bike for me. I just want to say thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out along the way, and thanks to this forum for already storing a wealth of knowledge I hope to use throughout the build.

Back soon,
Jason

Yet another bike that was almost in running condition that will probably never see the road again. <sigh>

Seen it a thousand times.
You didn't really have a good reason to pull the engine apart, and that is way over the head of all but an accomplished bike mechanic.

Not saying it's impossible. It's just likely that you will lose momentum and interest in the project, then it will be parts in boxes for years until you sell it or give it away to the next sucker, who will also be over his head.

I hate to see these bikes go to waste like this.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Yet another bike that was almost in running condition that will probably never see the road again. <sigh>

Welcome to the TON ! ADC has a good point should of got it running first to see what you have to work with , it makes things easier ! Not saying it can't be done just say that alot of guys here have ALOT of Experience building bikes and know what it takes ! Good luck man :)

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Seen it a thousand times.
You didn't really have a good reason to pull the engine apart, and that is way over the head of all but an accomplished bike mechanic.

Not saying it's impossible. It's just likely that you will lose momentum and interest in the project, then it will be parts in boxes for years until you sell it or give it away to the next sucker, who will also be over his head.

I hate to see these bikes go to waste like this.

Without those people, we won't have projects 20 years from now! We all had to start somewhere Jason, but Alphadog is correct. Going into the motor can be daunting. By the looks of it, you have much more you need to focus on. I spent 2 hours yesterday chasing around one ground wire. Mostly because I'm a moron. These bikes take a lot of massaging. Start with the small stuff. And come here when you need help.

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies.

First of all, I get it. I totally would have preferred to see it run before buying, but it was already torn down. I think my saving grace will be the guy who tore it down is going to help me build it back.

I guess I am just a little confused at what order you guys are recommending I should go in? Start with building the motor back up then move to the frame/rest of the bike? Or, start with the frame/rest of the bike to get it ready for the motor, then the motor?

I am not really scared of a challenge and am ready to get going on it, but I would love to be confident with a general direction to start with.

Thanks!
Jason

There are lots of different opinions on the best way to proceed. The professional way to build a bike is to completely mock it up, fully assembled as the bike will be when finished, then tear it apart, sandblast, paint, powdercoat, polish. Then put it all back together.

Home builders seldom proceed that way, and pro builders often don't either. A typical first time builder will take everything apart, chop things off the frame, without knowing what the final project is going to look like, then powdercoat or paint the frame. By the time it's finished, there will have been half a dozen things that had to be welded on, and there are other damages that have happened to the finishes, so then the frame needs to be repainted or repowdercoated. :-\ Seen it a thousand times. I've had experienced builders bring me parts to paint and powdercoat, then 3-4 pieces have to be done again when they learn that a mounting tab has to be welded on or some other modification needs to be done.

What engine is that sitting on the bench? Is that the engine? Doesn't look torn down to me.

It's not necessary to tear an engine down to repaint or refinish it unless you are powdercoating. Powdercoating requires complete teardown and sandblasting of engine parts. Then they have to be coated and cured before the engine is assembled. If you are just painting an engine, you can spray it with aircraft stripper, then powerwash it, and get out the rattlecans. Engine covers that are getting polished should be bead blasted, then they can be polished.

These engines are very durable, and often don't require a rebuild unless the cylinders are all rusty. Tearing them down just makes it a bigger project, increases the cost, and gives you many more ways of fucking it up. If you can leave an engine intact, you are better off.

If you are not going to make any changes to the frame, then go ahead and get it sandblasted, and repaint it. Sandblasting is not expensive, and it really does a great job of getting a frame ready to paint. Protect your paint with pipe insulation and blue masking tape in strategic places so that you don't skin it up getting the engine in.

Brake fluid is motorcycle kryptonite. You do not want so much as a drop of it getting on your paint anywhere. Absolutely don't install the gas tank until the very last thing. It's too easy to damage the tank if you keep it on the bike while you are working on it.

Get the bike back together, and get it running. Then, ride the motherfucker. You will spend time with the bike and start to get ideas for how you want to change it. Make changes that you can do in a day or a few days. Most important reason for having the bike is to RIDE IT. Yes, it is nice to have an art project, but it's even nicer to have a rideable motorcycle. Baby steps. You don't have to learn to swim by jumping into water way over your head. There will be plenty that you have to learn, just to get the bike running. Then when you start making changes, you will learn more.

If you take it on as a huge project right from the get-go, life will get in the way, and you will never finish it and you will never ride it. Put the damned thing together and fuckin' RIDE IT!

Hey ASC,

I appreciate you take the time to write that out. That really makes a lot sense. I think having a running rideable bike would really give me confedence and make me want to mod it that much more. So I think the new goal is get it running as is.

That is the engine back on the bench. It's torn down but it's loosely bolted together just to keep it all together. The pistons are out so it all needs to go back together so we can try to get her running.

I think I'll just make a list of what I need to get it running like gasket kit, engine seal kit, etc and get that stuff orders up.

Is there some "not so obvious stuff" to get when rebuilding an engine from the ground up?

Thanks,
Jason

jason405 said:
Hey ASC,

I appreciate you take the time to write that out. That really makes a lot sense. I think having a running rideable bike would really give me confedence and make me want to mod it that much more. So I think the new goal is get it running as is.

That is the engine back on the bench. It's torn down but it's loosely bolted together just to keep it all together. The pistons are out so it all needs to go back together so we can try to get her running.

I think I'll just make a list of what I need to get it running like gasket kit, engine seal kit, etc and get that stuff orders up.

Is there some "not so obvious stuff" to get when rebuilding an engine from the ground up?

Thanks,
Jason

Torque specs and a torque wrench.

jason405 said:
Hey TheChild, got the shop manual and a torque wrench!

Thanks!

That was going to be my suggestion. Is it a FACTORY service manual? If not, I found it available for free download.
Good luck to you. Take you time and do it right. Building a bike is an excellent way to relax WHEN YOU HAVE TIME!
Take care of Momma and the new Baby when it gets here. The bike can take MANY hours / days / weeks / months. but it will wait patiently for you to return.... it's not so with the first years of a child. ;)

Geesh Alpha a little harsh!

OK heres what you're gonna need to do. Purchase seven jars and set them on your work bench. (cause you won't be needing that space for a while)
starting today...and everyday you will need an extra $84.28 or $590 a week, assuming you both work. And you have decent medical insurance.

this does not include Christmas, Easter, Birthdays...etc

1 diapers = $10 a day
2 food = $10 a day
3 day care = $50 a day
4 shoes/clothes = $50 a week
5 sports/school activities(ballet,gymnastics,soccer,football,braces,proms,car,car insurance) = $50 a week
6 college = $100 a week
7 motorcycle = $ LOL....ok just toss whatever pennies you have left over.

For the first 2 years.
at the end of each week...
distribute complete contents of ALL jars into jars 1 + 2 + 3.

If you're doing it right, after 2 years, all jars should now be empty.

years 3 - 18
at the end of every week
evenly distribute contents of ALL jars into jars 4 + 5

If you're doing it right, after 18 years, all jars should now be empty.

years 19 - 24
evenly distribute contents of ALL jars into jar 6

If you're doing it right, after 24 years, all jars should now be empty.

year 25
sell empty jars 1-6 on ebay. drop that money into jar 7

you might be able to recover the initial cost of the 7 (VINTAGE) jars.

After you pay for a wedding, help w house down payment, college loans (cause you didnt save enough) etc, etc...

place whatever pennies you have in your pocket into jar 7, you can now begin your build.

Good Luck...and remember to have fun!

Good luck with the build bud! I'm in the same position as you except my engine needs a top end refresh. I agree with Alpha, do it the professional way and get it running then mock it all up, brakes, suspension, engine and all. Make sure everything is right then tear it down again and powder coat/paint/polish the heck outta it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trek97 said:
Geesh Alpha a little harsh!

Shit! Man. Your post was waaay more harsh than mine.

Also absolutely correct. I didn't have motorcycles in my life for 30 years, as I couldn't even afford the bench for the aforementioned jars. My daughter went to private school as well as college. Weren't no money in the budget for motorcycles. My wife almost bought me an RD350 in running condition for Christmas one year, but couldn't scrape the $350 together.

This is pretty inspiring so far fellas

Hahaha you guys crack me up. Momma and baby are número uno for sure. Remember in my first post where I said it would be a slow build and fairly low budget? ;)

So I'm set. That's the plan. Get it running THEN treat it back down and make it into what I want. I really feel like that's my best chance for success and I really appreciate all of you steering me in that direction.

I'll be back soon with an update if you all care to follow.

Thanks!
Jason

Back
Top Bottom