Brat style '77 CB550

September 16th:

I got the wheels back from the wheel builders today so spent the evening reasembling them and fitting them.

December 2nd:

I've started on the wiring, i have positioned the starter solenoid and had some power cables made up. Unfortunately thats as far as i have got due to working on my car project and the wife wanting me to do DIY :(

This is a picture i took a few weeks back when i was having a tidy up in the garage. This was the first time it had touched the floor with its wheels on, and the first time i had sat on it.

December 6th:

Small update, i've now got the rocker cover fitted, i just need to source some tappet covers as it only came with 2 and they aren't in the best condition.

12th December.

When moving the bike around, i noticed the clip on bolts were very close if not touching the tank, so i drilled and tapped the bottom triple tree and fitted some small stops to limit the travel:

That brings my progress up to date for now, i've got a clutch lever and perch on order, so hopefully i can start on building the bars up and getting the clutch to operate properly this week.

Thanks for reading so far.
Mike

What's up with the VIN plate being on the rear downtube instead of the neck?

nice work you did good going all the way down to the crank considering condition unknown.you checked the big end clearances as well i assume.
one thing you may have issues with is the rear tire contacting the seat base .
rear wheel travel is the issue.

the forks should not be brought up thru the clamps like you have done unless after you get to know the bike you need less stability.because that is all it is doing is makling the bike less stable, not recomended for a novice
if you are a novice rider the clip ons are not safe at all for you.you need to have more control over the bike as a learner.rearsets help a bit for the comfort part but without rearsets they put you in a position that is uncomfortable and they encourage you to ride with arms locked out straight 'cause of the need to get upright and see the traffic situation.you cant ride safely like that arms straihght,you dont have the control that you need.especially if you are still learning. clip ons exist for racing so a rider can tuck in and present less wind resistance.some bmw bars about a 2" rise,would be soo much better and the bike will be a lot more fun

irk said:
What's up with the VIN plate being on the rear downtube instead of the neck?

Thats the stock location on this year of bike i think, there is a number stamped on the neck and the plate on the down tube.

xb33bsa said:
nice work you did good going all the way down to the crank considering condition unknown.you checked the big end clearances as well i assume.
one thing you may have issues with is the rear tire contacting the seat base .
rear wheel travel is the issue.

the forks should not be brought up thru the clamps like you have done unless after you get to know the bike you need less stability.because that is all it is doing is makling the bike less stable, not recomended for a novice
if you are a novice rider the clip ons are not safe at all for you.you need to have more control over the bike as a learner.rearsets help a bit for the comfort part but without rearsets they put you in a position that is uncomfortable and they encourage you to ride with arms locked out straight 'cause of the need to get upright and see the traffic situation.you cant ride safely like that arms straihght,you dont have the control that you need.especially if you are still learning. clip ons exist for racing so a rider can tuck in and present less wind resistance.some bmw bars about a 2" rise,would be soo much better and the bike will be a lot more fun

Thank you for all the information, its all new to me, so really good to know.

Yes all the clearances were checked, so hopefully i've covered all of the bases with the engine. The fork tubes were something i wasn't aware of, so now i know its something i can change before i finish building everything up.

Thanks
Mike

CB550BRAT said:
Thats the stock location on this year of bike i think, there is a number stamped on the neck and the plate on the down tube.
Maybe that's a British thing? I've never seen that before. They're always on the neck. You might want to check to make sure the numbers on the neck and the VIN plate match.

irk said:
Maybe that's a British thing? I've never seen that before. They're always on the neck. You might want to check to make sure the numbers on the neck and the VIN plate match.

My 77 is on the neck. Nothing back there like pictured here....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That VIN "plate" is probably a sticker, and even if it's an actual plate, it was probably removed from the frame before painting and they stuck back somewhere else. It should be checked against the number stamped into the steering head just to be sure.

That's a great build you got going on there fella. Liking your attention to detail and engine build, I've never ripped one down...yet.

Will be watching from darn sarf innit.

Thanks guys. The carbs are something I'm looking for at the moment as they were missing from the bike when I bought it.

I'm looking to get a set off an earlier 550 or 500 though not a later k3 like mine.

teazer said:
That VIN "plate" is probably a sticker, and even if it's an actual plate, it was probably removed from the frame before painting and they stuck back somewhere else. It should be checked against the number stamped into the steering head just to be sure.

It's is a plate not a sticker. It wasn't removed when I had the frame coated it was just masked around as I didn't want it removed.

I did a quick google search for cb550k3 and my bike is not the only one with the plate on the down tube.

https://goo.gl/images/GvNeIo

Mike

CB550BRAT said:
Thanks guys. The carbs are something I'm looking for at the moment as they were missing from the bike when I bought it.

I'm looking to get a set off an earlier 550 or 500 though not a later k3 like mine.

bummer man I just sold a rack of 74 cb550 carbs... the trip across the pond likely would have been spendy though...

nice work so far man!

CB550BRAT said:
It's is a plate not a sticker. It wasn't removed when I had the frame coated it was just masked around as I didn't want it removed.

I did a quick google search for cb550k3 and my bike is not the only one with the plate on the down tube.

https://goo.gl/images/GvNeIo

Mike

That's interesting and relatively unusual. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom