saving a 1980 KZ750 twin

i wont be home for at least another week and a half

doc_rot said:
i wont be home for at least another week and a half

Thanx - we took a flyer with 24mm - worked spot on.

re:the APE stud sets - do you think they might be persuaded to sell the 4 studs we need as a kit ? They already make them so would be another market outlet for them !

Work is progressing with the twin plug head conversions - the jig is made [ machine shop ]. I am debating whether to use 10mm or 14mm fo the second plug. Either way the conversions I've seen done so far have left the thread exposed where it follows into the combustion chamber contour - in my view risking a local hot spot .... especially with NOS / Turbo !

The uprated [ 20% ] clutch spring samples are now made - just waiting passivating. I have to get 100 ordered, but that's "only" 25 engines - and I now have 3 !

It would be nice if we could persuade APE to come up with the stud kit. Do you have an address / contact for them ?

Attachments

• IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 523
  • Doppelzündung außen.jpg
    Doppelzündung außen.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 529
  • Doppelzündung innen.jpg
    Doppelzündung innen.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 576
You need 8 studs of 2 different lengths. . The 1000 uses 12 studs of three different lengths, so if you buy the 1000 stud set you end up with 4 studs that are too short. APE might sell you a stud kit, sans the 4 studs you don’t need but demand is virtually non existent for something like this so I would be surprised if they would. You also need their longer head nuts or through nuts to compensate for the slightly longer head studs. Their contact info is at http://www.aperaceparts.com/

doc_rot said:
You need 8 studs of 2 different lengths. . The 1000 uses 12 studs of three different lengths, so if you buy the 1000 stud set you end up with 4 studs that are too short. APE might sell you a stud kit, sans the 4 studs you don’t need but demand is virtually non existent for something like this so I would be surprised if they would. You also need their longer head nuts or through nuts to compensate for the slightly longer head studs. Their contact info is at http://www.aperaceparts.com/

Yes, understand re: the lack of a huge market !! - but as they already make the parts ...... worth a try. Thanx for the link, I'll contact them Monday.

WOW - result ! I contacted them and they are willing to sell me the parts needed as a kit.

Depending on price I have 3 other people in UK / Germany interested in kits. I'm trying to get an order for 5 kits - then I can ask for discount !

Can you confirm the length [s ] of the studs required ? When I confirm that they will give me a firm price.

Appreciate your help.

Man you keep getting me at the worst times. I just moved at the beginning of the month to a new two car garage. Everything is still packed up at the moment. Its gonna be a second until I can locate the parts. I do remember that the bolts I did not use from their kit were the shortest ones. hopefully i will have a chance this weekend and dig through my boxes of parts

Attachments

• IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 249
No rush - sorry to catch you at a busy time !

I'm just glad I got a positive response from APE. In fact they seemed to be quite interested in my project !

Unusual these days for a big company to take time to deal with an enquiry which by no means will lead to substantial orders !

But if you give them permission to put pictures on their site etc of your bike with the blower and their studs holding in the pressure that's some great marketing material.

Maritime said:
But if you give them permission to put pictures on their site etc of your bike with the blower and their studs holding in the pressure that's some great marketing material.

Absolutely MT - they are already interested in the concept - especially for the Cafe Racer market. Might even get some free product !!!

Latest update - APE have agreed to supply special kits to me for the KZ750 twin with ALL 8 studs the correct length.

Is there any reason why the shorter studs and nuts can't also be replaced ?

I'm just working on numbers now to try to negotiate a discount. There are several peeps in the UK and Germany interested - just depends on price - which depends on numbers ! ;D

They'll drop ship for me in the US.

major fuckup with the measurements. I was given 158mm for the outers from 2 peeps - which apparently are in a cross ref: book .... W..R..O..N..G.. They're 180mm.

So have to go back to APE now and look like a dummy fro giving them the wrong dims.

As soon as they confirm they have the 180's i'll get another new price for the set. !! ::)

I still haven't found my engine parts in the garage yet. However I picked up a spare motor today that I broke down last year that has been at a friends shop until now. I also saw the incorrect stud length listed in the cross reference and knew it to be wrong, but since they are the same studs for the 1000 I figured they would fit.

Stud lengths are 190mm & 180mm

doc_rot said:
I still haven't found my engine parts in the garage yet. However I picked up a spare motor today that I broke down last year that has been at a friends shop until now. I also saw the incorrect stud length listed in the cross reference and knew it to be wrong, but since they are the same studs for the 1000 I figured they would fit.

Stud lengths are 190mm & 180mm

Thanx for the confirmation .... reference books eh ????

Good news is I'm getting on like a house on fire with one of the guys at APE and he will sort out a complete set of studs / nuts to suit and allow me to market them as KZ750 twin kit as APE product !! I'll PM you with details.

canyoncarver said:
I'd buy a set.

I'll PM you with details when I have final costs. They will make up a KZ750 twin SPECIFIC set [ 8 studs and nuts ] and allow me to market them as an APE product.

I'm finally getting settled into my new place (two car garage!) I have located my broken down engine and more importantly I just received my freshly blueprinted crank back from Falicon. I got a new connecting rod and sent everything to them. I was perusing the factory manual where it clearly states, " you MUST replace the connecting rod bolts if they are loosened or removed." I cant find a complete set of new ones. How imperative is it to use new bolts and nuts? Also, In the spare engine I tore down I noticed it succumbed to the same issue; seizing the wrist pin. Are there any steps I can take to address this? Both connecting rods that i am going to use have heat marks in the small end of the rod. I was planning on re-honing them. Any advice/suggestions for crank reassembly?

Just a thought - were the APE studs you bought all the same length ?

I'll pass on the info for the APE kit [ 750 twin ] they've made up for me.

However, with carriage, customs and VAT [ our UK tax ] it makes them astronomical by the time they get here.

Th good news is I contacted my guy who used to supply me with Hi-Po studs for my Chevy and Ford engines - and he's still in business ! He's prepared to make the studs and supply nuts in the correct grade as per the APE stuff and they will be at least HALF the price of getting the APE ones to the UK. Gearing up for production as we speak. Also - we're half way there [ at least ] to making up a set for the 4 cylinder bikes !!!

beachcomber said:
Just a thought - were the APE studs you bought all the same length ?

there were three lengths. I used the 190 and 180.

Back
Top Bottom