What is the IDEAL bike for a Cafe Racer?

Jfishsolevibe

Coast to Coast
Alright, so naturally as the existing build progresses, one begins to think about the future... Haha. Me and my buddy Alex whos working on the Tiger with me were discussing possibly going in on another bike once this one is finished and just doing it for fun.

SO - Heres the criteria:

Affordability. So this outs any Nortins, Triumphs, BSA's Duc's etc.

Power. Was thinking maybe a 2-stroke? Not interested in the larger bikes, 750's etc.

Buildability. A bike with LOTS of readily available parts, OEM and aftermarket/performance.

Serviceability. Something that isnt too tricky to fiddle with.

STYLE.

EDIT: Reliability. Once refurbed, something that wont shit itself every six months due to a design flaw.

I was thinking one of the RD series, or an XS. However I relly like all of those old Airheads, but I think their size would contradict the above.

Fish

Well I am a honda man, but what I think best fits your criteria may be the XS650 due to the availability of aftermarket parts! But dont count out the CB350 or CB450!

I have 2 XS650's and a 1975 BMW R75 airhead. Either would be great choices. The BMW is a fantastic bike, and is actually very light weight. Low centre of gravity too. Great bike that can be ridden 10 hours a day.

The XS650 will make your hands numb in 20 minutes ;) but has the classic parallel twin look.

Mine ;D :

XS650Project20100103012.jpg

If you could find a good BMW airhead, I'd go that route. Will hold its value, and will be great to ride long distances. But they're EXPENSIVE to fix. My buddy's clutch went, and he dropped $800 in parts to replace all the plates etc.

yeah.. do an XS650... there is really no other bike out there worth riding.. ;D

INCOMING!!!...LOL..

just kidding of course... the Cb's are awesome bikes...

The Honda twins are my favorites, but a little 350 or 450 wont put the power out that an xs650 is capable of for comprable $$. A BMW is awesome, but as Tim said, not really as affordable in the long run, and the aftermarket isnt there to the extent of the Hondas, and Yamahas. I hate to say it but an xs is the way to go if you want looks, power, and reliability without breakin the bank.

Tim,

Ive gotta tell ya man - that is one of, if not THE sweetest motorbike out there. That thing is absolutely essential man.

Thanks for the input fellas. I do really really have a thing for those Bimmers, but I expected to hear that - Theyre BMWs, so the expense is inherent. Id love to have one, but Im sure you guys are right. The XS seems like a strong move. Spose Ill start some casual looking around at pricing on them. Whats the weight like on those XS's? Im a small guy, 5'7". Thats why the 750's naturally dont agree with me.

Thanks folks!

And again, Tim, that bike is SO awesome.

Lots of bikes fit the criteria, GS400/425/450 is a very good series to base a build off of. High on reliability, cheap, not many are being done so it gives that extra cool factor....its not a belly button CB or XS. KZ400/440's or an XS360/400 are good starting points as well. The list is endless actually...find a cheap bike and start the build.

I dig the XS650 aswell as any CB, but they are too comon for me.

CB750... i actually have my tank, seat, tons of parts all just waiting for me to get my hands on one! some day down the line... till then i will wait, i am a fan of the sohc 750's but that is mainly cause that is what i have had in the past

tWistedWheelz said:

hahah.. fine.. ok throw in any Kawasaki then... ;D... hell.. since we are at it..add the Zuki Water Buffalo...

;D

...not that there is anything wrong with that... ;D

Start looking thru Craigslist and see what you can find. There are no Honda CB 500 or CB750's in my area so resorted to an XS1100. Yes it's a big one but hey it's mine. Like many are saying the XS650 is very common. I did pickup a little CB500T that will be my next project.

Good suggestions all, but don't forget the 2 stroke!! ;) ;D ;D

The RD series of Yamaha's are very "Cafe Worthy"!! Finding a used one that hasn't been thrashed might be a challenge, but if you keep your eyes open...

The power to weight ratio is interesting for smaller folk too! ;) :D :D

In the end, it's the best deal you can find on the best bike in your area! 8)

The 1100 is a pure brute. Last summer when I first got it I did minor cosmetic cafe changes (handle bars fairing lower front end). Most people didnt even know what it was. In a race the new rockets always got me off the line but give me 100 ft and I was right back on top of them. I have to whole bike torn apart right now powdercoating the frame and installing the new seat. Hope to post pics soon. I want to take it to the Vintage Motorcycle Rally in Ohio in July.

Big respect for the Yamaha RD's and the Suzuki GS series here, bit of a fan of both. Suzuki also put out a larger twin stroker similar to the RD series, the T500. There was also the later GT500 but it lost some power and was more boxy 80's in the styling department. Any of those would be brilliant, and if you pick up a CB500 make sure its the twin and not the 4-cyl, okay? More torque and the same power with less complexity and more style - win, win, win, win!

Anywho, another idea that I'm flogging at the moment is to get a modern(ish) trail bike like a DR650, TT600, XT500 or similar large single-cylinder air-cooled trailster. Drop the suspension a bit and pull the forks through the stops some, whack a decent tank and seat combo on then add clipons, rearsets & headlight to taste - BAM! Instant stylish lightweight torque-monster that comes with modern brakes on spoked wheels, sporting a nice big aircooled single like the boyz of old. They're all reliable and have a big aftermarket following, plus you can pick them up pretty cheap on the secondhand market in decent condition. Spares are made for most, especially the DR650 which is still in production and seems to be chugging on for eternity.

Cheers - boingk

The one thing I worry about with an old 2 stroke is the inspections here in PA. I forget what the noise law is, I think around 87db at 35mph? Not impossible I'm sure but might take a little extra work to get it legal

around 87db at 35mph

Doesn't say what gear you have to be in does it? ;)

We have an allowance of 94dB, at half the revolutions at which the engine makes maximum power (I think). This is generally conducted 1 metre to the rear of the bike, at an angle of 45' from the exhausts final exit port. It must be conducted in a wide open space to get accurate readings, however.

- boingk

I don't know the details of the law up here, but I HOPE they aren't as stringent as yours Boingk! It might be 89db or even a little higher for a 2 stroke but I think I read somewhere it's a generic drive-by test. So if you have an "in" with the inspector you could go past his driveway and be ok, but just squeeze in the clutch as you go past the police station!

Like I said though, I'm not sure of the details.

Back
Top Bottom