Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

Re: Project 3 the Hard Way- TX500

Hey thanks a lot SrgtBear! I did get a copy of the Yamaha factory service manual printed out, but it's always good to share. I've read your whole build thread, btw, and it's truly a big compliment that you approve of my project.

Re: Project 3 the Hard Way-New Pictures!

SANY0007.jpg

The new (to me) tank I picked up off another forum member. It's a 78 XS500 tank. I think the style suits a cafe racer much better than the original did. If you look closely, you will also notice something new just underneath said tank.
SANY0006.jpg
My new Mikuni VM30's! If you look even closer, you'll see a bit of green at the flange. That is a glimpse at the adapters I made to bring the OD up to the same as the original carbs.
I still need to replace the right side engine cover (it's cracked) and the kickstarter return spring. I'm also working on the seat section. It appears it will not fit without removing some bits.
SANY0008-1.jpg

You can see the issue here. No worries. I have a new die grinder. :)

Re: Project 3 the Hard Way

Well, looks like this is going to go down a slightly different path than intended. For those that don't already know, I lost my job. Of course, that means my budget is shot, and I can't do all the things I wanted. At least not right away. So, I'll be doing what I can with the parts I already have (having 2 parts bikes is a blessing in this case) and trying to use all the extra time I now have to good effect.
Oh, and if anyone wants a 74 TX500 parts bike, let me know. I'm taking all the original locks off my bike and putting them on the better parts bike, and putting the other motor in as well, so it'll be complete minus title. Just saying.

I am sorry to hear about the job buddy. I may want some of those parts if they are up for sale. I could probably use an undamaged swing arm. I wanted to powder coat mine but I painted it instead because it had a few small dents which i filled in. It's probably gonna get chipped away at eventually.

I also need the rubber grommets for the side covers. I have a few but I can't locate a couple of the top pieces and specific missing the bottom piece that they snap into.

Re: Project 3 the Hard Way- 73 TX500

I don't have any pictures this time around, but just a little update. Since the parts bike I'm keeping didn't have keys, I transferred all the locks and guages to it from my bike. I wasn't going to use them anyway. Clipons are on order from DCC, as well as throttle assembly, grips, and headlight ears in black. Also, I snagged a second throttle cable off a junkyard bike, since for some reason the one that came with my Mikunis hangs up a little.
So she's half dis-assembled again, awaiting new parts, after which I'll finish the wiring and chop up the frame a little to better suit my needs. No more centerstand, no seat hinges or lock, shortening the rear subframe about 8 inches.
Oh, and I've got a surprise in store regarding my ignition... Since I HATE points... Lol. Prepare to be amazed!

I'm excited to see what happens with the ignition, I would love to dump my points system when the time comes.

2011-05-12152228.jpg

Just a small update. I went ahead and lopped off the rear frame section so I could finalize placement of my new seat section/reserve tank and get cracking on the fiber glass. I also managed to make a trade with another forum member so I am now running VM32's, as opposed to the previous 30's. (thanks AimSmall)
I'm mostly stuck right now waiting on parts from DCC (clipons, throttle assembly and grips, headlight ears) so progress is limited, but I'm doing what I can. I'm on the hunt for a CBR600f3 right front rotor and a FZ600 master cylinder so I can finish my front brake setup, but it's not like I can install it without bars anyway.... Other than that, I'm ready to buy the parts for my own design of electronic ignition, but unemployment doesn't pay well enough to let me do that yet... On the plus side, it should only cost around 70 bucks and a little fettling, so it beats Newtronic in both cost and percieved reliability.

Pertronix or other car systems have been used in the past. I often modify DYNA S systems as long as I can get them at the right price (cheap). I have also used systems off GS twins and 4s which are usually quite cheap.

Yeah, you got me... I was planning on using some Pertronix components. After some closer inspection I'm not as sure it would fit. I'm thinking compufire might work a little better. We'll see now that I've got a spare timing plate and advance mechanism to work with.

2011-05-23171221.jpg

Stone guard for the headlight.
I gotta say, being out of work sucks. Not much I can do without a steady paycheck.
2011-05-23171314.jpg

I did lop off the passenger peg loops quick while I was detabbing the frame. I won't be using them. As a matter of fact, they were kind of in the way of the rearset assemblies. A keen eye will also notice I removed the main pegs and shortened the motor mount bolt to compensate. It was in the way of the shift linkage.

2011-05-25170356.jpg

I think this will be somewhat more effective than the stock rotor.... Well, once I get my new Nissin two-piston caliper mounted.

Okay, I realize it's been a while since I made an update, but I'm unemployed, so what can I do? I've been spending most of my time fucking around with the parts bike I gave my buddy. I even managed to procure a title for it. In my opinion, the bike was done.... But the new owner took a liking to some of my mods, and tried to emulate. So now his bike looks good, but won't run. I guess he doesn't subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought. And I'm STILL waiting for the clipons I ordered from DCC on April 20. Also, I was supposed to pick up a caliper adaptor on Saturday at the AHRMA races in Elkhart Lake, but the blueprint I made up apparently had some errors. So my machinist buddy had to start over, and it won't be ready. Boo. That's my update.

Hang in there Thom, and keep talking to people about what you do and what you're good at and work will find you - but you have to keep chasing it so it can catch you. Like women - if you're desperate they sense it and you lose out. When you appear not to be chasing it's easier to land one.

If you need some bike inspiration, we're about an hour south of you down 94.

Thanks Teazer. I appreciate the pep talk!

I was at the AHRMA races in Elkhart Lake this weekend, mostly for fun, partly for business, and I procured a few odds and ends. Pictures will follow.
My machinist buddy (kodiak on the forum) made an adaptor for me so I could use a CBR600f1 caliper on my stock forks with my FZR600 front rotor, and he brought the first attempt with him so I could check it on the bike to see if any changes need be made. Obviously, some changes DO need to be made, but on the whole it will work out famously when finished.
Also, I ran across a Ducati style fiberglass seat/tail in the swap meet area that I HAD to have. Thanks go out to my best friend Jake for helping me pay for it.
As an aside, Jake should be putting up a build thread of his own shortly. We now have a title for the parts bike I gave him, and after today's thrash session, it runs, too! So yeah, big ups!
Pics will be in my next post.

2011-06-13204656.jpg

Decided the Benelli mini-bike tank was not worth the work. Now I'm using this spiffy Ducati-style fiberglass seat. Also, I'm going with black case covers and valve cover. I'll paint the valve cover when I adjust the valves.
2011-06-13204528.jpg

Test fit of the caliper and adaptor. Need to move the holes where it mounts to the fork down 3mm, and add some material at the caliper.
Oh, and I got an e-mail from Dime City today. Now it will be mid JULY before they can get my clipons sent out. I said enough is enough. I want a refund and I'm get a set off E bay. They'll only take a week.

Do you need 35mm clip-ons for that Yammy? I can give you a deal on an extra set I have. They were for my t500 but I went with a modern USD front end. Let me know.

The project is looking good man. Keep at it.

Hey two-smoker, where did you get that ducati style seat from? It looks to be the perfect length for me. Did you shorten the seat pan?

Sparkymoto: I appreciate the offer, but it turns out I had ordered the wrong size in the first place. My forks are 34mm. So this whole debacle was a good excuse to order the right stuff.
juggernaut: I got the seat from a swap meet vendor at the AHRMA races in Elkhart Lake last weekend. It was the only one he had, and it's got some flaws. I didn't need to shorten it, I just tucked about an inch or so under the back of the tank.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom