www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750  (Read 84089 times)

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
Re: "Not so Mellow Yellow" - KZ750 - "Tangerine Dream"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:09:49 »
CM - thanx for the headsup on the bobbed frame rails.

I now have a picture of a bare frame and the mod is now obvious.

On the plus side - all the welding / fab seems to be of a good standard - just need to replace the top frame rail / rear loop. Bizarrely, despite all the rust and corrosion - the wiring loom is in good condition ! It's been modded, but the actual material is in good condition.

I'll give it a whirl at starting before I rip into it.

BTW - here's a high level system I'v seen on a couple of KZ750's now. I would have preferred the bends to be tighter / tidier - but better than a total one off, probably. 

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 09:14:02 by beachcomber »
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline notlob

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Made in England
    • CB750 Brat Bobber Build Thread
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:35:04 »
Good luck with this one BC I like the "lonesome Twins" and been looking for a cheap one myself.
“Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look.” >> Steve McQueen

Look at it! God, your project is ... it's everywhere. Your garage looks like you've been committing war crimes against a robot.

Build Threads
1980 Cb750: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43860.0
1982 CB900: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46733.0

Offline crackerman

• 79' KZ750 builds
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2012, 16:25:28 »
That pipe looks similar to my scrambler Arrow 2 into 1 pipe. Def much tighter bends.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2012, 17:41:40 »
That pipe looks similar to my scrambler Arrow 2 into 1 pipe. Def much tighter bends.

That's much more like it CM !!!!!! The two sets of pipes [ my pix ] look identical - so I'm guessing they must be commercially available. That said they DO look ugly compared to yours ! I quite like the high level Siamese system that Triumph used on some of their pre-unit Trophies [ exiting on the other side ]. I think I might end up taking some measurements and seeing if I can mod something.

BTW - I had a very good look around the donor today, and despite appearances everything that I need is in good / salvageable shape. I'm still well pleased, especially for the outlay.

I'm looking for a peanut style tank. Triumph export would be nice - but I imagine expensive. Maybe an SR250, Yam XS500 ..................... ???????

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:14:24 »
2 hours in - all the clutter off and rough mock up with parts from garage. I'm keeping the pipes on for the time being as I want to try to start it over the Christmas period prior to pulling the lump.

Further little bonuses - it already has a shorty front mudguard and believe it or not NEW brake pads ! The Discs are GTG, but I'm toying with the idea of fitting a spare Brembo 2 pot caliper [ from the Kay ]. They're HALF the weight of the OEM KZ units, and I have to guess - a better braking option.

It would never have worked as a Cafe Racer - again - physically too small. Tracker will just about work out OK.

I found an eyeball smiteing Tangerine / Orange from the new Audi range - might work.

My pal just called to say he found a heavyweight Tan suede jacket in a charity shop - £5 !! That's the upholstery material sorted.

Oh yes - a neighbour has just offered me £50 for the 2 tyres !

All in all I'm pleased with my purchase - what at first seemed like a BIG mistake has turned out fine. now then, if the motor bursts into life, that'll be a happy Christmas.

Any advice on how to repair the mudguard   8) ??

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2012, 09:16:47 by beachcomber »

Offline Fab Tanks

« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:36:57 »
Thats a nice find and these are a great bike very understated Ive also got one waiting to be converted in to a tracker look forward to seeing your progress :)

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:46:15 »
Thats a nice find and these are a great bike very understated Ive also got one waiting to be converted in to a tracker look forward to seeing your progress :)

Yes, as stated - I'm well pleased - especially for the money.

I reality there's NOT a lot you can do to a Tracker to make it really different. Once you accept the idea of a 70's style, everything more or less falls into place. Seat, Bars, tank, exhaust, small / no headlamp ......................

I guess it does give you more scope to be creative with colourways and graffix.

I built a couple of smaller Trackers - XS500, GS450, but they just didn't seem to have enough "presence".

On the plus side, there's not a great deal of expense involved. I guess the exhaust and powder coating will be the main outlays.

Fingers crossed I don't find any horrors when I start the motor  !!

Something along these lines for the exhaust ...............

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2012, 11:02:02 by beachcomber »

Offline crackerman

• 79' KZ750 builds
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:04:54 »
They shoulda made that exhaust hanger a little lower so the pipe just drag on the ground. Not sure how they thought that was a good idea.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:17:08 »
They shoulda made that exhaust hanger a little lower so the pipe just drag on the ground. Not sure how they thought that was a good idea.

What with that and the ape hangers - I don't think bend swinging was high on the list of priorities !

Offline crackerman

• 79' KZ750 builds
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:44:18 »
 I'd pull those carbs apart and soak them. If there the original carbs they are pretty easy to take apart and put back together. Build yourself a real simple wiring harness just to power the starter and coil. Fresh gas, new plugs and it should fire up if it's not seized.