Dominator NX650 Street tracker

Torker1

Hi All ,
Just signed up here and will be showing my street tracker build based on the Honda Dominator. It's been underway for a good while so will post pics to show some progress and where it's at now.
Cheers !

Attachments

• DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 710
First step was to lower the front suspension by 4 inches. Did this by chopping 4" off the internal spring at the loosely coiled end, which should stiffen it up as well. Then turned up some 4" spacers on the lathe which take up the slack from the missing spring inside the fork.
Photos show the spacers and the bike, now 4" lower at the front.

Attachments

• DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 738
  • DSC_0040.JPG
    DSC_0040.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,783
Bons, I like your choice of tank. Quite short , which will bring the seat forward authentic flat track style !
Here's a shot of mine with 18" front rim and new tyres fitted.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,221
Couple of shots with Yamasuki 125 chinese tank in position. I'm quite pleased with the look http://www.dotheton.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9,988
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,788
that thing looks brilliant! Are you going to reduce the amount of rear suspension travel to match the front (and potentially keep from slamming the tire into the seat/tailsection, if you make a new one that's level as the bike sits now) or are you just going to run it as-is?

if I were doing it and wanted to reduce the rear suspension travel on the cheap, I'd be tempted to take the springs off, drop the front and rear down equal amounts (so it sits like it does now, but with the fork bottomed out and the rear suspension compressed partially) and measure how much shock shaft is exposed, cut off the existing bumpstop, and put on one that's maybe 1/8" longer than the exposed shock shaft length you measured. just cut it down one side (if it's not one of the bumpstops that's pre-split and designed to be changed out without disassembling the shock) and if it has a convenient groove, put a zip-tie or safety wire on it to keep it from coming undone, adjust the spring rate/preload to suit the reduced travel, and ride it! circle track car bumpstops are dirt cheap and I believe are designed to be cut down to a desired length, so it should be just a bit of trial and error to get it set up like you want, assuming you want to go that route.

what do you have planned for the exhaust and tail section/seat?

Did you use the original hub in the front wheel? Do you know what the length of the spokes is in that case?

Thanks for all the positive comments !
The rear shock will be replaced with a Hagon fully adjustable, which I will stiffen up and fit with a bump stop on the shaft to stop excess travel. Thanks for the tip about dirt track cars as a supplier for the rubber :) . Exhaust will use a standard front section, mated to a megaphone silencer through a joining section that I will need to fab.
The front wheel uses the standard hub laced to an 18" rim from the rear of an XR250. It was hard to source as the Hondas have an unusual amount of spokes.
I took it to a wheel builder to lace up, but frankly it was only just do-able as the shorter spokes had to be flexed to follow a path to the rim. One really important thing to be aware of is that the hub is not necessarily centred with the rim and you will need to know the offset. I can look it up and pass it on if you need it.

Cheers , Phil

Torker1 said:
Thanks for all the positive comments !
The rear shock will be replaced with a Hagon fully adjustable, which I will stiffen up and fit with a bump stop on the shaft to stop excess travel. Thanks for the tip about dirt track cars as a supplier for the rubber :) . Exhaust will use a standard front section, mated to a megaphone silencer through a joining section that I will need to fab.
The front wheel uses the standard hub laced to an 18" rim from the rear of an XR250. It was hard to source as the Hondas have an unusual amount of spokes.
I took it to a wheel builder to lace up, but frankly it was only just do-able as the shorter spokes had to be flexed to follow a path to the rim. One really important thing to be aware of is that the hub is not necessarily centred with the rim and you will need to know the offset. I can look it up and pass it on if you need it.

Cheers , Phil

We (Bons and I) got the spokes in for the front wheel. If you could look up the offset, it would be much appreciated. I could do it in the forks i guess, but i like to do it the way it's done. Not how it can be done. Thanks!

Check my Gf's build, she is doing an NX too. Its somewhere in the trackers section. Her username is Bons.

Back
Top Bottom