Project Lollipop CB100

coyote13

Over 1,000 Posts
Wellllllllll, I guess it's time I start a build thread. I've been gleaning info off of this site (and others) to get my dad's old CB back up and running, so this is where I'll document that process, if anyone wants to keep up.

This was my dad's bike when he was a kid. Bought brand new in 1972, stayed bone stock for...well...forever. He put a handful of mile on it, had his fun, and put it away. It was relegated to a barn at our farm for about 30 years, until my grandfather pulled it out, had it cleaned up, tuned up, and running well. I learned how to ride on this bike, in this condition. Unfortunately, I was young and stupid, and the bike stayed at our farm, which we seldom ventured out to. One weekend we went out, and the bike wouldn't start. Looking back, I realize it was probably just bad gas, or maybe the battery was shot. In any case, being young and dumb, I left it in the barn for the next 15 years or so.

Fast forward about two or three years ago, I've graduated from college, out on my own, have a steady job. I've been riding motorcycles, and have a couple friends interested as well. "Hell, I've got a little bike you guys could learn on, easy peasy!" Or so I thought. Finally took some friends out to the farm, brought a truck, and went out to the barn to find my old steed. Now, this isn't just a pole barn with dirt floors, open to the elements. It's a nice steel building, on a solid concrete foundation, with a little workshop on one side and a closet in the back. Over the years, I guess the little Honda got in the way and someone shoved her into the closet. So, we pulled her out of the closet, and rolled her into the sunshine for the first time in nearly two decades. At first glance, she didn't look too bad! That's when I realized the error of my young and dumb 11 or 12 year old ways - full tank of what once was gas, petcock open. I sat down on the bike, slightly dejected, and the forks spit nearly all of their oil out, as if to weep with sadness. "Fuck it," I thought, "I can fix this." And so we loaded her up for the trek back to Dallas.

For a little background - we brought the bike back to my house at the time, which was in no way suited for a project of this nature. She ended up under a tarp in the backyard for lack of a better storage option, and there she sat until about a year later when I moved into a house with a proper garage.

So here we are now, with proper garage, decent set of tools and skills, motivation, and a little extra time. After a more or less failed attempt at cleaning and sealing the gas tank, she sat in the back of the garage for about a year and a half while I squared away things with other projects. Life does get in the way you know. I was talking to my girlfriend the other day, and I asked her "If I get that little Honda running, would you want to learn how to ride?" She says "Well sure!"

Psh. Good enough for me.

So here she is at the moment, sitting safely in the garage. I busted off the bolt that holds the ignition/advance unit to the cam, with some of the bolt still in the cam. Major problem #1, but I'll attempt to drill it out and tap it for another bolt. Somewhere along the line, I bought a new battery and tried starting it up (after cleaning up the carb of course) and didn't realize the R/R wasn't bolted up and therefore not grounded. Blew the fuse, fried the R/R. Threw on a new fuse and a new reg/rec on now from Oregon Motorcycle Parts. I'm considering a whole wiring harness, or just wiring from scratch. Initially I'm just going to get it running, but along the way it will be customized, modified, and perfected to my liking.

Stay tuned....

Attachments

• IMG_4094[1].JPG
    IMG_4094[1].JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 444
Chirp chirp, chirp chirp....

Haha kinda quiet in here. Just got fresh tires, tubes, and strips in the mail. I went with a set of Michelin Gazelles, 2.75 x 18 front and 3.00 x 17 rear. Figured a quarter inch larger in the front than stock will help balance the look, while not going so big as to impact handling too much. Any of you guys run Gazelles before? They look sweet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 457
kewl.................I have a little 72 CB100.......no wheres near as purty as yours.

Looking forward to what you do.

Maybe pick up some pointers, and give some if I can.

Jack

When I was investigating tires to buy, I was torn between the tracker or cafe look. I went with some Shinko dual purpose tires since they fit the tracker style better. However, if I were to have gone the cafe route I would've gone with the Gazelle's. Every review or testimony I got from them was positive.

Thanks Rimmy, I also found a lot of positive reviews. I think they're aggressive enough to pull off a tracker look ok, though the Shinkos do look right at home on your Mighty Mite.

Soooooo a couple weeks ago I put in an order through Tena Vintage in Indonesia for a couple things, not the least of which were a brand new carb and coil. I'm sure they could be found stateside, and I'm sure I could find "better," but 25 bucks for a new carb is alright by me. Anyhow, just got the invoice from them today, and unfortunately it's going to take 3-4 weeks for the order to get here, as it's coming from...you guessed it, Indonesia.

In the meantime, that gives me time to get the silly bolt drilled out in the camshaft, get a few things polished, painted, etc. and get that fresh rubber mounted up.

Kind of a weak update I guess, but I've never done a full build thread (nor a full build), so I'm trying to keep it as up to date as possible.

Curious, does anyone have a minimal wiring diagram for one of these? I know I've seen one on the net somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now.

If not I can always just trace it out on the stock diagram and go from there.

EDIT: Found it! Posting here for future reference, though I'm still not positive this is what I'll use on mine:

http://ramen4life.blogspot.com/2012/01/honda-cb100-wiring-chop-color-coded.html

CB100+Wiring+Chop.jpeg

You are doing a much better job on your build than I have on mine.

I've got my engine tore down, have a new piston and rings, just sitting there on the bench.

Gotta find a machine shop around here that will do the bore I want. .050 over.

Bike is strung out between the garage and the shed.

So, where did you order the tires from?

Hey Bud, no sweat on your project, I've been "working" on this one going on three years and all I've really done is stripped a bolt and bought some tires. HA

Got the Gazelles through www.chaparral-racing.com. They have a Scooter subsection under Tires, and had a pretty damned good deal on them. I think I spent a total of 90 bucks, including shipping, tubes, and rim strips.

Btw, got the front tire mounted last night. Such a pain in the ass, but it's on there damnit! Got the wheel cleaned up with some Goof Off and steel wool, the chrome hoop actually looks really nice! I think I'm gonna have to blast and spray the hubs and spokes, there's just too many years of grime and gunk on them. Ah well....c'est la vie!

Haven't done much in the last month here, but I decided this week to try my hand at welding up an exhaust. I had a couple sets of old pipes laying around, so I started cutting out bends and making it all fit together. This is the first thing I've really welded, so it ain't real pretty, but I think it's pretty cool. I couldn't justify spending the money on a good CL exhaust, because I knew I would just end up hacking it and throwing on a Cone Eng meg. So, after a couple different configurations weren't going to work (interference with carb and kicker, tried to run under the seat but couldn't clear the tire, etc.), this is what I came up with. Still need to weld up the joint right in front of the head, then I'll spray it with high temp and figure out a heat shield.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,201
dayyyyum dude..................I do like that pipe...!!!!!

Thanks Bud, it was fun to build. Turns out the flanged part of a stock Sportster crossover tube is the perfect dimensions for a starting point. From there I took a couple bends out of some CB750 headers that had gotten banged up in a spill (PO), and then stepped up to another section of the stock Sportster pipe and muffler (which the PO of that bike had already hacked up). Still needs a baffle, but I've got an idea for that.

Bert, I'm trying my damnedest to keep that stock tank, but after a failed POR15 treatment I'm not sure it's going to be runnable. It has sentimental value to me, so if I can save it, I will. It isn't as pretty as it looks in pictures, but it may still work.

So I made my first attempt at mounting tires, and, you guessed it....pinched the tubes on both of them :mad:

I did get a seat made up and "sort of" mounted. Lots left to do to get it right, but I like the general look.

Tried to use controls made for a moped (figured they would be about the same size as the little 100's), and while they look good, they will need some modification to work. The front brakes need a new spring, as they won't return without pushing the lever back out, and the rear brakes are gonna take some finagling, as I took the actuator arm off of the spindle to get the wheel off and now can't get the actuator arm back on.

All of my cables need to be modified to work with the moped controls/

Still need to make up an electronics tray, grind down some tabs, probably needs new chain and sprockets, then needs to be completely wired.

Seems I've made a big old mess here without much progress, but I never expected this to be done quickly. So here's an updated shot...

Attachments

• IMG_4596[1].PNG
    IMG_4596[1].PNG
    798.1 KB · Views: 1,030
coyote13 said:
I went with a set of Michelin Gazelles, 2.75 x 18 front and 3.00 x 17 rear. Figured a quarter inch larger in the front than stock will help balance the look, while not going so big as to impact handling too much. Any of you guys run Gazelles before? They look sweet!

I have Gazelles on my MB5 and really like them. I only have around 400 miles on them so far but no complaints as of yet. Also, they seem like they are going to last a very long time, can't even wear off the little things sticking out from the manufacturing process (sorry don't know what they are called) :eek:

Been a while since the last update, so here's a little something. Haven't gotten a LOT done since I've been working on a CL350 for my buddy, but a little progress has been made. Since the last post I've picked up and added: a CL pipe with the heat shield cut down a bit (it was rusty and mangled) and gasket, a new wiring harness (about 3/4 of the way installed), and put the stock seat and rear fender back on. The brown seat just didn't have the look I wanted and was poorly made, by yours truly. Oh, and I also started in on an electrics tray, had a set of old mirrors that were on my '55 Ford, busted the mirror out of one of them and cut some brackets out of the inside, VOILA, electrics tray. Even has a handy hole in the side where I'll likely mount my ignition switch.

One thing bothering me: I added longer shocks to the rear and now the fender looks REALLY goofy. Another seat/fender may still be on the to-do list to remedy that.

The cone filter will most likely go in the trash, may replace with a long velocity stack and sock. We'll see.

Attachments

• IMG_5524[1].JPG
    IMG_5524[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 318
  • IMG_5525[1].JPG
    IMG_5525[1].JPG
    839.3 KB · Views: 297
These engines HATE stacks and pods.
I'm sure the removable of the air box is for the "look", but know these motors don't have a lot of HP to loose....and the air box is not restricting or robbing HP, it's making it.

Back
Top Bottom