'77 dt 250

matthryan

hey guys, I've finally got around to starting a build thread haha
My names Matt I'm 17 and live in Queensland - Australia
I have been around bikes most of my life, dad used to race and he's a mechanic so if theres anything I can't do he normally can!

about 2 months ago i bought a fairly thrashed 1977 dt 250 off a guy on gumtree who gave up on it when he could never get it running properly. it was in rough condition with wires hanging everywhere however he had receipts from the guy before him that proved the engine had been freshly rebuild.

so I jumped in my car and drove the 2 hours down to have a look. we settled on $250 and he was just happy to get it out of his shed.

it came with a really smashed up air box and that was the problem with it running rough. the carb was jetted way off and all I had to do was re-jet and she purrs now with a foam uni filter :)

pic_7.jpg

loaded onto my ute for the drive home

as soon as I got home I teared into her, cleaning up the wiring and anything else I could find.
pic_9.jpg

pic_11.jpg

rebuilt the carby and gave it a good clean

pic_12.jpg

more wiring

pic_17.jpg

got her running and went out for a ride. for a bike made in 1977 she sure does have some power!

pic_25.jpg

pulled out the engine and gave it a coat of paint

Thats as far as I am at the moment, forks are apart and I'm waiting on new fork seals to put them back together, waiting on a set of drag bars from ebay.

This will never be a show quality bike, dirty and ready to ride is how I want her.
Probably going to go down the skateboard seat route and see what I can do about a different tank.

cruising through gumtree last night I came across a 200cc kinlon motard
probably going to be more trouble then it was worth but I really wanted to start riding the service roads through the state forests again. for $400 I really don't care if i get another year out of it and then bin it.
pic_26.jpg

also got my bars, tail light and fork seals.

pic_15.jpg

pic_29.jpg

pic_30.jpg

Currently I'm de-tabbing the frame and them I'm going to get a rear hoop bent up so I can weld it in and shorten the back of the frame a little bit.

'77 dt 250

Been chipping away at this slowly
Having just left school and not being too sure what I want to do im only working casual at a local clothing shop... So the budget for this is rather small

Got mostly everything painted now and I'm just waiting for the frame to come back from a mates work shop then it can all be pieced back together

ba8uhe3u.jpg

6e7e8e4e.jpg

zyja4yta.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'77 dt 250

Does anyone know of anyone running rear sets on these bikes? Would love to run some clip ones but wouldn't even try without rear sets....
Had a quick search but didn't find anything

heres one...
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=34594.msg378942#msg378942

'77 dt 250

Wiring cleaned up and pretty much finished... Frames been painted so I should start to assemble the bike tomorrow! Getting pretty stoked!!

aqy6a3eh.jpg

'77 dt 250

Electrics set out, engine in
Now to fab up a seat and sort out what im doing with the taillight / rear blinkers / hoop / exhaust haha
bygepy6u.jpg

'77 dt 250

Got some blind spot mirrors and stuck them on the bars... They are wide angle so i can surprising see a lot... Going to make brackets for them soon
Front ends finished up
Now i just need a seat a better looking tank a capacitor (replace battery)
And we should be good to go
qa4a4yva.jpg

'77 dt 250

Decided that the exhaust simply wouldn't work if i shortened the frame and ran a rear hoop,
so I shortened it and welded it back together
Bike will Probably going need a tune again, but i didnt touch the expansion chamber or anything so the changes shouldnt be too drastic ( I hope)
Pictures to come!

my bad...
will you make a saucer with bezel and then glue them in?
looking forward to seeing how you attach those permanently...

Back
Top Bottom