www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: CB360 - OEM+ lets see what happens here.  (Read 16340 times)

Offline work9to5

• See you in the wind.
Re: CB360 - OEM+ lets see what happens here.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2014, 15:58:06 »
Got my attention!

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Ben Lewis Creative
« Reply #31 on: Oct 26, 2014, 22:36:54 »
When the going gets tough, the tough end up spending 60 hour weeks at work, and paying for cross continent holiday plane tickets for their families instead of buying the few cheap as shit parts needed to get this thing back on the road:  I swear though, that every time I do the math on this, it gets more expensive:

OEM gas cap latch: $50
Tank Sealer: $30
4 Gallons of Apple Cider Vinegar: $17
Paint: $30
clear coat at a shop (because this guy doesn't have access to a clean place to spray or a compressor): $???
Ignition Coils $50
Spark Plug Wires (totally optional, could franken rob the wires off the factory coils) $20
Tank of gas from the ARCO down the block: $9

bleh.  At this point the body work is meh, but I'm not a body man, and I'm done staring at this thing in the yard.  next time I'll pay someone else to do it and let it just be good.  This time, Wintery Phoenix calls, and I can't let this turn into a year long hiatus . . . / I have my eyes set on a $1500 build idea . . . maybe this guy is my meal ticket out of here. (no hate CB, you are just heavy, old, cranky, and impossible to find parts for.)

"Progress" to date.  Major dents "mostly" filled (you can see how true that is from this shitty shot)
couple coats of primer
seat pan shaved and hand rolled to fit with CB450 tank
foam "cut" don't love it though.  Rear hump part is just beyond where I plan to short chop the bike.  I'm hoping to hide the foam butchery with some 1/4" shipping foam between the leather and the factory foam . . . we will see.

cheers.

Anyone need a factory original seat? I was smart enough to cut up a shredded one, instead of the pristine example I was riding around on in my past life.
Love me some old shit that don't run right . . .
75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
2009 MBC Street Fixie
2016 Retrospec Folding Speck
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Ben Lewis Creative
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2014, 19:29:03 »
I've got a dumb question before I hook everything up . . . is the left point (when looking at the points) for the left ignition coil?

I took everything off and didn't snap a picture. . . .  ::)

The other (less dumb) question is wether these new yamaha coils need to have the condenser hooked up (same as the OEM coils) (I wired the old leads up to snap into the new coils so that I can connect everything, but I'm not sure if I need to . . .

The other option is just popping the stator cover off and going through the correct motions to figure this out on my own, but if anyone wants to save me the time . . . much appreciated.

(this also means that my tank has been patched, sealed, and is in the process of getting painted: I also have new yamaha coils installed (but obviously not wired.)
75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
2009 MBC Street Fixie
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2014, 19:53:12 »
Right point (blue, I think) is left cylinder.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Ben Lewis Creative
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2014, 23:00:20 »
Thanks for the help Sonreir:

I had a pic of the blue point attaching to the condenser side of the bike, which is the right side.  Never broke into the points.  plugged everything in and she fired right up.  Now to fix a few little things. (I want to note that there is evidence on the webz of these colors being reversed on some CB360s, so if you are reading this, don't assume that what I wrote here is correct for your bike.)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2015, 17:18:04 by Cursh »
75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
2009 MBC Street Fixie
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Ben Lewis Creative
« Reply #35 on: Jan 01, 2015, 17:17:35 »
I could use some help.  The CB450 tank puts the petcock right on top of the left carb. It works fine turned in about 50 degrees, which makes switching the thing on a bit awkward.  Are there any slimmer petcocks out there? The thing that hits the carb is the split outlet off to the side.

I really do live in an extreme climate.  The JB weld i used to patch the choke switch together broke, so I removed the butterfly valve.  It doesn't get cold enough for me to need it and I can always make a new choke tie (whatever connects the two carbs there) from scraps at TechShop.  Anyway.  I plugged everything in and strapped everything on; gave the battery a good two day charge after topping the cells off with distilled water and the bike fired right up.  I rode it around the block a few times and snapped some photos. I think I need to replace all of the cables.

The forks are way past due for a rebuild. Are there any springs that I should consider swapping in when I'm in there?
75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
2009 MBC Street Fixie
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Duchat

« Reply #36 on: Jan 01, 2015, 17:32:30 »
Ooh I'm paying attention to this one; and any word about ride quality too. I've heard a full race tech spring and damper swap makes a stiff ride.

Offline Cursh

• Loves Stock Airboxes
    • Ben Lewis Creative
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2015, 21:33:28 »
Ooh I'm paying attention to this one; and any word about ride quality too. I've heard a full race tech spring and damper swap makes a stiff ride.

Thanks. =)

I think I'll just rebuild the forks with the existing springs.  Seems like race tech springs would make this thing even less tracker than it already is.
75 CB360 project.
73 MGB
Bicycle enthusiast.
2009 MBC Street Fixie
www.instagram.com/cursh

Offline Duchat

« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2015, 23:42:58 »
Thanks. =)

I think I'll just rebuild the forks with the existing springs.  Seems like race tech springs would make this thing even less tracker than it already is.
I said that I had heard that. I would also love to hear from some people that have made the plunge. It's an expensive upgrade and you'll never get any of it back when you sell so you better enjoy it.

Offline redahtamn

« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2015, 02:22:16 »
quick read through the thread and I find a bike in 3 separate stages and a couch bought to recover a seat. fing great man! keep it rolling on
anyone can buy something amazing, i prefer to make