Dominator tracker in the making

mekanikki

Greetings and salutations from Finland!

My friend and I are in the process of making a sort of a street tracker out of a '98 Dominator and I thought you might want to see the progress!
I bought the bike practically without seeing it first and I haven't even heard it run yet! The electrics are a bit of a mess at the moment but we'll sort those out after the metal work on the bike is done. My friend is the one doing all the metal work and turning my vision into reality.

Heres the bike when I first picked it up
sZmljG5.jpg

Found an old GT125 tank from a Facebook fleamarket for 7€. Didn't think twice and bought it. At this point I wasn't sure about the tank, since I had all these ideas in my head that came from Kiddo Motors Uno and Dos with the XT500 tanks.
9vMFmG3.jpg

Some disassembly and fitted the tank again... Starting to grow on me.
PYSUTFj.jpg

Took the bike to my friends shop and let him work his magic! :D Off with the subframe!
E8ufXHq.jpg

First version of the new subframe/seat combo. This version was cut off and made again.
M8SCH9w.jpg

New subframe and test fitting! Woop woop! Getting psyched and a little more anxious to get the bike on the road! The Dommie is starting to look quite tiny! :D Also we threw on a TTR600 18" front wheel to check out the stance...
7b3RYHe.jpg

The master at work! Welding on a little subframe reinforcement!
VaD8miO.jpg

The said reinforcement in place
vyCMO9c.jpg

So this is where we are at the moment. I just ordered new rims from Moose Racing, 18" in rim for the back and 19" for the front. The frame will be powder coated once all the grinding and welding is done and the engine will be painted as well. A lot of stuff to be done, but we'll be cracking at it quite a bit!

To be continued... :eek:

Greets from Estonia! ;D

Very cool build, especially since i´m building a Domi tracker too (check my signature link if you´re curious). I will surely wait for progress in this topic! Also, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Although it´s a simple bike and probably there are none ;D

tort said:
Greets from Estonia! ;D

Very cool build, especially since i´m building a Domi tracker too (check my signature link if you´re curious). I will surely wait for progress in this topic! Also, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Although it´s a simple bike and probably there are none ;D

Hey Tort! I've been following your project as well! ;) Which wheel rims did you use? I ordered CRF450 rims for mine because they were practically the only ones I could find with 32 holes and in the sizes I wanted. I'm a little worried how they will lace up to the original hubs. Spokes will be custom made.

I ordered from central wheels uk, but it isnt a SM pro (they didnt have it at the moment) but a Morad polished one. Rear one is original. Had them both powdercoated in Estonia. Custom made spokes ftw! I hope you´ll manage.

Do you have an example similar to what you´re trying to achieve? What kind of muffler for example?

Well, something along these lines but with my own twist. The bike came with a Husaberg enduro silencer. It will be shortened to fit the bike. Supertrapp would be cool but since the bikes being built on a budget for now we'll have to use what we have at hand.

1529816_681711345213438_1735227320_o.jpg

Some progress has been made! My friend has been plugging away quite a lot since he's on vacation! ;D

The rearlight has been sort of tried on and approximately tested. Dont mind the ugly workmanship on it, the rear light will be fitted into a CNC-machined block to get it fitting nice a flush. The block will be welded onto the frame. Tiny little blinkers will be fitted too so they don't jump into view too much.
JwjBB7W.jpg

The silencer was made into a nice and stubby piece. It found its place on the bike as well.
YC1TPv7.jpg

Heres a little bit of a better view. I can't wait to see everything cleaned up, finished and painted.
ynPJU51.jpg

Bottom of the subframe. A piece of aluminum was fitted and the electrics will eventually sit there under the seat. Hopefully everything will fit nicely... ::)
GWwClAg.jpg

Also KTM footpegs were thrown on to replace the ridiculously tiny original pegs. I'll get some pics of those later on.

Tiny update and a pic of the new foot pegs as promised.
XqygXQd.jpg

The metal work is soon over and we can get to cleaning up all the welds, etc. Then some, most likely, tedious eletrical stuff. Need to basically redo all the wiring. Once the thing is running, then disassembly and powder coating can begin. Oh yeah, the wheels need to be laced as well. ???

Are you going to do smth with the place where subframe and tank meet? See the overall sideline of the example bike and see yours. You have a gap there.

That's true! Thats about as low as that tank will go without some serious cutting. I think the XT500 tank that's on the Kiddo Dos might be a bit bigger so it might sit a bit lower and close that gap nicely. It doesn't bother me too much yet, but it might at some point. When it gets to that point I might splurge out on an XT500 aluminum tank... As they say that projects are never complete, this might get a new tank at some point :D It is how it is for the time being.

Im getting some material for the seat tomorrow and we'll see if that helps to even out the proportions a bit.

Really good looking bike! Keep it up! I only have one suggestion, wouldn't It be better if the exhaust was aligned with the line of the subframe? Parallel to the seat line, I think that little detail will complete the bike really good

DH900sl

mekanikki said:
That's true! Thats about as low as that tank will go without some serious cutting. I think the XT500 tank that's on the Kiddo Dos might be a bit bigger so it might sit a bit lower and close that gap nicely. It doesn't bother me too much yet, but it might at some point. When it gets to that point I might splurge out on an XT500 aluminum tank... As they say that projects are never complete, this might get a new tank at some point :D It is how it is for the time being.

Im getting some material for the seat tomorrow and we'll see if that helps to even out the proportions a bit.

having similar issues with my DR600 project.. a "gap"... I'm signing up though. PS: Kiddo are just round the corner from me in Barcelona.

Looks good man, love the beefy subframe.

dualero said:
Really good looking bike! Keep it up! I only have one suggestion, wouldn't It be better if the exhaust was aligned with the line of the subframe? Parallel to the seat line, I think that little detail will complete the bike really good

DH900sl

Thanks! The exhaust will change. We decided to make the whole thing all over from the beginning to the end! 8)

The process is at a bit of a halt right now but new rims should be here soooooon! Can't wait to get them laced up and under the bike!

Rims have arrived!! Nice and black Moose Racing rims. Only bad thing is that work is taking up too much of my time and haven't had a chance to disassemble the wheels yet! Vacation time is just around the corner tho! 8)
RDPh5JG.jpg

As far as the exhaust goes, I'm a bit undecided. Saw this and this might be the way to go...
Mermaid-Dominator.jpg

jsnabbs said:
any more progess?

Unfortunately no! I've been damn lazy and haven't done anything except washed the bike from old grease, etc. Fortunately our riding season is at an end and I can get my ass in gear through the winter with the Dominator.

My friend brought me another tank to see how it'd fit, but it was too long. The shape was better than the Suzuki tank I've had before. Heres a pic from my instagram: http://instagram.com/p/tiLm8hLwKy/

Id try to find something that belongs to small cc bikes (125 for example) or oldschool MX bikes (harder to find i think). They're usually smaller liter wise, ie shorter too :)

Or here's another idea. When i was looking for a tank i googled that there are motorcycle scrapyards in Finland too. Maybe you pay a visit and have a look around?

Back
Top Bottom