New Jersey sr500 tracker/scrambler

Nj732port

Coast to Coast
I picked up my non running 1978 sr500 for 450$. I am planning on getting it in running condition for the end of summer then really tearing into it this winter and turning it into as rambler that me and my girlfriend can cruise around on. I have a few pictures of the bike when I first got it and with new renthal bars I got off eBay for cheap I'll post more ass I progress. The last pic is kinda a inspiration for my build

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 2,951
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 725
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 728
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 737
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 755
First up was cleaning up the carb... Ordered a carb repair kit and it was the wrong one.... Ordered a new one and made my first attempt at cleaning a carb! It was extremely gummed up so I boiled it a few hours and it was good to go after that!

A few hundred kicks later and the thing still won't start, this being my first bike I didn't know wtf the problem was... Eventually I learned how to test my electrical system and found out that my stator was bad... Then I found out how much the fuckin thing cost! :eek: sent my stator off to custom rewind and he had it back to me in a few days what an awesome guy to deal with besides the pricing (260) he sent me back a kick ass looking stator and repaired an extra little piece as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 769
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    929.4 KB · Views: 679
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 656
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 640
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    958.6 KB · Views: 666
dayum !! :-* :-* :-*
you will need to pull all the brass in that carby make sure they are clear thru all holes as well as any passages

xb33bsa said:
dayum !! :-* :-* :-*
you will need to pull all the brass in that carby make sure they are clear thru all holes as well as any passages

I cleaned it up good but I'm gonna have to do it again because it sat for a while until I got the cash for the stator, plus the gas tank rusted on me while it sat so I'm in the process of cleaning that right now...

Haha at least u guys are in my thread! I'll tell her about ur comments in the morning I just finished dremeling a clutch lever to work and strangely enough so far so good gonna have to get some legit levers in the future... Gotta dive into the wires soon all I want is a headlight and the ignition to work off of a toggle switch mounted under the seat

haaa forgot all about this build thread I shud probably update it some time...bikes coming along nicely

Tore down top end sent it off to hoos for a valve job, replaced exhaust valve, put it all back together got a big ass K&N might end up using a UNI brand filter, got a hoos header, cone engineer cone all stainless, vm36 because fuck the old carb, i can't believe the difference in the ease of carb tuning if anyone has an old sr trash that stock carb. I waited too long and I didn't get to tune it perfectly before it got too cold. She looks rough and ugly but I am more focused on getting it functioning and everything where I want it before I start making it pretty.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 499
520 chain conversion,new sprockets stock sizes, dual oil feed, single pull throttle, removed forks but I think I'm going to wait to rebuild them with the new progressive springs and seals so I can powder coat the lowers and not have to buy new seals again. I need to clean up the wiring extend some and shorten others as well as ad in a fuse (panel/box?) so I don't keep blowing out headlights. I'm going to redo the seat brackets I welded in and form the seat pan a little better, I have some nice brown leather for the seat cover but I want a specific shape and pattern and I have no clue how to make it so probably have it made. I'm thinking blue sparkly tank cause that shits pretty and black everything else. there's a bunch more I'll keep posting as I go. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 510
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 502
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 489
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 522
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 506
Million more pics of stuff I've done, bought, my work shop, my big ass 8ft bench.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    890.8 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 494
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 505
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 506
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 500
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    983.7 KB · Views: 507
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    865.3 KB · Views: 483
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    674 KB · Views: 490
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,803
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 498
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 515
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 501
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 488
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 481
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 483
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,302
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    906.2 KB · Views: 504
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    937.1 KB · Views: 510
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    976.7 KB · Views: 514
i think the next major thing I want to get done is the wiring. It's simple but some things need to be cleaned up so nothing is seen. I'm going to Mexico this weekend so I won't be able to get to it until my hang over goes away. My headlight blew out so I'm guessing I need to put some kind of fuse panel in, any suggestions? Also I don't know what gauge wire to use for my harness if someone could let me know that would be awesome.

xb33bsa said:
total fail on the seat the tire hits it needs to be up at least 3 "

Thanks for the input! I'm going to be getting hagon's for the rear but I'm not too sure of the spring rate of length yet I was thinking stock size 13". They do bottom out when I'm riding it around. The seat is a first attempt I think the foam on there can be salvaged with a few more layers of different density foams and the leather that I have for, I'm going to make an attempt and if it comes out shitty I'll get it done by a pro.

Just got back from Mexico so I'll be getting some stuff done once I get acclimated to this cold ass weather!

Back
Top Bottom