New Jersey sr500 tracker/scrambler

You've got to redo that rear frame section. Longer shocks are not the answer.

Theres a billion things that bike needs before a brat seat.

What a great 'Find' on CL ! I'd love to find an SR500
What did you do with your stock SR500 carb.,still got it?

grcamna5 said:
What a great 'Find' on CL ! I'd love to find an SR500
What did you do with your stock SR500 carb.,still got it?

I still have it sitting in a box with all new gaskets/diaphrams, could use a float bowl gasket but it does not leak at all just doesn't look all that nice. you need it? I also have a K&N on it.

DohcBikes said:
You've got to redo that rear frame section. Longer shocks are not the answer.

Theres a billion things that bike needs before a brat seat.

from your point of view what should be done to it? I want to keep the seat long enough to fit my girl, other than that im open to all critiques on the seat or anything else. I just emailed Hagon shocks also so if you have any input on length stock vs. ? id love to have some input on that. don't worry about hurting my feelings or anything like that either...

I really dont see what people dont understand about the fact that the factory seat brace is built in the shape of a trapezoid that rides over the frame rails like a bridge. They all cut it out but none seem to ask why it might be built that way.

My recommendation is to think about that and come up with your own solution. Tire clearance is not a complicated concept. When shocks are at full compression the tire still needs around an inch of clearance after that. You're at least 3 inches short.

The sr500 is best suited for passengers with the stock seat.

This is a serious question, since you said you cannot be offended. I need to ask somebody before I go crazy with this seat bullshit.

What made you think that 2 inches of clearance would be enough? Do you understand ANYTHING about how a motorcycle works? This is actually just common sense, so why cant you look at that setup and immediately know that it is wrong? What makes you think adding a person on the very end of the lever in question wont make things even worse? I mean, I highly doubt you could both even sit on that bike now at rest without the tire touching something, so where is the tire going to go when the suspension cycles?

Yes, that is all one question. No, I do not mean to offend you. To be honest, if you or others are offended by my question, then i am offended by your actions in the first place. There are those of us out here that can do that for you, if you don't know what you are doing. Furthermore, that mistake is by FAR the most common and most talked about mistake here, and I have no fucking clue how anyone could make it without completely ignoring a large amount of the information that is available to them.

You sure, no hurt feelings? Good, then get your head together and build it right. The only way to fail is to give up.

Do you have the rear shocks you will be using?

You cant just slap on some tall shocks to put a band aid on that wound I just opened. It will fuck your geometry up and generally wont even address the clearance issue because travel increases. Not to mention that taller shocks will mess with your countershaft and chain relationship, requiring tons of chain slack to operate.

P.S. I'm pullin for ya so just change the damn back end and move on or you will regret it later

DohcBikes said:
I really dont see what people dont understand about the fact that the factory seat brace is built in the shape of a trapezoid that rides over the frame rails like a bridge. They all cut it out but none seem to ask why it might be built that way.

My recommendation is to think about that and come up with your own solution. Tire clearance is not a complicated concept. When shocks are at full compression the tire still needs around an inch of clearance after that. You're at least 3 inches short.

The sr500 is best suited for passengers with the stock seat.

This is a serious question, since you said you cannot be offended. I need to ask somebody before I go crazy with this seat bullshit.

What made you think that 2 inches of clearance would be enough? Do you understand ANYTHING about how a motorcycle works? This is actually just common sense, so why cant you look at that setup and immediately know that it is wrong? What makes you think adding a person on the very end of the lever in question wont make things even worse? I mean, I highly doubt you could both even sit on that bike now at rest without the tire touching something, so where is the tire going to go when the suspension cycles?

Yes, that is all one question. No, I do not mean to offend you. To be honest, if you or others are offended by my question, then i am offended by your actions in the first place. There are those of us out here that can do that for you, if you don't know what you are doing. Furthermore, that mistake is by FAR the most common and most talked about mistake here, and I have no fucking clue how anyone could make it without completely ignoring a large amount of the information that is available to them.

You sure, no hurt feelings? Good, then get your head together and build it right. The only way to fail is to give up.

Those shocks came with the bike i'm guessing they are stock but they are also shot so that's not helping out the clearance at all, once the seat hoop was welded up i knew i had clearance issues but i figured i would work on other stuff and get back to it later on (now) because i didn't have money for the new shocks anyway. as far as the bracing i have access to a welder and a grinder but i figured the rear circular end of the hoop was similar to the trapezoid thing that i cut off mostly because it has a kicked up angle to it as well as circular...(im guessing not so much now)... moving forward i was thinking of stock size hagon shocks but that wont help out with the clearance because the part that i cut off was angled up to allow plenty of room for suspension travel. most of the other SR's i have seen have shorter seats so it looks like the kicked up part of the hoop allows for the proper clearance..........so i think the answer to your question would be, i threw the hoop on thinking it would just work! now i know that there is a ton of black magic involved in motorcycle modification and i do not know any of it so i am here to learn wtf to do to fix it! and nope still not offended hahaha just happy to be getting input on fixing my problems.

Nj732port said:
Those shocks came with the bike i'm guessing they are stock but they are also shot so that's not helping out the clearance at all,
Actually it probably isnt hurting it either. Just because the shocks look worn doesnt mean the springs are sagging.

Nj732port said:
once the seat hoop was welded up i knew i had clearance issues
You should have known before. You obviously did not study the construction and function of the frame before you got the idea that you had the skill to modify it correctly. It's the ol trying to walk before you learn to crawl idea. You must first understand basic concepts before complicating things.

Nj732port said:
moving forward i was thinking of stock size hagon shocks but that wont help out with the clearance because the part that i cut off was angled up to allow plenty of room for suspension travel.
You need to find a stock sr500 now, and measure the minimum stock clearance at rest. If you don't do the work to find this number I'm not going to continue with any advice. It may seem unneccessary to you or others, but its fundamental to my participation at this point. I do not let people cheat off my test answers, you either learn or you get nothing from me.

Nj732port said:
most of the other SR's i have seen have shorter seats so it looks like the kicked up part of the hoop allows for the proper clearance..........
Who cares. You don't know the first thing about it so looking at pictures tells you nothing. The vast majority of hobby builders will LIE LIE LIE about the issues their bike still has after building it.

Nj732port said:
so i think the answer to your question would be, i threw the hoop on thinking it would just work!
Yes I know.

Nj732port said:
now i know that there is a ton of black magic involved in motorcycle modification
Not really. It's simple to some and confusing to others.

For example, you wont catch me trying to play guitar, or knit a sweater, but some people make it look easy.

Nj732port said:
and nope still not offended
There's still time for that.

Focus on other things. The seat can be done nearly last. You have a lot of other stuff to work on and research.

DohcBikes said:
Actually it probably isnt hurting it either. Just because the shocks look worn doesnt mean the springs are sagging.
You should have known before. You obviously did not study the construction and function of the frame before you got the idea that you had the skill to modify it correctly. It's the ol trying to walk before you learn to crawl idea. You must first understand basic concepts before complicating things.
You need to find a stock sr500 now, and measure the minimum stock clearance at rest. If you don't do the work to find this number I'm not going to continue with any advice. It may seem unneccessary to you or others, but its fundamental to my participation at this point. I do not let people cheat off my test answers, you either learn or you get nothing from me.

Who cares. You don't know the first thing about it so looking at pictures tells you nothing. The vast majority of hobby builders will LIE LIE LIE about the issues their bike still has after building it.
Yes I know.
Not really. It's simple to some and confusing to others.

For example, you wont catch me trying to play guitar, or knit a sweater, but some people make it look easy.
There's still time for that.

Focus on other things. The seat can be done nearly last. You have a lot of other stuff to work on and research.

so am I looking for the clearance between the top of the tire and what ever is above it on a stock sr? wouldn't that be the same as the rear suspension travel? or would rear suspension travel be calculated from full extension to full compression? I still think there is black magic involved, just because you wont admit it doesn't mean its not true...I want to get the seat area done with so I can finalize the placement of the wiring under the seat area. there isn't too much work just gotta start sorting things and making things pretty!

If clearance and travel were the same thing they would be spelled the same.

Yes, as I clearly described, I would like you to know the measurement of the stock clearance at static height. Static means at rest with no rider.

DohcBikes said:
If clearance and travel were the same thing they would be spelled the same.

Yes, as I clearly described, I would like you to know the measurement of the stock clearance at static height. Static means at rest with no rider.

does this number need to be exact? or just pretty damn close? I have the rear subframe that I chopped off laying on my floor somewhere I can match it up to where it used to be and take the measurement...I was thinking maybe maybe clearance and travel were like car and automobile ya know same shit different spellings :p or corn and maize ;D

Nj732port said:
does this number need to be exact? or just pretty damn close? I have the rear subframe that I chopped off laying on my floor somewhere I can match it up to where it used to be and take the measurement...I was thinking maybe maybe clearance and travel were like car and automobile ya know same shit different spellings :p or corn and maize ;D
Yes you can use the old subframe section to determine the measurement.

DohcBikes said:
Yes you can use the old subframe section to determine the measurement.
sick good thing I hung on to that chunk of metal, I'll post the measurement tonight... I wish there were better emojis on here!

I took some pictures for the measurement I also drank some beers before I remembered to take some pictures of the measurement. :-X :-*

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    849 KB · Views: 401
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    960.2 KB · Views: 394
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    960.8 KB · Views: 396
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    949.6 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    897.3 KB · Views: 398
DohcBikes said:
Ok so the fix is obvious now right

I obviously need more clearance but I obviously do not know how to get it... didn't we figure that part out already :eek: ....while searching I found a million people with the same issue but no real responses of how to fix it I did read a response that said longer shocks won't effect too much as long as they are only a couple inches longer. Then I read about spacers to stop the shock from fully compressing and I also saw some stuff about stiffer shocks but I don't want the ride to be terrible so I'd rather not do some drastic stiff shock.

Nj732port said:
I obviously need more clearance but I obviously do not know how to get it... didn't we figure that part out already :eek: ....while searching I found a million people with the same issue but no real responses of how to fix it I did read a response that said longer shocks won't effect too much as long as they are only a couple inches longer. Then I read about spacers to stop the shock from fully compressing and I also saw some stuff about stiffer shocks but I don't want the ride to be terrible so I'd rather not do some drastic stiff shock.
Lift kits are for 4x4 trucks.

You will need to address the incorrect fabrication issue with fabrication.

Back
Top Bottom