Honda CB900C - The Fat Tracker!

Cool project, I love the CB900C. How did you remove the stem from the lower triple clamp?

I sure hope this project hasn't died. If guys can cafe Goldwings and CX/GL V twins then why not a "ten speed"?

The attached picture is from the Yahoo CB900C forum. Unfortunately the owner is no longer active in the group. With just one simple frame mod to drop the seat, he's got a cool silhouette. I don't see the advantage in replacing the shocks with struts and I certainly would keep the dual front disks, but it demonstrates one very cool option.

So whatever you're doing, I hope it includes wrenching on this project. More pictures please!! :)

Attachments

• joshbcofield.jpg
    joshbcofield.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,801
Man, it's tough sometimes. I've got a couple dozen Hondas. Luckily I'm retired now but I also have chronic pain from years of racing as a kid, broke my back and a lot of wear and tear from my working life. But at much as I can, I try to set a goal of doing a hour or two every day. When I was working, sometimes it was only a maybe sneaking in four hours a week, but one way or another I'd set a goal and demand that I do it somehow. And it's amazing how you feel so good just getting that little bit of work done, and even more so when you see that bit by bit, that project is coming together. You've got the worse to this puppy done. The main thing now is reassembly. Think about it. An evening to hang the wiring harness. Leave it all original for now and strip the un-needed stuff later (just in case you decide that having lights might not be such a bad idea). Another evening to hang the main brake hoses & masters (hopefully you'll use new SS ones, rebuild the masters and calipers then everything is new or as new, bleed with DOT5 fluid and you'll never wreck paint.)
You get the idea. It wouldn't take long. You could be riding in a before August is done. Good luck!

;D Excellent !! ;D

PS there's a very active group on Yahoo for the CB900C/CB1000C and also a website called DOHC Customs. Meaning no offense to this awesome site AT ALL, but if you need info specific to the Honda DOHCs, the dual transmission bikes or shaft drives, there's a lot of documented resources and guys with model specific experience. Just look 'em up on Google and you should have no problem finding them.

I'm in as well, I love that d9canada had suggested putting in maybe an hour a day. I try to but may not with 3 kids under 5. They love helping me. I have an 82 Honda CB900C and would love to see yours up and running

Liking that fat ass rear tyre.

Well done on getting on with it, I found my weekly VW club night encouraged me to take a piece to their workshop and work on it, that could be painting stuff, using the bench wirewheel or some other job that meant another job ticked off. Slowly, after spending time during the week as well, the job list got shorter and stuff began to be bolted on for the past time. If the big jobs got me down I'd do something shiny or easy.

My CBX is now on the road and nearing completion, see down there VVV for thread link.

Excellent! Looks awesome! Just a quick question, what year/model wheels are you using - must be CX or maybe Shadow? What sort of gear ratio is the rear? That's really quite interesting because the guys on the Yahoo CB900C/CB1000C group have found that it's pretty much impossible to run a rear fatter than 140 because it will rub on the drive shaft tube. Your rear must be at least 140. Glad to see you're getting her done ;D

fattracker said:
Looks great! MOT passed just in time for winter too ;D

Ha, thanks.
Yeah, just in time.....took it out tonight to the local biker cafe, rained on the way home so nice n wet.

Glad that another bike has been "restarted" on here. Looks solid so far. I've seen many a bike build start out at a hundred miles an hour, only to get halfway done and hit a brick wall. Looking forward to seeing it once it's done.

Back
Top Bottom