Dominator Scrambler Supermoto-ish thing

Modelled up a 12mm spacer to offset the rear sprocket. After that I printed it on my Ultimaker 3D printer.

tumblr_nz3ealutBM1u3nh6do7_1280.jpg

tumblr_nz3ealutBM1u3nh6do3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nz3ealutBM1u3nh6do1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nz3ealutBM1u3nh6do5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nz3ealutBM1u3nh6do2_1280.jpg

It's designed so that the spacer bolts up to the hub and the sprocket bolts up to the spacer. In that way (me thinks) there won't be any excessive strain on the bolts caused by the 12mm offset.

But after talking to the CNC guy (who is into karting) he said most of the force from the sprocket is exerted on the little lip on inside of the sprocket. So I could just use the original 6 bolt pattern and put the spacer in between without any problem.

Any thoughts on this?

He's right. I'm running a 9mm spacer on my cb750 in order to run Kawasaki mags. My spacer is a second Kawasaki sprocket that I machined the outside cogs off of leaving just the center bolt pattern (sprocket width = 9mm). I bolted through both the spacer and sprocket with bolts that are 9mm longer.

actually the force hp/torqe generated is transfered thru the clamping force applied by the bolts the friction enjoyed between the 2 flat surfaces
there is no force on the centering ring the bolts if torqued properly and the surfaces clean are not under shear neather, not unless the friction of clapming is overcome

xb33bsa said:
actually the force hp/torqe generated is transfered thru the clamping force applied by the bolts the friction enjoyed between the 2 flat surfaces
there is no force on the centering ring the bolts if torqued properly and the surfaces clean are not under shear neather, not unless the friction of clapming is overcome
Maybe my situation had more to do with centering then.

This is gonna be rad man!

when I did a front fork conversion I didnt have access to machines so I ended up being able to get it to fit just by finding the correct tapered bearing dimensions - found the ones that made up the difference in diameter and height etc. Don't know if that would be an option for you? You come much further with the project?

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
This is gonna be rad man!

when I did a front fork conversion I didnt have access to machines so I ended up being able to get it to fit just by finding the correct tapered bearing dimensions - found the ones that made up the difference in diameter and height etc. Don't know if that would be an option for you? You come much further with the project?

I eventually found bearings with the correct inner outer diameter. So I just had to make two simple spacers to make up for the longer headstem.

Haven't made much progress on the bike except for taking of the air filter box and emission crap (After I took these pics)

I also got a new tank in the mail:

tumblr_o13jjlYb7M1u3nh6do4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o13jjlYb7M1u3nh6do1_1280.jpg

But I'm not sure I will use it.. I just can't make up my mind :(

A lil update. The new subframe is on. I still need to decide if I'm going to make al loop at the end or not. I also made some foam parts to simulate the parts I'm wanting to buy/make.

tumblr_o2a7g6Fvac1u3nh6do1_1280.jpg

Looking good! Vincent posted a link to your topic on mf, you also study in Delft? I just picked up my domi yesterday, making plans now for a redesign.

In the process of adapting a a CRF rear hub onto my 89 NX650 that had drum brakes.

Do you have pictures that show what type of spacers you have for the original axle to fit? Was the axle spacer inside the hub a part that can be bought as you mentioned its how talon does their fittings?

From one design student to another, this is awesome work! Started a full conversion on my sr500 last year. A lot done but more stuff needs to be sorted. You seem to have the worst stuff sorted thou. Why not make your own tank dummy and covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeroenK said:
Looking good! Vincent posted a link to your topic on mf, you also study in Delft? I just picked up my domi yesterday, making plans now for a redesign.

No I study in Den Haag ;) Make sure to make a build thread!

Eleganten said:
From one design student to another, this is awesome work! Started a full conversion on my sr500 last year. A lot done but more stuff needs to be sorted. You seem to have the worst stuff sorted thou. Why not make your own tank dummy and covers?

Thanks! I did think about that but I decided that for now I would keep it simpler by just buying a tank. Maybe on the next build! making my own carbon fenders is on the list though.

goos said:
In the process of adapting a a CRF rear hub onto my 89 NX650 that had drum brakes.

Do you have pictures that show what type of spacers you have for the original axle to fit? Was the axle spacer inside the hub a part that can be bought as you mentioned its how talon does their fittings?

No the spacer inside the hub is a custom part. But not hard to make on a lathe.

tumblr_nwxntfxMIS1u3nh6do1_540.jpg

Those two parts on the left are the old and new spacers. The left one is the new one.

I have bought a silencer. Now I just need to sort out new headers and make it all fit. All the upcoming parts are big ticket items so progress will be a bit slow..

tumblr_o3zfqtUlPQ1socslxo1_1280.jpg

Also had this fuel cap made by my friend Vincent. It uses the underside of the cap that was supplied with the tank.

tumblr_o44t1hXkiQ1u3nh6do3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o44u0vOA1c1socslxo1_1280.jpg

Been doing a little side project for school with two classmates. We are making a carbon case for camera gear etc.

tumblr_o52rcndtq41u3nh6do3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o52rcndtq41u3nh6do1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o52rcndtq41u3nh6do2_1280.jpg

It's nice practise for producing the fenders and fork protectors later on.

As I obviously didn't finish the Domi before the summer started. I've bought this.. Gotta have something to rip around on.

tumblr_o8pglqcwFB1u3nh6do1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8pia2orVf1u3nh6do3_1280.jpg

Now off to finishing the Domi!

Awesome! What is it?

I have also been very thankful this summer that I at least have one bike in operation. It is very common for me to have 2-3 bikes at once with none of them in operation!

It's a Aprilia Pegaso 650 Strada Factory. Same engine as the Yam XT660X so it should be bullet proof :)

The Domi is currently looking like this:

tumblr_oir8jtM8pW1socslxo3_1280.jpg

In comparison with a real Supermoto:

tumblr_ojy2oqD2kk1socslxo1_1280.jpg

Would you share the dimensions on the stem spacers?
Im also trying to adapt a crf450 front end to my nx650. I had thought you made the new stem you designed, but converting to tapered needle bearings and a spacer seems much easier than having my stem cut down or buying the emig stem.

I read you made two spacers, (i assume one top one bottom) how come not just one one on top? This way the extra length of the forks would be subtracted, potentially giving the bike a closer to stock ride height and marginally less rake angle.

Your bike looks awesome! It's been an inspiration for my own build. I wish we got disc rears here in the US.

Back
Top Bottom