1992 XR600 Scrambler

Canadian

Hi all,

My cb550F caferacer drives great (http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=62970.75)

Now it's time to put my hands on a scrambler so I can ride together with my girlfriend.

°Honda 1992 XR600

°Will drop the front about 12cms (meaning I would open up the forks & cut springs etc as found on youtube) - is this even possible & smart to do ?

°Will drop the center as well - will check for another spring

°Found myself a Italian motorcycle tank last week on a fair, together with some other stuff

Will post pics along the way.

Ordered my seat so next will be cutting the frame & rewelding a whole new subframe.

200v0j8.jpg

Brgds,
Wannes

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/xr650-scrambler-build-in-chicago.947659

This guy lowered his suspension so it is possible en does function pretty good it seems. The thread is worth a read even if you aren't interested in lowering your suspension ;)

Which seat did you order?

I lowered my front fork 4.7 inches. All went fine, easy to do actually.

@ThomPa,

Seat will be done myself.

I will need to lower my rear end approx the same, maybe bit less i'll need to check.

Anyhow, anyone with an idea which monoshock would fit that is lower than standard xr600?

Think with cutting the spring, it won't ride comfortable anymore...

Let me know guys, thx!

Wannes

Hi all,

Fuel taps of this Italian tank were hitting the frame so re-allocated these:

1zgwchc.jpg

Just quick mock up (I know the front forks are in the wrong way):

qwy7q1.jpg

Rear spring should be 3/4 inch higher. Does anyone have an exploded view for XR600 rear spring ?

I should have a rear spring exactly 1" lower than normal xr600 standard, or does anyone know what spring I should need?

Here's a pic during the DGR in Belgium, was just checking for oil leaks ha!

2u6jjub.jpg

Brgds,
Wannes

Hi,

Checked on google and there is a '92 Kawasaki spring with ideal length.

Bought but didn't fit the top, welded the top frame.

2rf38cy.jpg

263v488.jpg

I have begun welding the subframe now.

Restarted on the subframe, wasn't happy.

Got some thicker tube. No rocket science here just bending tubes the old way.

Stuffed it with sand, welded the ends & heatened it in the BBQ.

Should be finished end of this week.

sls003.jpg

Brgds
Wannes

kinda digging it man. Anytime your heating metal up with a charcoal grill and bending it is a good day lol

Been a long time, but been busy.

Finalised welding on the frame. Detachable passenger foot pegs. Headlamp bracket done. Gas tank mounts done.

Front fork been lowered 12 centimeters.

Decided to go for the Honda cb350 tank, way better.

Made a seat pan as well, picture to follow.Well all needs final cleaning in the end.

28dcl.jpg

Brgds
Wannes

Anyone an idea where I can get my hands on some spokes, with ideal length?

XR600 front hub, 19" excel rim ...

Would like to try the lacing myself

Brgds
Wannes

Canadian said:
Anyone an idea where I can get my hands on some spokes, with ideal length?

XR600 front hub, 19" excel rim ...

Would like to try the lacing myself

Brgds
Wannes

these guys are THE name in custom wheel building and custom spokes... http://www.buchananspokes.com/ . they can do what you need for sure. a little spendy, but youll get what you need.

also, still digging the project man, thanks for sharing all the updates

Thanks Hurco!!

Dropped them an email.

Also thinking about an 19" SLR front wheel. Would this be p&p with the axle of the xr600 / calliper?

Just wondering...

Wannes

12631413_1043717665666544_1461766012316382165_n.jpg

Decided to stick with the 21" front for now. seems alright.

Added fender & light.

Next up is front fender. Then all can go out for paint.

Wannes

Update :)

6z63uw.jpg

Struggling with the monoshock. This is from a Kawasaki ZX ... something (quite old). Did the paint & refurbishing but the shock is way too soft.

When I sit on it it easily drops 3 inches giving me almost no clearance with the tyre. Any idea I can get some air in it to harden it ?

Next up will be custom exhaust / seat & tank

Thanks,
Wannes
Regards from Belgium (Europe)

1fasgsxr said:
Have it rebuilt and re-valved for your application

Learned this is the wrong spring.

The Original XR600 shock is perfect however too long, its ass is pointing to the moon.

Does anyone know if an XR400 monoshock is shorter?

Wannes

What about a lowering link for the stock xr600 shock? Looks like this one will bring you down 1.5" from stock, not sure if that's enough,

http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-lower-lowering-link-fits-honda-xr250r-86-95-xr350r-85-xl600r-83-87-xr600r-85-2000-xr650l-93-15

There may be other options that work as well, like the '80's xr250 or 350, just guessing since that lowering link fits a lot of different xr's. Upper mounts might be different.

Back
Top Bottom