CX500 Street Tracker

K

Kamn

I have had this in mind for the past year and a half, but due to other life events it has been a SUPER SLOW build, so here goes.........
It started out as a piece of crap I picked up for $250 and then cleaned up into a rideable bike for a summer
Image1_zpsa8608cdb.jpg

Image_zps918828b6.jpg

But it would feel a little twitchy at highway speed....I hadn't noticed the ever so slightest hump in the spine. So I tore the bike down and tossed the frame. Ended up getting another frame from a dude in NY state for a few coins (actually a whole bike).

So, what I have in mind is Street Tracker CX500

Parts to be used:
1. CX650 Euro pro link swing arm
2. CX650 Euro Wheels
3. 2003 CBR front forks
4. custom tank and seat
and the rest you will see as it happens

These were all things I have hanging around here and the idea was to use as much as I can of the parts in my shop

Wheels
IMG_1058_zps0l5je3yt.jpg

Forks
photo%202_zpstepbmxmn.jpg

Some parts I picked off of fleabay on the cheap
photo%201_zpspovtfmfp.jpg

The part that bugs me the most on a CX is the damn rear section of frame for the shocks and seat, its a pain in the ass to make it look good, so that needs to go
photo%201_zpsnzrcaxdf.jpg

photo%202_zpscjcvm2pp.jpg

photo%203_zpskwnbt6u7.jpg

I have what I need to do a new seat frame but need to get the swing arm in before I get the rear frame section complete

photo%202_zpst4rhwfqa.jpg

The swing arms between the two models vary by the size of pins used to mount it in the frame and bearing sizes, but since the right bearing is in the frame I need to make a pin for the 500 bearing as opposed to 650 bearing

photo%203_zpsgntpdz2a.jpg

remove 650 pin

photo%201_zps83x4una5.jpg

make a 500 pin

photo%202_zpshogtcanl.jpg

now weld it in the swing arm

photo%204_zpsi5cebrut.jpg

left side requires I use the threaded pin from the 500 and make 500 bearing fit in the 650 swing arm

photo%202_zpskoutcnjb.jpg

photo%201_zpsvnr3jqhu.jpg

So machine up a smaller cup to be welded into the swing arm, this way it will accept the 500 bearing
photo%204_zpsjy8y0d8l.jpg

photo%202_zpsa9pu8pi1.jpg

Sorry I don't have pics of the fit up after modifying the swing arm

But I needed to have the CBR forks in place to take a few measurements but didn't want to install the lower bearing and then either mess up the bearing or lower triple getting them off, so I made a spacer that would take the place of the lower bearing for test fitting.....again no pics of the part (I'm really bad with keeping track of things with photos)
But here are the forks temporarily fitted to frame

IMG_1044_zpsxmlqpbqz.jpg

Some parts I picked off of fleabay on the cheap
photo%201_zpspovtfmfp.jpg

[/quote]

ill be here to bother you along the way nice socks and flops ;)

Tune-A-Fish said:
Okay. Already with the lathe FML.

I want to make a steering wheel out of one of those rims

That would be cool but maybe a bus steering wheel considering the size

thanks guys
I can only handle so much messiness then I need it to be clean again

After I built a new work table I lost the space for a bench vise so I had to make something up and this is what I came up with. In the back corner of my little shop I have small table for welding and whatever metal work I need to do, so I decided to do something like a trailer hitch with a receiver and now I can make other attachments to go into it but for now its my spot for my vide, and this was all in a hurry today so my welds aren't show pretty but solid.

My materials
IMG_1060_zps6gbmhvda.jpg

IMG_1061_zps0y9vxisy.jpg

Drill a few holes and weld in some nuts to tighten what ever i insert into place

IMG_1063_zps9rhsqpme.jpg

Weld the pieces together and the receiver to the table

IMG_1064_zpsmzra0gsr.jpg

IMG_1065_zpsyyzdifry.jpg

And Voila!

IMG_1066_zpsbthui5oq.jpg

IMG_1067_zpsmycgkfrq.jpg

More to come this weekend but I couldn't do anything without a vise

60242757.jpg
now do motorcycle things! but really that is a nice set up and idea could do some grinders/buffers on there

Back
Top Bottom