New project: 1980 Yamaha SR250

magazine

Hi all, new member here. I found this forum accidently, as I also found a few pictures, and threads with much more exciting looking SR250s than mine. I am turning a stock SR250 into something a little more exciting at the moment. I'll be updating this thread with pictures hopefully. I look forward to it. Here she is after I brought her home.

Attachments

• Message_1471138059699.jpg
    Message_1471138059699.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 333
Progress

After a few rides, I found out how quick this bike really is, and how much fun it is. But, it needed some problems addressed immediately. One, the handlebars. They are terrible, I couldn't stop laughing while riding with those little bitty ape hangers. I felt like I was sitting in a swing holding on to the ropes. So, I intended to only make a few easy mods, handlebars, grips, and brake pads... but you know how that goes. I may have got carried away a bit. During the tank painting process, after stripping it down, I've found the tank has been extensively repaired in the past. Not only does it have some booboos filled in with filler, but a good portion of the bottom side is JB welded. I'd say maybe 12 sq. inches! Also, it has quite a lot of rust inside the tank. So, I did what I could for now until I can find a tank I like.

Attachments

• 20160826_180441[1].jpg
    20160826_180441[1].jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 364
  • 20160829_204228[1].jpg
    20160829_204228[1].jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 333
I'm going to catch this thread up. A lot of parts came in at once, and I've got the pods installed, new brake pads, handlebars, grips (not sure I like them), fork boots, brake lever, clutch cable, blinkers, tail light assembly, and tank emblems. I also did a quick paint job with some tractor paint through my sprayer in Almond color. I also got my new antique tagged license plate. My first antique plated motorcycle btw. Exciting in and of itself!! I'm waiting on my new brown seat coming from East Asia. It has been about 13 days, and still shows to be in Hangzhou. Haha. Its probably on a boat somewhere, who knows. Could be another couple weeks on that.

A few things to note on the build:
I kind of dig the chrome fenders. I've seen a lot of builds with this model, and that's the first to get cut down and painted. I may want to keep these, maybe raise the front fender up an inch or two after installing some dual sport tires, I don't know. Need ideas.
I also like the stock odometer. I just don't see the point at the moment in upgrading to a new smaller one when the stocker really doesn't have any issues. Most of these original Yamaha parts are superior to the aftermarket in terms of quality you think?

Here's how she sits

Attachments

• 20160831_080727[1].jpg
    20160831_080727[1].jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 392
I bought most of my parts off Ebay and Amazon, and so most parts were extremely cheap. I do seem to like the blinkers, though not very classic looking. I wanted a set with at least 4 star average review, and these were about the only ones. The tail light worked for one ride, and quit. The tail light frame and light cover are of good quality so I installed two new trailer side lights inside the original lens, and removed the old unit, one light for running, and another for the brake light. This should work for a while anyhow, but it definitely isn't going to alert someone behind me quite like the stock assembly.

I'm interested to see where you go with this build. I'm just starting a 1980 SR250 project as well. I hope to get a build thread started in the next couple of days. I had to laugh at your comments about the stock handle bar... My buddy and I were having the same conversation in my garage!

Best of luck!

Seat install coming

My new seat will arrive tomorrow. I am getting ready to start cutting. I am guessing I have to cut the rear cross bar that extends over the steel fender? I want it to sit flat. I am still unsure how it will mount. The pictures I have seen appear to have attachment bolts running through the steel frame tubes. I hope mine lines up that easy. Somehow I think it will not.

I had to hook up the old acid battery and take it for a ridtons see how it runs with the new pod. I was expecting a hard start and some issues with it idling but nothing seems any different. I accelerated to 55 about ten times to make sure. I still would like to richer up the pilot and main jet.

Side note... I can tell the tank is going to be the sore spot with this bike. I have grinding abilities and can weld but horribly I might add. I do not have a 220 in my shop so I don't know how ill get any wielding done. I will have to find a tank that will work.

Attachments

• 20160901_195528.jpg
    20160901_195528.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 364
Good start on an nice project bike (I'd like a small cc single at some point). Keeping it working/riding will allow you to see if any mods actually improve the bike or keep working after the first hours or so haha!

Seat will need some work to fit, but you might be lucky in that respect?

Maybe get to know your local bike shop (not main dealer), perhaps they could do any welding you will need or check out mobile welders in your area?

If you plan to ride this often, you'll need some form of weather protection so working/sensibleish guards are a must have. The main problem with cutting down chromed guards is the raw edge. Cheap plastic guards can be sourced and cut/painted to your liking. Clever use of paint (half colour/half matt black) can disguise the guard's length but give a visual shortening which might work for you?

Thanks Noriders. I think I have reached a point of no return. This bike may not be worth a dime more than what I initially paid for it. Haha. Its fun to get around on. I was looking at buying a second bike. My first is a Goldwing. I need something a little smaller, for short trips to town. I was looking to buy a nice low mileage sportster but this came along cheap. We will see how it works. I've got to do something else with the tank. I'm just not sure yet. Have a great day!

sbruton said:
I'm interested to see where you go with this build. I'm just starting a 1980 SR250 project as well. I hope to get a build thread started in the next couple of days. I had to laugh at your comments about the stock handle bar... My buddy and I were having the same conversation in my garage!

Best of luck!

I think I saw a few pics on google, and figured it would be easy. Ha! yea right. Those guys knew what they were doing and spent a lot of money! plus, pics can be very misleading. This is a small bike. No way around that. I'd like to be able to ride dirt roads, small light trails, and trips to town, so I may do something with the rear rack. It needs to look cool. I wont stop until its there! haha. looong way to go.

Seat installed

Well that was easy. I removed the rear bar and everything lined up with stock hardware. Total game changer for this bike.

Attachments

• Message_1472872157861.jpg
    Message_1472872157861.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 320
The new seat looks really good! Nice work.

One question though... You mentioned that you removed the rear bar...

Do you mean the cross member at the very back near the shock mounts?

If so, do you plan to replace it with another bar or loop?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I may replace it with an loop. This seat is a bit on the small side. The loop may extend a bit farther than I would like.

Few more pics today. :)

Attachments

• 20160903_180457.jpg
    20160903_180457.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 334
  • 20160903_175100.jpg
    20160903_175100.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 20160903_161133.jpg
    20160903_161133.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 308
Bike looks mint man! I love the look of white/ivory with brown/tan :D

We have a tail loop that is easy to install without welding and will give you your strength back in the frame. It also fits with the stock rear guard which is a plus.

One more thing, the tank may look better with one of out tank levelling kits but if you find another tank that fits that would be even cooler!

Seat does look sweet but the rear subframe is a stress member as the top shock mounts attach to it. The rear brace you removed adds strength and rigidity, without it the frame may bend/splay...there's a reason the factory installed it.

Purpose made hoops can be cut down to suit the seat size or look you want. The immediate area looks busy what with the shock mounts and guard mounts all in the same place, but some form of cross brace should be installed. The chopped frame ends look neat, maybe a simple brace under the seat would work?

Thanks Jadus! Its been a fun bike so far. I will have to check out the loop you have, and tank level. I am getting the gearing lined out at the moment. The front sprocket is a 15, rear is a few sizes bigger than stock. Its no wonder it screams at 55. I would like to cruise easy at 55. I ordered a 17 counter sprocket. It is suppose to fit, but I have not read anyone running such a large front sprocket. I'm also looking for some new mirrors that will fit in the stock attachments if possible. These are pretty scratched up, and I am looking at my shoulders when trying to look behind me. Maybe there are some that extend a bit farther out. I wouldn't mind cleaning the frame up some more.

NoRiders said:
Seat does look sweet but the rear subframe is a stress member as the top shock mounts attach to it. The rear brace you removed adds strength and rigidity, without it the frame may bend/splay...there's a reason the factory installed it.

Purpose made hoops can be cut down to suit the seat size or look you want. The immediate area looks busy what with the shock mounts and guard mounts all in the same place, but some form of cross brace should be installed. The chopped frame ends look neat, maybe a simple brace under the seat would work?

I'll have to get a bit creative removing some of the clutter on the frame. The rear brace was easy to get off with a grinder.

Everything is easy with a grinder :D

I'd maybe look at chopping the rear frame from 2" behind the shock mount, clean up the bracing/bracketry and add a 20* kicked up hoop to suit the seat profile and then fab a simple mount for guard and indicators, that'd shorten the guard a touch and clean up the fussy/ugly factory indicator brackets, now exposed as the seat is removed. If there isn't a cross brace already from shock mount to shock mount, I'd weld one in to tie the two points together nice and strong.

I spent a little time today removing more wields with the Ole grinder. :) I may keep the four bolt mounts on the subframe for some custom grab bars or maybe even a set of small saddlebags :-X.

Sure would like a nice long muffler. This old sticker is really loud and a little ugly and scuffed up.

Attachments

• 20160905_170547.jpg
    20160905_170547.jpg
    924.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 20160905_201923.jpg
    20160905_201923.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 289
  • 20160905_170616.jpg
    20160905_170616.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 304
Back
Top Bottom