Brat style '77 CB550

CB550BRAT

Hi, i just joined the forum, Im Mike from Birmingham, England.

Back in january i bought a CB550K3 with the idea to build a brat style bike. The next few posts are previous posts from another forum to bring the build so far up to date.

9th January:

First of all, this is the first bike i've owned and its a big learning experience more than anything for me, i've had numerous cars and I'm currently build a turbo westfield but bikes are something i have never worked on. So please excuse what some may feel are stupid questions.

Today i went and collected a new project. Its a 1977 CB550 K3, it looks like someone has changed the forks to super dream items as well as the wheels. Im hoping to find some good used items, refurbish them and replace them. As can be seen from the pictures, some bits are missing and its not in too good a state but something i thought was suitable to work on.

I went and collected the bike from leominster this afternoon. To pay my wife back for coming with me i had to take her out to dinner so wasn't able to start until we got back (she wasn't pleased).

Here it is before it was put in the garage:
First of all, this is the first bike i've owned and its a big learning experience more than anything for me, i've had numerous cars and I'm currently build a turbo westfield but bikes are something i have never worked on. So please excuse what some may feel are stupid questions.

Today i went and collected a new project. Its a 1977 CB550 K3, it looks like someone has changed the forks to super dream items as well as the wheels. Im hoping to find some good used items, refurbish them and replace them. As can be seen from the pictures, some bits are missing and its not in too good a state but something i thought was suitable to work on.

I went and collected the bike from leominster this afternoon. To pay my wife back for coming with me i had to take her out to dinner so wasn't able to start until we got back (she wasn't pleased).

Here it is before it was put in the garage:

I've removed the seat, tank and exhaust and just had a look at what exactly is missing and what i need to do:

10th January:

I made a little bit of progress this morning. Both wheels are off, the engine is out and i've taken a look at the forks. The chrome seems to be pretty rusty and I'm not a fan of the wheels, so i may see if i can source a set of original forks and spoked wheels.

Before i took the engine out though i wanted to check it turns over as i didnt know what state it was in. The good news was it turned over quite freely. The less pleasing news was when i drained the oil, 2 litres of water came out before the oil.

As you can see from the picture theres a bit of rust on the camshaft and tops of the valves but I'm hoping its still useable. Im planning on a full engine rebuild anyway.

15th January

I made a start on stripping the engine down to try and limit any damage from any water. Tonight I got the head and cylinder removed, so far I'm pretty pleased with what i've seen. The bores look to be pretty good with no visible scoring or lips, so I'm hoping i can use it without a rebore. The only bit of damaged i've found so far is a slight mark on one of the pistons.

January 25th:

I finished off stripping the engine down tonight. The only sign of damage i've found from the water is a small amount of rust on the primary drive gear on the crankshaft. I haven't attempted to clean it up yet but I'm hoping il be able to.

Pistons and top crankcase removed:

February 3rd:

Tonight i got the rear seat frame mocked up in position. I just need to work out a way out finishing off the ends of the frame underneath the hoop.

February 12th:

I spent a few hours on the frame this afternoon and got it finished.

Rear hoop and seat mounts welded in:

February 17th:

I made the aluminium panel for the seat tonight and mounted it to the brackets i welded on the frame. The bolts are only temporary.

February 24th:

I got my crankcases back from being soda blasted and finished cleaning them up. Tonight I put in the replacement primary shaft bearing. I just need to find a replacement oil guide as the one i've got isn't great.

March 1st:

Tonight I got everything in place and checked all gears engage .
It selects all 5 gears and each one seems to select smoothly.

A bit of a gap in progress, June 16th:

The larger bits came back from the powder coaters today. Im really pleased with the finish, its 99% perfect and only cost £96 all in.

I found a prime position to start the build:

The wife didnt have the same opinion on where the build should continue so it was relegated to the garage. (it made it longer than i expected)

25th June:

My tapered steering bearings arrived today so I've now got the yokes installed. I fitted the swingarm during the week. This is how it stands at the moment:

July 15th:

My primary and cam chains came from DS today so tonight I put the crank into the top half of the crankcase. Hopefully during the weekend I can fit the bottom case and get it sealed up.

July 30th:

My oil seal arrived today so I got on with building the engine cases back up.

I got both cases mounted together and the primary installed:

August 9th:

Over the weekend I got the engine bits painted and baked in my home made oven.

I also collected the remainder of the parts from powdercoat

August 11th:

The tyres and new wheel bearing arrived today. I got on with pressing the bearings in so I can take the wheels to be built up at the weekend.

August 21st:
Spent some time over the weekend, getting the forks on and the partially built up engine I'm the frame. I can get on with finishing the engine build off now.

August 26th:

I got my tank back today. Im really pleased, it looks flawless. I fortunate enough to be friends with the paint shop manager at a very large commercial vehicle manufacturer so i got it done as a favour. The colour may not be to some peoples taste but its exactly what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom