www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 2x stroke street tracker - project coming together slowly.  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 2x stroke street tracker - probable project?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2017, 11:06:51 »
On a 2 stroke make sure the crank seals (oil seals that are placed between the engine cases to seal the generator etc.) are fresh.When I do a 2 stroke I ALWAYS do them (cheap insurance).
Split the cases, make sure the crank is in spec, clean, reseal woth fresh crank seals and gaskets and youre golden.

Especially on the generator side of these engines (iŽm speaking of my Yamaha RD engines, which are similar) the crank seals shrink over time and then they crack and start sucking in air and BOOOM you have a hole in youre piston... :D...DO THE CRANK SEALS!

edit:here is a pic of my opened up RD motor, on the end of the crank you see the fresh crank seal!
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 11:11:12 by Ryan Stecken »

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2017, 20:04:10 »
Thanx Ryan, engine arrived today, only one small head fin broken, but another head ordered off ebay.

I plan on stripping the engine and note your mild suggestion that the crank seals may need changing haha! Already I can see the barrel/head studs have been..ahem, worked on.
Looking forward to my first motorcyckle engine strip down :-)

Checked out Higgspeeds 2 smoker X5 exhaust system....bloody wow, I do want one but 450 of our english pounds is a possible budget breaker.....on the other hand, do I really need both kidneys ;-)?

http://www.higgspeed.com/SUZUKI-GT200X5

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2017, 02:20:49 »
Checking in...
Motor teardown should be fun. 2 strokes are nice and easy to pull apart, I have one to coming up soon. +1 on crank seals! They are usually available cheap in sets on eBay for a lot of older 2 stroke Suzuki and Yamahas

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2017, 08:34:32 »
Checking in...
Motor teardown should be fun. 2 strokes are nice and easy to pull apart, I have one to coming up soon. +1 on crank seals! They are usually available cheap in sets on eBay for a lot of older 2 stroke Suzuki and Yamahas

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Yeah, lookin' forward to tearing this one down....Lord knows what I'll find inside haha! Club night tonight so I might make a start :)

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2017, 19:38:04 »
OK, didn't get to work on the engine last week, nor will I this week either :(

I've come to realise this project (Project backburner) will be much much more of a challenge than the CBX and this is why.

Unlike the CBX, almost every major component on this build will need modifying to fit, that includes Suzuki engine in the Honda frame, upside down forks (brand as yet unknown), rear swingarm (possibly a GSX), brakes, wheels, shocks, bars, cables, seat, tank...etc etc a proper bitsa, or Honduki :)

So much thought from me and this is the process as I see it.

I have the frame - check. I have the engine - check...I have in mind wheels but will need the swingarm fitted before the rear wheel can be fitted and sprocket aligned with the gearbox sprocket so I'll know where the engine will sit in the frame.

I have to choose the swingarm carefully as I would like rear drums but alloy wheels, so the swingarm spread can't be too wide as I will need no more than 2.0 wheels with 130 tyres and the twin shocks must align with the Honda top mounts and the swingarm lowers (brackets to be made).

Sooo....lots to think about, nothing is simple, I'll end up buying kit that I can't use and spend a lot more time measuring and having spacers and stuff made.....hmmm!

Is it worth the effort? what will I end up with? will it be worth it? Should I just buy a complete Suzuki 200?

If anyone cares to enlighten me of confirm I'm on the right track that'd be great, cheers Colin

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 20:43:40 »
Piece 34 & 73 of my 1000 jigsaw will arrive early next week.

Anyone recognise the items, believed to be off a lightweight Honda. I deduce the forks are narrow, so maybe something up to 250 perhaps? Swingarm is monoshock...any clues?

Coming along  ;D

Offline NoRiders

Re: 2x stroke street tracker - project coming together slowly.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 17:34:02 »
Righto....bit of a swerve from the original plans...nothing drastic, just a change of wheel choice as I was offered a abrgin and quite liked these in place of the GSX alloys, gentlemen I give you Honda NSR 17" 6xspoke alloys :)

I plan to have them media blasted and powdered, possibly white or silver.

Also in the image is a pair of chinese forks in great working condition inc both yokes, they're single disc and leading axle, just what I wanted.

Bars are a nice shape, wide enough and will look painted with an alloy billet brace bar. I plan to keep the bars simple, minimal controls etc.

The swingarm is a double bargin Suzuki (so the vendor said?) alloy twin shock (drum brake so mods required) and will need the pivot width shortening 5mm each side. Shouldn't be a major issue I hope?

Bates headlamp with red light indicator will sit nicely I reckon.

All in all, another great day at Kempton Park Bike Jumble today.

Guess what I paid for the lot...

Oh, and here's a quick mock up with the other set of forks and swingarm (both of which I will not use now). Not much left to do tbh ;)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 18:29:11 by NoRiders »

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 16:06:09 »
When you decide not to go drag racing but spend time tinkering, ready for a London bike event next Saturday  ;)

I fixed a few jobs:

Weeping petcock - new fibre washer
New fuel filter - old one had loose pipe connection...yikes!!
Oil topped up - not ready for a change just yet.
Clutch cable adjusted
Two plugs changed for new. Two are uber tight and don't feel right putting any force on the socket....hmmm? (Not chancing it before the event)

Fitted the side panel number roundel and decals. They're to be detailed...more anon ;)

Firmed up the numberplate fitting, nice n solid now.
Lowered the headlight circa 40-50mm, liking the lowered look, ready for a new feature...;)

Quick road test coming up.

Thanks for checking in

Offline hillsy

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 01:37:52 »

The swingarm is a double bargin Suzuki (so the vendor said?) alloy twin shock (drum brake so mods required) and will need the pivot width shortening 5mm each side. Shouldn't be a major issue I hope?

Yes that swingarm looks like the 1100 Suzuki GS swingarm from the early 80's. They were disc brake, so not sure what you mean by "mods required" if you are planning to use the NSR rims.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 04:59:53 »

Yes that swingarm looks like the 1100 Suzuki GS swingarm from the early 80's. They were disc brake, so not sure what you mean by "mods required" if you are planning to use the NSR rims.

Ah, thank you hillsy. I was meaning an axle mounted caliper bracket stop block/retainer near the axle mount as there is a drum brace bracket mount along towards the pivot end. Unless that's a caliper brace mount??

Now I know the model I can take a peek at how it's set up. - Update: I see how the brace bar is mounted now. I reckon I can make it work with a custom bar and an NSR caliper & axle bracket. Cool.

I think it'll look ace with the fat NSR wheel and chunky tyre wedged in there :)

The reality of building a bitsa is hitting home though  :-\
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:36:27 by NoRiders »