CB550 Bobber-Junkyard Dog

CCRider said:
I'm kinda diggin' the headlight hanging out way in front.
Me to...... but it needs to be BIGGER ;) then it will look like a train is coming down the road :)

I really want to test ride the damn thing a little so the light may get mounted that way for now.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I think I found a better tank

Attachments

• IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 261
As much as I like the smoothed look of the frame I think some of that’s gonna have to get sanded off so I can find a good spot to put tank mounts.

john83 said:
As much as I like the smoothed look of the frame I think some of that’s gonna have to get sanded off so I can find a good spot to put tank mounts.

Be a shame.... could you do something like the coil mounts on the down tubes?
stance looks good but if mine Id lift the rear of the tank a tad...but thats me and everyone around here says I have bad taste :D

I had a feeling it would work out. Glad the reality lived up to my mental image.

Been putting in a little work. Mounted the new tank. The stock mounts on the new tank were too long so I cut them and drilled a 1/4 hole in each one. I drilled a hole through the frame, ran a tube through it. A piece of 1/4-28 threaded rod then slides through the tank mount and the frame. An acorn nut on either side keeps it secure. I cut down the rear mount tab on the tank and drilled a hole that fits over what was the forward seat mount stud. I’ll have to drill another hole and relocate the seat hinge just a little aft.

I cut down my headlight ears. They aren’t perfect but they’ll work for now. I stuck the gauge on the tree opposite of the choke cable. I don’t really like it being off center, there was just a convenient mount hole for the moment.

I still need a front brake hose and then I think I can give it a test ride. It’s 10 days until the Meltdown in Hendersonville. Between now and then I need to finish up odds and ends, strip it, clean it and throw some paint on it. Sprint to the finish!

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 249
Burned some midnight oil last night. Took her apart to paint. It’s just gonna be a quickie paint job for now because I want to ride. Found a blue with a little metal flake in it for the tank, the frame will be black. It’s always a wrestling match getting the engine out of the frame on my own but I got that out. Smoothed our the bondo on the frame. Tomorrow I prep that for paint.

Attachments

• 57768141960__AA13BD67-FAE5-42B8-85D3-A0A8FDC8A946.JPG
    57768141960__AA13BD67-FAE5-42B8-85D3-A0A8FDC8A946.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 247
Maritime said:
Nice. Duplicolor? I used the metal flake on my GL. It really pops once you clear it.
It is duplicolor. I had to go look at the can. I didn’t pay attention to brand when I bought it. I just saw a color I liked with metal flake in it.

Got the engine back in the frame last night. That always seems to take a lot more wrestling than I’m prepared for. Sprayed a some clear on the tank and fender. I’m actually pretty happy with how they came out.

I painted the fork legs last night and left them to dry. This evening I should be able to put it all back together. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 237
Back
Top Bottom