New Condo, New Garage

Finnigan

Over 1,000 Posts
Been posting for a while now, built up a cb360 and K100. In the middle of escrow on my first home purchase I came across my all time favorite bike, a sweet little cb450 for a great price. Before tearing her down I wanted a garage/workshop that would be fitting of the project. Here's what the place looked like the day I moved in.

Attachments

• IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 243
I remember the most difficult thing about my last projects was space and visibility. I wanted a shop light that would rival the sun so I sprung for a Big Ass shop light: a 122 Watt, 13,000 lumen LED based overhead light that was guaranteed for a long time and wouldn't up my electric bill or the temp in the garage. The claims were overshadowed by the sheer awesomeness of seeing it in person, the pictures hardly do it justice.

Attachments

• IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2969.jpg
    IMG_2969.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 216
The floors didn't look like they'd been used for a car, no really bad stains or grease spots. I thought it would be a good idea to redo the floors in an epoxy stain. Washing, degreasing, etching, washing again for preparation of the epoxy was a huge pain but hopefully the prep will pay off with longevity.

Attachments

• IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 217
I chose a DIY floor coating because the lowest quote I got for a 1 car garage was $1600, yea screw you too California companies. Went with this Rustoleum epoxy with a brown color additive.

Attachments

• epoxy shield.jpg
    epoxy shield.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 546
The application was a little stinky but a lot of fun to put on, used a roller with a plastic bag over the top as per the instructions. It was super easy to work with and the more 'fun' I had with application the better the finish came out. It had a pot live of 90 minutes but I finished in about 40. Should be ready to walk on in 10 hours according to the box. Notice how the bike had to sit halfway in the door when it was drying :)

Attachments

• IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 201
https://store.bigasssolutions.com/lights/shop-led.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shop&utm_campaign=ggl-shop&creative=%7Bcreative%7D&matchtype=%7Bmatchtype%7D&keyword=%7Bkeyword%7D&device=%7Bdevice%7D&gclid=CJCBxPOHq8QCFYqEfgod74cAfQ

The price is a lot up front, but when I looked around for multiple low powered units it turned out to be more. This is also a plug in solution.

Painted this wall tonight, ordered stuff to organize tools and am debating building a few cabinets or buying a couple small ones for up high

Attachments

• IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
Nice spot for tinkerin man... The LED will do for the big show, however you will find the light just wont get down to the work as nice as you will want "all" the time, look for two 48" T5 lights (Lows Home Depot) with 5000K lamps to flank the LED and mount 18-24" off the wall using the wall as a reflector, the light will literally dig in from above and behind you to illuminate your work much better. The 28W T5 is low cost to operate and heat is no issue, in fact the LED driver produces way more.

I manufacture lights and look at lumen output every day and yes led's are brighter but if you use a meter the light at 6' is greater than fluorescent but by the time you get to 10' the fluorescent is killing the led in FC or lumens per watt... lighting is 99% perception and while LED is great for commercial its giving headaches to the people in office environments due to glare and we are all working as fast as we can to kill the glare.

Nice organizer board, if those smaller hangers start to bug you by falling out... get the small squeeze tube of construction adhesive and glue em then sharpie the glue black again if you can see it at all.

Won't be long and this will be a stuffed to the gills work shop like the rest of us haha!

Nice- the floor looks better than my brother's industrial loft ( and that tool assortment is out of this world bad ass ! ;D )

Tune-A-Fish said:
Nice organizer board, if those smaller hangers start to bug you by falling out... get the small squeeze tube of construction adhesive and glue em then sharpie the glue black again if you can see it at all.

Won't be long and this will be a stuffed to the gills work shop like the rest of us haha!

Thats a good idea, the hanger kit came with little black plastic inserts to hold the hooks on the board but they don't work very well..

Think I got the setup to start tearing down the bike now. Thought about hanging more cabinets but I'll only add more when I NEED it.

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
Back
Top Bottom