Get a Load of this Intake

AlphaDogChoppers

Science is true whether you believe in it or not.
Saw this on facebook. I don't know if he is on this forum or not, but I found his approach to problem solving pretty unique. He built this longer intake for his bike because after installing clubman bars, his throttle cable was too long.

Seriously?

intakemanifold.jpg

looks bad ass

but it's so easy to just shorten cables ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzARBO7Zcnc&noredirect=1

I wonder what convinced him that making a longer intake was the solution.

I also wonder how may throttle cables he messed up before coming to that conclusion.

Longer distance for the mixture to travel. Less atomized mixture and a darn good chance that the valve will close before most of it is sucked in. This will in turn send the mixture back towards the carb causing a loss in intake speed for the next lot of mixture.

If it is measured correctly for a certain RPM it can be used to suck more mixture into the chamber. Great for drag bikes running at a certain RPM most of the time. For street though, I am sure that the bike would have been designed to have the most appropriate length for usable power.

Just my 2c.

I'm with brodie! Some engine tuners even make the travel tube shorter... Not longer... Might even give some timing problem... Bad idea.

I plan on going a bit longer on mine, but I'm running a pretty hot cam and facing some reversion issues at lower RPM.

Sonreir said:
I plan on going a bit longer on mine, but I'm running a pretty hot cam and facing some reversion issues at lower RPM.

But you know that, looks like other dude has no clue ;D

I can't wait until he installs rearsets and then has to extend the swingarm to make the brake rod work ::)

Judging from the picture he's still running mid controls. Kinda looks like he knew is going to be bouncing off the carb now too. Then again what are the good modifcations with out the bad modifcations?

DrJ said:
So exactly how does that long intake affect performance?
It is a terrible idea and the person will be battling jetting issues they may never be able to solve and this and making less power and have less lower throttle response.

You can run an lengthened intake tube to a degree but that is probably 3 to 4 times the acceptable max length. Also it looks sloped to the engine which means fuel pooling in the cylinders which means gas in your lower end which means inevitable engine failure.

It's also a safety issue. With fuel pooling that long in a metal tube right by your leg. Need I say anymore?

If someone had to do this because of too long of a throttle cable and they couldn't fix that they have no business building bikes what so ever and are a danger to the public.

This is actually worse than that guy with the cx500 with not enough room for suspension travel where the front tire was going eventually hit the engine.

a put a huffer on it

you MAY have some throttle lag but that will fix it right up

This guy may not be a total loss.

After I pretty much made fun of him on facebook, he friended me, and is asking questions. So, he DOES want to learn. He was using some sort of automotive calculators, but he put in some really bad data. He entered 348 for the displacement. That was CC of course, but the calculator was in cubic inches. :-D

The calculator also wanted cross-sectional area of the intake manifold, and he entered its volume.

Well that is great, someone who didn't get butt hurt and wants to learn. Good for him and you for teaching him after.

Brodie said:
Longer distance for the mixture to travel. Less atomized mixture and a darn good chance that the valve will close before most of it is sucked in. This will in turn send the mixture back towards the carb causing a loss in intake speed for the next lot of mixture.

If it is measured correctly for a certain RPM it can be used to suck more mixture into the chamber. Great for drag bikes running at a certain RPM most of the time. For street though, I am sure that the bike would have been designed to have the most appropriate length for usable power.

Just my 2c.

You mean like the long ram induction on the old Mopar 413 Max Wedge engines? The crabs were over the valve covers feeding the cylinder bank on the opposite side of the engine. The key was that the runners were "tuned."

There is a bit of a difference between "runners" Pre and Post carb. Pre is easier a bit more forgiving to tune than post.
A Pre carb "runner" is the likes of a velocity stack.

As for a Mopar 413 Engine, I have no bloody idea, I am an Aussie.

i had a Trojan 33 foot cabin cruiser with a pair of those chrysler 413 s in it

they just cared that you gave them lots to drink lol

but it had a single four barrel

Back
Top Bottom