Fab'ing knee pad brackets

Swapmeet Louie

Put some metal in yer eye....
I'm not sure if anybody has posted on this yet....? I'm sure there is already a tech on this. But, this is how I went about it. Super easy!

here is the tank that is getting factory style pads. CB400 tank... I know, not the most exotic of tanks. which is why it need something extra.
bW1jMi9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQSgxKS9TU1BYMDE2MC5qcGc.jpg

I used tracing paper to make a template for my metal. then traced the tracing paper onto my sheet metal. and cut them out using a 4" angle grinder. I have a body saw. But, I didnt want to use tool that not everybody might have. After they were cut out, I put a flap-disc on the 4" grinder to fine tune them.
bW1jMi9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQSgxKS9TU1BYMDE2MS5qcGc.jpg

After cutting and shaping them, I drilled 5 holes in each. This is where they will be tacked to the tank.
bW1jMi9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQSgxKS9TU1BYMDE2Mi5qcGc.jpg

Then I soltted the edges (about 3/8" deep) all the way around about 1 1/2" apart. Make sure you have a slit in the center of each corner. This will make it way easier to get your pad over the corners later.
bW1jMi9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQSgxKS9TU1BYMDE2My5qcGc.jpg

Then I bent the tabs in just a little. maybe a 1/4". this makes the plate temporarily smaller. So we are abble to slip the pad over the plate after it is tacked to the tank
bW1jMi9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQSgxKS9TU1BYMDE2NC5qcGc.jpg

tacked to tank
bW1jMi9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQSgxKS9TU1BYMDE2NS5qcGc.jpg

Now simply slip the pad over plate and use a body or other lightweight hammer to tap around the edges of the pad. This will make the pad re-expand and cinch the pad down. and there ya have it! Yer done....
bW1jMi9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQSgxKS9TU1BYMDE2Ny5qcGc.jpg

bW1jMi9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQSgyKS9TU1BYMDAxOS5qcGc.jpg

Louis

Possibly newb question... Is there somewhere that sells these pads new? or are they kind of a use what you find type thing?

Back
Top Bottom