Another 750 Four.

I had no intention on dragging this project out for nearly 2 years, but life happens. We ended up moving, and our new garage is more of a storage shed, so it put me behind. Thankfully, I was able to send it to a friend's house where we were able to get it to where she stands today. Essentially complete, minus a few odds and ends to make it road legal. Ran into an issue with a faulty R/R, but she runs beautifully. Hoping to have her on the road within a couple of weeks, because I hear December is the best time to start riding :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_3454.JPG
    IMG_3454.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 722
Ok folks, I need your help with this one. I was embarking on my maiden voyage (riding it home) when I began getting a distinct "flapping" from inside the engine. By the time I was able to pull over, it was too far gone and had seized. Now I'm in the process of trying to determine what may have caused the engine to dry up. I had noticed the oil light at the same time the flapping began, so I am under the impression that the engine stopped getting oil. I am using the oil can from cognitomoto, and I'm trying to determine if that may have been the fault. When I opened the cap to ensure there was oil in the can, I noticed that the oil was smoking a bit. I'm assuming that's not normal.

Any thoughts?
She ran great for about 10 miles. ::)

Attachments

• IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 737
First thing I would do is make for damn certain the thing is locked up. Could be something as simple as clutch or gear or cam chain related. If your oil bag was smoking, then I would think it was at least circulating through a hot motor. You sure it was smoke and not steam? Start at the top and work your way down. It's a pretty bike and the motor looks fresh.

irk miller said:
First thing I would do is make for damn certain the thing is locked up.....

I would start by pulling the spark plugs and while they are out, how do they look. Then I'd remove the valve covers to see if the valves are all where they are supposed to be.

Next I would remove the points cover and see if the crank can be turned in either direction. Normally a motor should not be rotated backwards, but as long as you are just determining IF it can rotate, no harm should be done.

If the crank will not rotate even a little, I'd pull the motor and strip and inspect it. Loss of oil pressure suggests a spun bearing shell or an oil pump that failed to pump and that could be blocked oilways or a failed pump or pressure relief valve. It could be as simple as a blocked oil screen that caused the failure.

If pressure dropped and bike did seize, you are looking at a replacement crank if smaller shells are not available, plus replacement of any other internal damage.

In the thread you mentioned that the motor was going out to be rebuilt but no mention of what was done. Was it just an external clean and paint or was it stripped and rebuilt?

when you reinstalled the motor did you "prime" the oil system by pulling the

plugs and cranking the motor a bit at a time till the oil light went out ?

or did you just start it?

how long did the motor sit dry before it was started

Lots of questions, lots of instructions, bike looks great.

Hope it's something simple, good luck.

Did you ever get anything figured out with this? When you said flapping I immediately thought cam chain. Hope you got it sorted out, bike sure is pretty

Back
Top Bottom