Cb360 not running on left cylinder woes

dantyler92

So my bike is 76 cb360. The other day my bike died at a stop light on me. I noticed I wasn't getting spark on my left cylinder so I chalked it up to a dead plug and limped home. Once I replaced the plug and there is good spark on both sides but still not running on the left. It does sputter every once in awhile but nothing more then that.

So far I have cleaned the jets out and bench synced but nothing has changed.
I have done the cam chain adjustments and set valve clearances, going to check ignition timing tonight.

I am still pretty new to working on bikes, anything obvious I have over looked?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The dead plug was black I believe, it was about a week and a half ago so not positive. I don't know how to check compression but it hasn't been an issue to this point.

I didn't notice the wires or points touching the cover. I used a test light and the left side was firing late, but my battery died while I was trying to set it. Bringing it in to auto zone in the morning to charge it up

Grab a multimeter and test the coil in question. Resistance between ground and plug wire lead should be around 15k and between the two wire leads should be between 3-5k.

Leaving the key in the "on" position for an extended amount of time while the engine is not running can burn out coils, ask me how I know

A weak battery can cause misfiring on a single cylinder. Get that battery charged up and go through the charging system.

alzcbz said:
A weak battery can cause misfiring on a single cylinder. Get that battery charged up and go through the charging system.

Yup. No matter what the internet will tell you, the Honda twins need a strong and fully charged battery. Losing one cylinder is often times a result of not having just that. It's also just about the easiest thing to check out, so a great starting point. If you KNOW the battery is solid and charging correctly, then you can start moving down the line.

As a point of reference, a fully charged battery is 12.6v or above:

12.6v = 100%
12.4v = 75%
12.2v = 50%
12.0v = 25%
anything 11.9v or below is discharged.

I just reread the top post. Ignore my earlier comment, I thought you weren't getting spark on the left side.

Anyways...do a vacuum sync. The throttle plate linkage was bent out of whack on my 360 and the tiniest bit out of adjustment caused the throttle plate on one side to close and not fire.

The reason I posted the questions I did.

If timing is advanced it could burn a valve or hole the piston. (Please correct me if I got that backwards) Or a valve isn't closing after adjustment.
So no compression.

The plug fouled black due to being rich...typical 360 issue.

Hold thumb over plug hole and hit starter. If you can stop air on compression stroke. Test compression w a gauge.

Autozone will probably put it on a fast charge and cause more problems.
Battery should last more than long enough to set timing although it may be a good idea to disconnect headlight if you can't turn it off

dantyler92 said:
I didn't notice the wires or points touching the cover. I used a test light and the left side was firing late, but my battery died while I was trying to set it. Bringing it in to auto zone in the morning to charge it up

Hey all, I apologize for leaving this for so long, I ended up having to leave town for awhile so I just ended up bringing it to a shop before I left. I told them I thought it was the points and sure enough that's all it was. I really appreciate you all for your responses!

Back
Top Bottom