KZ 400 Kawakazi Almost Finished!!!

Re: KZ 400 Kawakazi

1.5 seems to be the norm for those, and is the 35 pilot stock then? You may need to richen the pilot to go with the extra amount of air you are getting... ???

MotorbikeBruno said:
1.5 seems to be the norm for those, and is the 35 pilot stock then? You may need to richen the pilot to go with the extra amount of air you are getting... ???

Thanks i will try that. Hope i can find them online.

Got couple things figured out over the weekend. Most importantly the new break caliper from Ninja is on.
IMG_1922.jpg

Ninja MC and shorty levers work pretty good as well.
IMG_1923.jpg

The seat is back from the upholstery.
IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

And here is how she currently stands.
IMG_1920.jpg

Next is to get the carbs in order and take her for a ride.

That seat looks great. Well done! Any news on richening the pilot circuit, should be able to go 1 turn in or out (can't remember which) to see if that makes a difference.

What are the details of running the EX250 caliper on your original forks? What type of mounting bracket/adapter did you come up with? Did you just use the whole system from MC to caliper? Or did you just replace the components at each end?

Sorry for all the questions, just really interested.

Bike looks great - I love the colors!

diggerdanh said:
What are the details of running the EX250 caliper on your original forks? What type of mounting bracket/adapter did you come up with? Did you just use the whole system from MC to caliper? Or did you just replace the components at each end?

Sorry for all the questions, just really interested.

Bike looks great - I love the colors!

At first i tried using the stock caliper with ninja MC and it just didn't produce enough pressure for the stock single piston caliper. Then i ordered the ninja caliper and hose combo for $18 and basically its the whole system. To install the ninja caliper i had to rotate the wheel and the fork to the right side and i fabricated a bracket out of 1/8 thick steel for it to fit. Not sure yet how this will perform, but here's how the bracket looks. Also the ninja hose line is very short and if my forks were another inch longer it wouldn't reach.
caliper_braket.jpg

Just did my first test drive. Still needs tweaking, but what a feeling you get after all the work putting it together being able to actually ride it! : )
Currently one side runs rich and another runs lean. Also left carb leaks fuel from the drain plug when its set on prime. Is the float level to high?

Not necessarily. I didn't check back through your thread, but if they aren't new float valves/needles, polish them out with Brasso and a q-tip and they will seat better. And on the KZ's, they had the same problem as the Honda CB900's (that whole line of "custom" bikes 750's,900's, 1000's) Make sure your float bowl breather tube isn't cracked. 2 of the 4 on my KZ550 were cracked. I cleaned and rebuilt, then checked dimensions on those damn things 50 times before I found a couple of hairline cracks. Soldered them up and they work great now. Might be your issue if it's not the floats.

MotorbikeBruno said:
Not necessarily. I didn't check back through your thread, but if they aren't new float valves/needles, polish them out with Brasso and a q-tip and they will seat better. And on the KZ's, they had the same problem as the Honda CB900's (that whole line of "custom" bikes 750's,900's, 1000's) Make sure your float bowl breather tube isn't cracked. 2 of the 4 on my KZ550 were cracked. I cleaned and rebuilt, then checked dimensions on those damn things 50 times before I found a couple of hairline cracks. Soldered them up and they work great now. Might be your issue if it's not the floats.
Thanks. I am gonna take them apart again and check it all out. Today it didn't even start for me. I wonder what was different last night.

Looks even better out in the sunlight. I love it. Nice job on the color choices, I never would have thought to go with white grips or a while headlamp cover, but as an accent color it looks great. I love the tank design too, very CRD-esque. And the tires look the business.

Nice ride I like it. I run a kz 400 77 too. I want some tires like that and that blue paint is tremendously awesome.

RIDE HARD
RIDE FAST
RIDE LOUD

Back
Top Bottom