A CB360 Tracker Rookie build

wixil said:
I got aggravated last weekend due to a wiring mishap. I rigged everything back up with the carbs on the bike in attempt some fire breathing. Smoke caming pouring out of the rectifier because I did something really stupid. In my head I had everything as was on the previous ignition test. I won't go into to too much detail other than I was trying to rush it while the lady was off at work. I was defeated for the attempt, so I packed it up for the weekend and got back to doing honey-dos. I couldn't leave it alone, so I put it all back together after work today, immediately catching my mistake from before. It was both a eureka moment and a realization that I can be an idiot sometimes. I robbed a plug wire and the battery off my 750, squirted in some go juice and whammy!

I have no idea how to embed this correctly, so I'll just post a link.

http://youtu.be/mf_a2HgK3LU

I'm not calling this a total win since I didn't keep it running, but I feel a little better about the state of things. I know I'm going to have to pull the clutch plates still, and there's plenty of parts to acquire and fabricate.

One up indeed.

I'll catch up soon hopefully. Been collecting funds for a big bulk purchase to save on shipping. Then the build will commence.

I've mocked up the new fork tins, and in the meantime found my left fork lower and/or internals are all jacked up. Once I removed the wheel and axle, the lower just fell to the ground with nothing holding it in place. Whoops. That's not supposed to happen. More investigation needed.

If the 350 forks are made like the 750's, then there should be a bolt up through the bottom of the fork lower. Any signs of such?

wixil said:
If the 350 forks are made like the 750's, then there should be a bolt up through the bottom of the fork lower. Any signs of such?

There's definitely some stuff in there, but not sure what's happened yet. I was hell bent on mocking up the fork tins, so just skipped the CSI marathon for a later date.

I ordered an SLA battery last week to save space and weight. Since I'm going kick only on this little guy, I got a UB 1220. I had thought I picked up a 2.2 amp, but I think the 2 amp will be fine. I'm only going to run a headlight and taillight/brake light. This little battery looks a little like a VHS tape in size. I think the measurements are close to 6" x .75" X 3.5". After having a few cold ones with Captain Awesome, I talked myself into rewiring the bike from scratch. What's left of the stock harness I modified for this one is pretty ugly, and I'd hate to run into issues far from home because of 35 year old wiring.

UB1220-TLG.jpg

I also snagged some CL350 bars and a sheet metal seat pan from the previous iteration of this bike. I'll get a fire under my ass pretty soon, and I'll post a barrage of pics from the progress that ensues.

wixil said:
I ordered an SLA battery last week to save space and weight. Since I'm going kick only on this little guy, I got a UB 1220. I had thought I picked up a 2.2 amp, but I think the 2 amp will be fine. I'm only going to run a headlight and taillight/brake light. This little battery looks a little like a VHS tape in size. I think the measurements are close to 6" x .75" X 3.5". After having a few cold ones with Captain Awesome, I talked myself into rewiring the bike from scratch. What's left of the stock harness I modified for this one is pretty ugly, and I'd hate to run into issues far from home because of 35 year old wiring.

UB1220-TLG.jpg

I also snagged some CL350 bars and a sheet metal seat pan from the previous iteration of this bike. I'll get a fire under my ass pretty soon, and I'll post a barrage of pics from the progress that ensues.

You should toss the battery and just use a cassette tape. I think it would be more beneficial.

I'll have to see if I can find my old tape collection. I should hide the battery in an old hard tape case.

I've been moving at a snail's pace on this thing. I decided to rewire the bike from scratch, and I keep doing and undoing what I've done so far. I bent up a little tray for the battery and fuse block to sit in under the seat to keep things tidy, but I'm not happy with it. My metal fab skills are severely lacking. I'm on version 3 currently, and it's still ugly. Thankfully, I started with some scrap license plates I had laying around, but it's been a spirit killer. I don't have a welder at my disposal, so I'll probably just clean it up a little, paint it, and call it good enough for the girls I run with... I hate having an idea I can't make a reality.

Wish you were closer, I could help you with all the fab and wiring. What all do you need to do? Maybe you can trailer it up here and do a full day thrashing on it and get the major stuff done?

My wiring hold up is the battery tray really. I have most of what I need to string it together. I may have scored some stock air cleaners in a deal with the foot peg bar for your 350. I'm waiting on picking up that lot of goodies to steer my battery box shape. I'll post a shot of the setup as is shortly.

Here's the jist of it. Since I'm working on a shoe string budge with limited tools, I used some reasonably thin sheet metal. I don't have the tools to bend thick stuff. It's pretty ugly, but it could work. The bends are a little sloppier than I'd like, but it ain't gonna be a show queen. The mounting holes are offset for a reason. The back holes will grab the stock air cleaner mounts, and the front are for some strap mounts I picked up. I left some extra length and angled it up to deflect the future rooster tails I expect to sling.

IMG_20111011_183451.jpg

Here's the battery and fuse bus set in for size comparison...
IMG_20111011_183618.jpg

And I took a quick shot holding it up to the mounts
IMG_20111011_183525.jpg

Just did something really similar for my CB175. Tried to keep it pretty minimal, and once it's painted black, hopefully it will be less noticeable. Yours looks better than mine. ;D

I have some spare air filters now, just not the housings that enclose them. Probably doesn't help much though.

Oh, the rectifier I gave you should work fine. Plugged one into the recently acquired 360 and it's working great.

Your box doesn't look as bad as you described. I'd run it. Love those style fuse panels since you only need one power input that feeds all the fuses and you can decide the outgoing destination. Definitely cleans things up a bit. Just make sure that your reg/rec positive goes directly to the battery and not to the fuse junction otherwise your bike won't want to shut off when the key is in the off position. Done that a couple times.

I've been talking with a local machinist, Mark, off and on about the scramble, and I think I've convinced him to join in on the fun. He's got some tonnage of vintage bikes and parts and projects going. I stopped by last night to snag a few parts for the build and a snapped a few picks of his CB350 project. It'll most likely be his scramble bike, but he did say if he had enough time after finishing it that he might throw a BSA or Triumph together from his parts collection. He hooked me up with a few fenders, a taillight, and some air boxes off a 350. All the parts are in remarkably good shape. I also got a foot peg bar for Captain Awesome in the lot.

Excuse the cellphone quality of the pics.

The goodies I snagged.
IMG_20111014_072058.jpg

A few shots of Mark's CB350

IMG_20111013_194332.jpg

IMG_20111013_194226.jpg

Sorry I flaked out last night and forgot to call you back.

What's the scoop on the front fender?

I have some air filters for your 360, not sure if they are different or not though and I don't have the black outer casings just the filters. There yours if you need them. Also, what stock parts are you lacking since I have double parts on a few things now?

What do you want to know about the front fender? I believe it's off a 350. I haven't tried fitting it yet, but I have a feeling it's going to be interesting if I toss some 4" tires on it. I took the rear fender and air boxes out to the bike this morning before work, neither look like an easy fit. The boxes have filters in them that are pretty clean. I forget some of the subtle differences between the 350s and 360s. The 350s had angled out carburetors because of the single frame tube in between them, and the mounting rubbers are angled to match. I don't know if they'll be worth my efforts to make work. Pods might be a better option. So for sure, I can use the taillight, and maybe the front fender. Were you wanting the fender?

There's no way you will fit a 4" tire with that fender. It's also the earlier cb350 fork legs which have a different mounting pattern than your cb360 forks. I have a front fender that matches yours, but want to extend the front and back of it, which would be easier if I had a matching one(hint hint).

I'll see if I can whip up a front fender that will fit your 360 AND a 4" tire for you in trade if you are cool with that. Also, I can figure out a way to make a rear fender that will fit your bike with little modification. I could also use those air box shrouds if you don't think you can use them. Pretty please?

I think we can work that out. I'd be pretty happy with a beefy fork brace and/or a fender if that helps any. I might also take some pods if you have 'em. Then we can start talking about you selling me some of your in-laws parts at a cut rate so you can recoup some of your expenses.

Back
Top Bottom