Honda NX650 Dominator tracker

Darn it! Just got home from the garage and dind't read it earlier.

Im using original wheel. The chain must run straight when looking from the back, thats the main rule. Also, it has little chain adjuster bolts in the rear end of the swing arm. If they're set for the same length, the wheel should be straight.

Why do you ask? Logically the distance between the rim and left/right side of swingarm should be the same.

Hi Tort,

The swingarm is not symetrical, thats the problem. The swingarm is wider (measured from the centerline of the whole bike) on the chainside, so when you lace the rim to be in the middle of the swinger, its not in the middle of the bike. So therefor i want to know the offset of the rim.

(it could be optical illustion though, i'll measure it again with a chain laser this afternoon.)

Maybe its an illusion because the part of the frame where the rear shock is situated is not very symmetrical and its rather freaky from back there ;D But this is not a problem, if original wheel is used. You align it straight and that's how it's meant to be. Ofcourse, if a different wheel is used, it might need spacers to get the same alignment.

But ill try to remember when i go next time and measure it if needed. Its going to be at least a week i think.

Hehe, i think you're not understanding what i mean. We are using the same hub and rim but they got coated and we're in need of a new set of spokes.

Once more, my question is simple. Does the rim sit in the middle of the hub or does the rim need some offset spoke tensioning?

Ok, i understand now. The spokes are all the same and no offsetting while re-assembling should be needed. The centre of the rim should be between the left and right side spoke sockets of an assembled hub (it consists of 2 parts). If you tension the spokes equally while re-assembling, it should sit right in the middle.

If not, then my wheel is nothing to go by, because that's what i did. It may be that the hub is wider from the left side, for example, and due to that the swing-arm is a bit asymmetrical also, but that doesn't change the way to reinstall new spokes. My wheel turned out fine.

I know for sure you need 2 different sizes of spokes. I measured today and will post pictures later on. Dslr pics, on ipad now...

Interesting. Mine were all the same and i picked randomly from the pile of refurbished spokes while reassembling and it turned out fine.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx650-dominator-1989-european-direct-sales_model3880/partslist/F__1400.html#results

you can see the spokes are numbers 6 & 7. When they would be all the same, they would be all 6's or 7's right?

-

http://www.cross-center.com/en/spokes-and-spoke-sets/all-spokes/spoke-set-nx-650-dominator-17-88-94-rear-wheel.html

Strange.. here they say the innies are longer then the outies. Doesn't make sense at all..

Thought of asking you the same. Mine is '90 and it has a disc already. So yeah, it could be different. First ones had drums.

I have a manual for drum brake version and i made you a screenshot about rear wheel assembly. That is all the info they have about rear wheel spokes: http://www.upload.ee/image/3865211/Screen_Shot_2014-02-02_at_9.58.39_PM.png

If i were you, i'd complete the wheel the same way it used to be and if you tension the spokes about equally, it should fix itself to the right position.

I cut the old spokes and they"re long gone. That picture is EXACTLY what i need but then for the dischub.. :(

The picture you provided is for the 88 and 89 model. The 89 model uses the same hub as the 90 model, so offset should be 8mm on all then. In the picture you can clearly see the spokes are different sizes. I'm really confused now.

Seems that they are indeed of different length. I wouldn't trust a random 2-nd party webpage about the innie-outie thing. Still it seems that you need 16 pcs of one length and 16 pcs of other. You could check from your local Honda dealership, maybe they have more detailed manuals. Or if they confirm you need 16+16 set, order it from anywhere you like and its easier to figure out if you have the hub, rim and spokes in front of you on the table :)

Bert Jan said:
The picture you provided is for the 88 and 89 model. The 89 model uses the same hub as the 90 model, so offset should be 8mm on all then. In the picture you can clearly see the spokes are different sizes. I'm really confused now.

The picture goes to early drum brake models. I dont know if the switch to disc was in 89 or 90, but my mid-90 has a disc already.

The hub looks the same though, (not looking at the part where the disc/drum is located). I think the bosses where the spokes sit in are the same and thats the point where they're asking you to measure the 8mm. Right?

Got me confused for a sec, i started believing you have drum :) Im sure the disc brake hubs are all the same. Which brings me to this question - if the spokes are different, how come i picked randomly from the pile and the wheel turned out great? Had is adjusted in a shop afterwards and the guy said that its tops! ;D

The wheel turning out great on itself has nothing to do with being alligned properly in the whole bike. The spokes for disk hubs are 210mm and 212mm. The short ones are for the inside hub flange holes, the longer ones are for the outside spokes.

That means the wheel will be centered if you take the middle between the flanges as reference.
I measured that today and found out it's correct.

I found out looking at the pics i wanted to upload. Its all good. The middle of the hub
(Between the flanges) has to be the middle of the rim. The hub in total is offcenter when you take the swingarm as reference. Thats ok cause the swinger is not symmetrical either.

I'm gonna lace her up and i think it'll be just fine.
I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the help man!

Bert Jan said:
The wheel turning out great on itself has nothing to do with being alligned properly in the whole bike. The spokes for disk hubs are 210mm and 212mm. The short ones are for the inside hub flange holes, the longer ones are for the outside spokes.

If the only difference between the spokes is the length of the spoke (2mm) and you can re-assemble it incorrectly with incorrect alignment, buy yourself a beer. I'd say it's not possible, because the difference is so little and you can adjust it by the length of the thread and nipple.

Also, if you're using original swingarm, original hub and original rims, what's all the fuss about measuring things? Put it together, adjust the spokes properly and you're done.

Back
Top Bottom