What's a good Dupli-Color red?

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I've decided on red for my cafe' racer project. While browsing the Dupli-Color display at Pep Boys, I was a little overwhelmed at all the choices. All the caps are the same for all the reds, so that's no help.

What's a nice, bright, racing red? I want RED. Or, as they say it down here...Ray-ed!. There were several GM colors. Toyota has a color called "Super Red", but all the stores only stock one can of it. I'd have to make a couple of stops.

Its really up to you.

Though I would suggest a high quality clear coat on top of whatever you choose. My local CarQuestpaint supply has a 2-part clear in a rattle can. UV/gas resistant. You don't want to spend hours laying down purdy paint, only to have it ruined by a little gas splashing over.

You can order the clear( and some way cool candy/flakey reds) here.
http://www.rothmetalflake.com/RattleBombTemp.html

I already have Maxx2K clear.

I'm not letting someone else judge or pick for me...I'd be happy to decide if I could tell the difference between the paint codes on the Dupli-Color can.
I was hoping someone could say "Yeah, that Toyota color rocks!", or "The GM yada-yada is a little orange, don't use that one.", etc. Like I said, the caps are no indication.

I was in the same boat last year. Had a red in my mind but was confused with the choices and the cap colour never helped any. I ended up buying one thinking it would be perfect, but was horrible. My second attempt was exactly what I wanted. I went with Dupli-Color CT0354000 Flame Red. Here are a couple of pics to show the colour.

tank.jpg

tankPolish.jpg

tankDecal.jpg

I am using the laser red from the newer mercury cougar. I went by the cap of the can in the store and it looks better in the sun. Just a little metallic to it. ferrari red is beaten to death.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Find a car that you love the color of, than see if Duplicolor produces that paint. If they do not, almost any automotive paint supply store will mix you rattlecans or whatever color you wish.

+ 1. C-Max (Napa Paints) mixed me the paint I needed to match my Rav4, Duplicolor didn't have it cost about 13 bucks. Matched great, covered really good and I still have more than half a can. the Duplicolor cans don't go very far in the auto paint. I did use their enamel red, full size rattle can for the stripe on my 450 in my avatar that was a good red. Matched the Honda decals almost perfectly.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom