CB550f 1976 back from the dead project.

Hey all, been a few days..

I've got my YZF750 forks in, and installed them just for mock-up and because i sold my old fork. So-called buyer cancelled last-minute. Sucks donkeyballs..
I hope someone can help me identify the year of the forks, because they came without axle. Front wheel is present so axle and spacers are all i need.
PO bought the forks for streetfighter project years ago and had no idea about the year and exact model. All i know it's from an YZF 750.

Problem is most YZF axles are 22mm in the thin part, 28mm on the thick part and 245mm wide total. Mine needs to be at least 2cm longer. (265mm)
the shorter one seems to be for the R series (R1/R6 and such..)
Here are some pics, please help me find out wich axle i need. Already managed to find the right steeringtube-bearings, and wheel bearings also to get my CB hub in with dual 6 caliper brakes :)

Ive got my CB axle in it now and no spacers (just for the mock-up, so no worries about wheelies hehe), so the wheel is not "nicely alligned" :p Here some pics:

IMG_5694.jpg

IMG_5684.jpg

IMG_5685.jpg

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

and yes, the fork needs service on the oil restrictor right-side :p First want it all to fit, then blast and coat it.

This one looks about right btw:

Managed to find the right axle. 5bucks YEAY!

I'm now on the hunt for wheel bearings. OD 42mm, ID 22mm and width 13mm (12 or 14 would be ok to i guess..) can't find em.

The conversion to hydraulic clutch is so awesome man, you've got some good work going on!

I know you can find those wheel bearings on allballsracing.com. Not sure how one for a unicycle will work out...

Keep up the great work.
-jordan

send them an email. Hope they can help me out. Unicycle bearings on their way to, I need to get her rolling with the original wheel because i'm moving houses and sold the YZF wheel. Keep you guys updated!

Ohw one more thing/ Can anybody explain to me why only one of the front wheel bearing has a boss? the right one just floats in the hub? I seriously think that's stupid. Eager to know why the Japs did it that way.

If you mean that only one bearing is retained, that's an excellent idea. Hubs are usually machined with two retaining rings and bearings are pressed in with a steel spacer between them. Any tolerance stack up or expansion of teh parts creates undue stress on the bearings.

Locating one bearing and allowing the other to self align is afar better solution.

Hmm, ok teaser, that's true. Wondering why 99.9% of all hubs has two retainers. I was a bit confused cause i had never seen it before. The retaining ring proved strong enough to withstand left/right forces but i was a bit confused. Cool to know its normal.
Teaser, i've seen you know a little sum sum about mech's..What's your opinion in the bearings i found on that unicycle site?
And is it possible to machine a 1mm adapter? (25mm bearing on a 26mm steering tube..)

me to Dean, me to ;)

The girl and i recently moved houses, so that consumed all of our time for the past weeks. Now that it's coming together i can do some little this and thats on the bike. Ordered bearings, rebuild the brake calipers, scored a 750f2 tank, seat is going WM style and some high MX bars. I'm going to stick with the 18" stock wheel, 17" 3-spoke wheel sucks donkeyballs in a '76 bike..
Went on a little trip past month with the bike and the clutch conversion works like a charm. No problems at all. No leaks and such. Happy :)

Hey all,

Got a huge assignment for my work as a videographer, won't be here coming weeks. After that i have some cash to spend on luxury-goods (read:parts)

Hey all,

been a while, sorry :)

So, i've got my wheel bearings in, looking good. Also ordered the needle bearing steerer kit, and due to a 26mm bearing id and 25 od fork, used a 0.5mm shim from a bike store (apperantly they shim seatposts in frames with them..) wich needed a little tapping. Bearings are both in and working properly. Next is some risers on the steererplate (dont know the correct name). Planning on drilling two 8mm holes and fit the cb200 type risers on the steerer plate, with big-arse shims underneath. Maybe weld them on, i don't know yet.
Brake calipers need to be serviced as well, tedious and expensive job and a big hurdle for me. Well, so far so good.
Will post pics when the original wheel is mounted. Will look sexy :)

Soooooooo.. pictures!

Problem:
19092011453.jpg

Solution:
19092011454.jpg

20092011456.jpg

Undersides needed to be milled 7 degrees to fit the yoke.
20092011457.jpg

Countersunk so 8mm 8.8 allen heads fit right in :)
20092011458.jpg

20092011459.jpg

20092011460.jpg

20092011461.jpg

20092011462.jpg

Jig for welding:
20092011463.jpg

Welding comes tomorrow - gonna clean the yoke tomorrow before welding and put the whole thing in the oven for about 1 hour to heat up so welding goed better.
And i was out of allen bolts so thats why there's one normal metric bolt for welding.

Already happy with how the risers turned out, hope the yoke will stay straight under all those filthy amps tomorrow *crossed fingers*

I installed the original front wheel today,with the unicycle bearings. Also machined a spacer between the bearings inside the hub. Everything fitted perfect and it was a less than 5 minute job. Sweet.

I'm working on the brake discs now and the PO removed the floaters and replaced them with 5mm allen bolts and washers. Don't ask me why. Is there a site/shop/anything where i can order new floaters or get them replaced? Not so keen on the 5mm bolts on my front brake system.

Found some calipers on eBay from an FZR600 with the same measurements. Hope they fit like a glove. Then i have to machine to adapter-rings for between the hub and brakediscs and adapters to fixate the wheel in the middle, and bleed the brake. Fix my wiring/headlight and i'm good to go.

Can't fucking wait.

update pics. (Colors are a bit funky cause i forgot to put my 7D in nerd-mode after music-video wich needed this config)

Schermafbeelding2011-09-24om144924.png

Schermafbeelding2011-09-24om144933.png

Schermafbeelding2011-09-24om144940.png

_MG_6608.jpg

Not sure if i want to make the welds smooth or leave em this way. Like the DIY factor a lot..

yeah yeah, i know... 30 days blabla..

here are some pics of what it looks like right now. No big updates as i am in my final year and need to study a shitload.
29102011502.jpg

29102011501.jpg

Back
Top Bottom