The bike Honda never built - or, my MR250 Elsinore for the Vintage 1000

Mr.E said:
If a 74 CR250 rear sprocket is the same as a 76 rear sprocket, theres a 48 tooth on ebay right now in Oregon. Stock calls for a 47 tooth, but I can also use a XR200R front sprocket to play around with ratios there. The bolt pattern is the hurdle i need to get over.
yes same cr mr mt xl (we are talking 72-77 or so)the only diff in the rear hubs is the cr/mr use no cushion dampers but dimensionally otherwise all are identical

xb33bsa said:
yes same cr mr mt xl (we are talking 72-77 or so)the only diff in the rear hubs is the cr/mr use no cushion dampers but dimensionally otherwise all are identical

Good deal, I'll order the XL sprocket from JT then and just check the alignment. The giant sprocket that i pulled off wasnt dished, and I've seen a few MR's that didnt have dished rears, so I guess I'll find out soon if I gotta make a spacer.

in my opinion you should gear it up for a more relaxed 60mph cruise less teeth in the back than stock like equivelent of raising one in the front at least
you can always drop one or 2 up front if you need to, anywhere on the trail ,but if you are going to be riding on roads with cars the stock gearing will be too low
and as long as you are not doing single track the taller gearing may be fine the whole trip

xb33bsa said:
in my opinion you should gear it up for a more relaxed 60mph cruise less teeth in the back than stock like equivelent of raising one in the front at least
you can always drop one or 2 up front if you need to, anywhere on the trail ,but if you are going to be riding on roads with cars the stock gearing will be too low
and as long as you are not doing single track the taller gearing may be fine the whole trip

I'll have to check my notes, but I think I've still got a +2 front sprocket in the box for this one. Yes I do want it to be a little higher than stock for the road parts so it's not winding it guts out to keep with the herd. When I got the bike, it had a 53 tooth monster on the back and -1 tooth up front. I can't imagine what it was being used for with that combo except plowing fields

the other thing is if you are packing gear on the bike ,poundage,you will need firmer springs
i will offer to sponsor you for a firmer set
i have a half a dozen of those shocks here so i can tell what you have and then find something firmer that fits
i have lots of cosmetically challengerd springs many would never see use again anyway

xb33bsa said:
the other thing is if you are packing gear on the bike ,poundage,you will need firmer springs
i will offer to sponsor you for a firmer set
i have a half a dozen of those shocks here so i can tell what you have and then find something firmer that fits
i have lots of cosmetically challengerd springs many would never see use again anyway

Yeah? ok I'll PM you man, thanks.

And the weekend is half over, yet the ebay seller that sent the wrong rings for the piston says he mailed them on tuesday. No rings yet. Guess the motor isnt going in this weekend. Oh well, found a kill switch, installed the rest of the controls, checked continuity, installed grips, dropped the wheels off to have rubber put on, and im finishing up little things like rear brake pedal, and all the nuts and bolts that get swept aside and poorly substituted later. Pics later

Mr.E said:
And the weekend is half over, yet the ebay seller that sent the wrong rings for the piston says he mailed them on tuesday. No rings yet. Guess the motor isnt going in this weekend. Oh well, found a kill switch, installed the rest of the controls, checked continuity, installed grips, dropped the wheels off to have rubber put on, and im finishing up little things like rear brake pedal, and all the nuts and bolts that get swept aside and poorly substituted later. Pics later

you could put the engine in advandage of having it bolted to something so you can beat the cylinder in place with a fancy hammer,thats all

Mr.E said:
And the weekend is half over, yet the ebay seller that sent the wrong rings for the piston says he mailed them on tuesday. No rings yet.

l42tlgG.gif

3067-070816090448.jpeg

So I got these. But not from the ebay seller. I bought them local. Lesson learned there. They gave me a good deal on them, had them within 36 hours of me walking in the door. Meanwhile the ebay seller tried to say they were waiting on me to return the wrong rings before shipping the correct ones - after telling me the correct rings had shipped the previous day. Bear in mind I had already had the cylinder cut for this piston and explained the time crunch I was in, so after telling him to just keep the set he had yet to send, and the set I had now sent back and just refund the ring portion of the sale, he said that since i hadnt made it a priority to send the bad rings back, he didnt make it a priority to send the right ones either. Which brings me back to "yeah they went in the mail yesterday" and "guess our shipping dept had a dyslexic day." So we'll see how this goes. Still havent heard.

Anyways:

3067-070816091356.jpeg

here's to progress!

Got that all done and the lid put on. Set about making a speedo delete for the front wheel, so I can install the front wheel and get it off the stand and pop the motor in.

Nothing fancy, just the same thickness as the speedo drive and cups both bearing diameters.

3067-070816090553.jpeg

And it goes something like this

3067-070816090759.jpeg

3067-090816073720.jpeg

Here's a little more till I unscramble my picture taking process

on the super trapp beware they plug up prettyy quick on 2 strokes
especially if you start loosing packing and it is good and oily
this will lead to maddening running issues that will make you crazy
so just be aware that if the bike stops reving out and acts powerless remove the the discs !
then lsater clean them
it doesnt take much many times competing in enduros and trail riding i would come upon =some poor sap who cannot get his ktm 495 up a hill cause its got no power
it was always plugged up discs, stock they are too close together for an oil burner and need careful cleaning every otherr good long ride
but i used em on my kdx2oo in serious competition on the way to top 20 ama expert ranking,i ran about 5 discs is all,see, but put 3 or six nails in the holes in the discs
curesponding holes in the end cap and 2 small brass washers between eachdisc plate over the nails to gap them much more
that was a cure i invented and i never plugged up a trap

Funny you mention that about the supertrapp, as when I get to work on it next my plan is to pull all the discs and keep tweaking (it runs btw). Yep. Ya'll bear in mind that my spastic way of posting progress doesnt always reflect a totally accurate timeline, and is usually posted a while after its actually done, and I'm only posting about 25% of whats going on because I lose track of where the pics are - if I take any at all of whats being done.

So! Muffler ia freshly cleaned and packed (I know i took pics somewhere, no idea where) and I bought a 6er of suppertrapp discs to go with the 4 I had. I think there's 7 on there right now, but yeah, I need to pull them and tune open for now. Also, It's running pretty rich, so I'm waiting on jets to arrive (today i hope) to mess around there. Front brakes should be in today too, and I'm not quite happy with my front wheel spacer. After all that, I gotta plug up the lights, and hook up the bicycle speedo. Gonna be a busy few days here. Oh, and also finish my gear rack, finish packing, blah blah

here's a pic of it all together

3067-090816121938.jpeg

And since then I've busted stuff and repaired things, but I'll cover that later.

44e458d38e4728532cf2a9e8d1626562.jpg

"Fare thee well o Hiawatha!
Fare thee well o mighty warrior." ~ Bugs Bunny

Redbird said:
44e458d38e4728532cf2a9e8d1626562.jpg

"Fare thee well o Hiawatha!
Fare thee well o mighty warrior." ~ Bugs Bunny

Haha, it'll be my luck something ridiculous breaks on it 5 miles from the start.

Back
Top Bottom